Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Perspectiva cultural - translation

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old May 27, 2009, 04:19 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Question Perspectiva cultural - translation

"Vamos a mejorar la escuela," dice Maya. "Por ejemplo," dice Javier, "el próximo año queremos tener un club de inglés." Éstas son las palabras de dos candidatos al consejo estudiantil del Colegio Interamericano, una escuela privada en la Cuidad de Guatemala. Es una escuela bilingüe donde todos los estudiantes toman unas clases en inglés y otras en español. Por eso, la idea de un club de inglés es muy popular.

Hay dos grupos rivales que esperan ganar el consejo estudiantil. El grupo de Maya y Javier es el más organizado. Su equipo tiene cuatro estudiantes: Maya es candidata a presidenta, Javier a vicepresidente, Luis Enrique a secretario y Margarita a tesorera.

En el Colegio Interamericano hay muchas actividades extracurriculares. La mayoría de los estudiantes participan en algún deporte. Muchos trabajan en el periódico escolar o en la nueva revista literaria. También hay un club de teatro. A veces el grupos hacen fiestas o venden dulces, pasteles o frutas para ganar dinero para algún proyector.

"El próximo año voy a estar muy ocupada," dice Maya, "y no voy a poder participar en el club de teatro. Para mí el club es muy importante, pero ser presidenta del consejo estudiantil es todavía más importante.

TRANSLATION

"We're going to improve the school," says Maya. "For example," says Javier, "next year we want to have an English club." These are the words of 2 candidates of Student Council of Interamericano College, a private school in Guatemala City. It is a bilingual school where all the students take classes in English and others in Spanish. Therefore the idea of an English club is very popular.

There are two rival groups that are hopeful to win the Student Council. The group of Maya and Javier is the most well organized. Their team has four students: Maya is the president candidate, Javier the vice president, Luis Enrique the secretary, and Margarita the treasurer.

In the Interamericano College there are many extracurricular activities. The majority of the students participate in some sport. Many work in the school newspaper or the new literary magazines. Sometimes the groups do parties or sell candies, cakes or fruits to earn money for some projector.

"Next year I am going to be very busy," says Maya, "and I am going to not be able to participate in the Theatre Club. For me the club is very important, but being the Student Council president is still more important."

Last edited by Jessica; May 27, 2009 at 07:28 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:03 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
"Vamos a mejorar la escuela," dice Maya. "Por ejemplo," dice Javier, "el próximo año queremos tener un club de inglés." Éstas son las palabras de dos candidatos al consejo estudiantil del Colegio Interamericano, una escuela privada en la Cuidad de Guatemala. Es una escuela bilingüe donde todos los estudiantes toman unas clases en inglés y otras en español. Por eso, la idea de un club de inglés es muy popular.

Hay dos grupos rivales que esperan ganar el consejo estudiantil. El grupo de Maya y Javier es el más organizado. Su equipo tiene cuatro estudiantes: Maya es candidata a presidenta, Javier a vicepresidente, Luis Enrique a secretario y Margarita a tesorera.

En el Colegio Interamericano hay muchas actividades extracurriculares. La mayoría de los estudiantes participan en algún deporte. Muchos trabajan en el periódico escolar o en la nueva revista literaria. También hay un club de teatro. A veces el grupos hacen fiestas o venden dulces, pasteles o frutas para ganar dinero para algún proyector.

"El próximo año voy a estar muy ocupada," dice Maya, "y no voy a poder participar en el club de teatro. Para mí el club es muy importante, pero ser presidenta del consejo estudiantil es todavía más importante.

The sentence in purple wasn't translated below. Mistakes are in red.

TRANSLATION

"We're going to improve the school," says Maya. "For example," says Javier, "next year we want to have an English club." These are the words of 2 candidates of Student Council of (missing word) Interamericano College, a private school in Guatemala City. It is a bilingual school where all the students take (missing word) classes in English and others in Spanish. Therefore the idea of an English club is very popular.

There are two rival groups that are hopeful to win the Student Council. The group of Maya and Javier's group is the most well organized. Their team has four students: Maya is the candidate (missing word) president, Javier the vice president, Luis Enrique the secretary, and Margarita the treasurer.

In the Interamericano College there are many extracurricular activities. The majority of the students participate in some (missing words) sport. Many work in the school newspaper or the new literary magazines. Sometimes the groups do parties or sell candies, cakes or fruits to earn money for some projector.

"Next year I am going to be very busy," says Maya, "and I am not going to be able to participate in the Theatre Club. The club is very important for me, but being the Student Council president is still more important."
Corrections/suggestions above.
Some of the suggestions, and I could have offered others, make the narrative flow better. The translation you gave was too literal, like a machine.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:20 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
The Spanish was from my book. I didn't make it. We had to translate it that's all.

But thanks anyways. The mistakes in the Spanish part must have been my typing.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: