Old January 11, 2015, 04:58 PM
Opal

valhalla is on a distinguished road
Qué hay de nuevo

I did not see a forum that was appropriate for what I am going to ask so I picked this one. I have searched the internet for the last hour and a half trying to find how to pronounce the phrase "qué hay de nuevo". I found things on Youtube and other places but they say it so fast that you cannot understand. They are saying the "hay de nuevo" too fast. I am assuming that de nuevo is being run together, and like French sometimes you carry the sound over to the next word, if that makes sense. It sounds like [Kay ah din wav-oh] phonetically.

Will someone please tell me how to pronounce this with some good understandable phonetics. And/or direct me to a site that has a slow audio with it broken down slowly. Mahallo has really good Youtube videos of this for Russian. They break it down slowly so someone that is learning can get it right.

And to verify, does this mean "What's new"?

Thank you!

Valhalla

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 11, 2015, 05:29 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
What's new?
What is there that's new?

Que = keh
hay = aye
de = theh
nuevo = noo eh voh

kehaye thehnwehvo

(The Spanish 'v' and 'b' are both said like the American English 'b', but without touching your lips together.)

Just as we English speakers blend/run words together, so do Spanish speakers.
Being able to tell what is being said at full throttle is an important exercise all learners of the language must totally engage in. Make sure you listen to lots of Spanish as it is spoken by a native and do your utmost to exactly imitate what you're hearing.

If you were learning American English and slowly pronounced every word in "Do you want to go with me or not?" you would certainly be understood, but your question would sound stilted. However, if a native speaker rattled it off as "Ju wanna go 'ith me 'r not?" you, as a learner, would have to pick up on the fact that a native speaker doesn't take the time to say all the individual words and letters that make up the question.

Last edited by Rusty; January 11, 2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old January 12, 2015, 05:08 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Welcome valhalla, and I hope you'll latch onto Rusty's excellent answer. He's entirely right about the listening skills we all need to cultivate; I myself have done better since I started to devote the same amount of time to listening as to reading. A small digital voice recorder is useful for replaying things over and over until they become clear.
Once again, Welcome!
Old January 13, 2015, 03:56 PM
Opal

Hola Rusty!

Gracias por la respuesta! I agree with you 100% and am very aware of the importance of listening and the difference between carefully enunciated words in a learning/ teaching environment and the real world. I'm learning 7 languages at the same time right now so I am painfully aware of what you are saying. But....when I am learning something for the first time I do need to know how it is pronounced in the carefully enunciated way to start. Otherwise I'd end up spelling things like "wouldof" for would have etc. For me anyway, I like to have a visual of the spelling of the words. I need to know the precise, enunciated pronunciation first. Then I can speed it up and get the real world sound after.

I had a Spanish girlfriend at one time and listening to her and her family talking was extremely difficult.... But I knew that if I were familiar with the words that I would eventually be able to pick them out and understand. In each language I'm learning, I write the words or phrases out phonetically after listening over and over and scrutinizing how it is pronounced. Occasionally there are things that are hard to hear like the other night with Que hay de nuevo..which I heard at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-HjTVjfMNM
(at time marker 4:07)

I think I was hearing (phonetically) [Kay i din wavo] The "de" run together with "nuevo" could sound like [din wavo] If you get a chance listen to it and let me know if you hear the same thing. It definitely does not sound like what you wrote out for me. That's another problem I see in all the languages I'm learning, where you get conflicting pronunciations and meanings. You should hear some of the Russian and Swedish language.. It's not easy... I sincerely thank you again for your response and help. Please let me know what you think.

Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What's new?
What is there that's new?

Que = keh
hay = aye
de = theh
nuevo = noo eh voh

kehaye thehnwehvo

(The Spanish 'v' and 'b' are both said like the American English 'b', but without touching your lips together.)

Just as we English speakers blend/run words together, so do Spanish speakers.
Being able to tell what is being said at full throttle is an important exercise all learners of the language must totally engage in. Make sure you listen to lots of Spanish as it is spoken by a native and do your utmost to exactly imitate what you're hearing.

If you were learning American English and slowly pronounced every word in "Do you want to go with me or not?" you would certainly be understood, but your question would sound stilted. However, if a native speaker rattled it off as "Ju wanna go 'ith me 'r not?" you, as a learner, would have to pick up on the fact that a native speaker doesn't take the time to say all the individual words and letters that make up the question.
Gracias Glenn! This seems like a good site so far!

Last edited by Rusty; January 13, 2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old January 13, 2015, 05:04 PM
Señor Speedy

There are 21 countries where Spanish is spoken and not one of them pronounces the words the same way as the other. All of the pronunciations and different vocabulary can be learned, so don't worry, but there are definitely variations. That explains why the person in the video pronounces things a bit differently than how Spanish is pronounced where I learned it.
Old January 14, 2015, 01:17 PM
Opal

Hey Rusty,

Cómo le va? I guess you just have to pick a source to learn from and stick with it in the beginning....Where did you learn Spanish?

Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
There are 21 countries where Spanish is spoken and not one of them pronounces the words the same way as the other. All of the pronunciations and different vocabulary can be learned, so don't worry, but there are definitely variations. That explains why the person in the video pronounces things a bit differently than how Spanish is pronounced where I learned it.
Old January 14, 2015, 02:30 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
Hey Rusty,
Where did you learn Spanish?
In four different countries of Central America.

Tags
pronunciation

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: