Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Help With Basic Spanish ...

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old August 26, 2018, 03:22 PM
Opal

GadgetJim57 is on a distinguished road
Help With Basic Spanish ...

My daughter-in-law's grandparents will be moving in soon. The grandpa speaks no English. Grandma speaks a little English, but not much. So, I would really like to get a head start with a few basic Spanish phrases that I can use to communicate with the grandpa ….

Here are a few phrases I need help with …

> Let's play a game of checkers.
> Your turn.
> Do you want to go get a burrito ?
> I will pay for the food.
> Do not hit the dog ! (The grandpa is old, stubborn, and has a bad habit of hitting and kicking animals !)
> Do not kick the dog !
> Are you hungry (grandpa has hypoglycemia and diabetes really bad. He doesn't take care of himself, so needs reminding to eat …)

I would greatly appreciate anyone helping me ... I will have many more phrases to learn ...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:05 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

We are a community of Spanish learners, so don't usually provide translations outright. We would much rather have you provide us with your own translations, and then we can help you get them right.

Better than just asking us for a translation (which we usually steer away from), try asking grandpa himself how to say things. He would really like to teach you how to say things in his language. A word here, a word there, then a verb and some "little words" (and tons of patience) will get you communicating.

I have simplified the sentences you wrote somewhat. Complex sentences won't be expected by grandpa and, quite frankly, won't be very useful to you, either. Start with basic material.

Plug the translations into a machine translator so you can pronounce the words. Grandpa might say things you don't understand, so take that opportunity to start to learn.

Do you want to play checkers?
¿Quiere jugar a las damas?

Your turn.
Le toca.

Do you want to go eat something/a burrito (with me)? I'm buying.
¿Quiere ir a comer algo/un burrito (conmigo)? Lo pago yo.

Don't hit/kick the dog!
¡No golpee/patee al perro! -or- ¡Deje de golpear/patear al perro!

Are you hungry?
¿Tiene hambre?

All sentences assume you will be addressing one individual, using a respectful register.

Have fun learning!!

Last edited by Rusty; August 27, 2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: further consolidation

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: