Old August 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Letter "j"

I often hear in songs that "j" isn't even pronounced. For example "déjame" - "déame" or "lejos" - "leos".
Though, I've never heard that by native-speakers when they're talking. Does it only happen in songs or is it a regional thing?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium View Post
I often hear in songs that "j" isn't even pronounced. For example "déjame" - "déame" or "lejos" - "leos".
Though, I've never heard that by native-speakers when they're talking. Does it only happen in songs or is it a regional thing?
Buena pregunta Premium that I would like to know about. Sin embargo parlando de la letera J, (jota) you brought up another question about it I have been wondering about for years. I lived with my girlfriend and her sister that spoke el español de Nuevo Mexico. They claimed that their ancestors were from Spain and really had nothing to do with Mexico per se. Well anyway they pronounced the letter "j" very harshly which is the way the Spanish speak it or the way they did when they went to New Mexico in the 1600s or 1700s. So along with your question I am wondering about the difference between the way the J in Spanish vs the J of Latin America is pronounced. Have you heard that glottal raspy J sound before Premio? Something somewhat similar to rolling the Spanish letter r but the sound is in the throat.

Last edited by Villa; August 11, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 11, 2013, 05:33 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Premium: It's a regional thing. I've heard the harsher pronunciation in some parts of Spain, and the softer in the Caribbean. As for songs, it also depends on the singer's histrionic features.
Old August 12, 2013, 04:38 AM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Have you heard that glottal raspy J sound before Premio? Something somewhat similar to rolling the Spanish letter r but the sound is in the throat.
I once heard it by a Spanish singer, it almost sounded like a guttural R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Premium: It's a regional thing. I've heard the harsher pronunciation in some parts of Spain, and the softer in the Caribbean. As for songs, it also depends on the singer's histrionic features.
Thanks.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: