Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

¿Eres otra persona al hablar otro idioma?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old August 19, 2008, 10:23 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Thanks Poli for your corrections, I haven't changed in my life, only I have learnt more things as example, I know a new language.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 20, 2008, 01:34 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Thanks Poli for your corrections, I haven't changed in my life, only I have learnt more things as example, I know a new language.
I still think a language can change your life if you really love it. As Poli said, it changes us because we learn.Apart from that, a language is not an isolated entity, it's part of a culture and a way of life.
I think I've already told you this (scratched record) but I started reading in English when I was 18 and since then I think I have read only one more book in Spanish and a few in French. I know my attitude is a bit extreme, but this is who I am.
When I'm speaking English I pronounce Spanish names (Antonio, Madrid) with an accent and I assure you it's not a pose. It's simply easier.
Crotalito, I don't mean by this that I am better or worse than somebody who cannot speak English. And I think I understand the learning process (to a certain extent) because I've been trying to learn German on and off for several years and so far I haven't been able to.
Old August 20, 2008, 01:37 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
¿Do you change your personality when you speak another language?
http://www.electronicafacil.net/cien...icle14559.html
Really interesting topic, Sosia. Ta. (I do mean it).
Old August 20, 2008, 11:53 AM
Diamond

María José, I understand you, it's the unit that change, what can I understand you, but in my person, I'm the same person, not another person, of course I'm a person that know another language distintic to my native language, I don't believe what the language can changing you, on the contrary, we know to speak other language, it help us to understand to more people in the world, it help us to can speak with more persons interestering of another countries, I haven't much time learning this language as you have to doing, but the time what I have, it have been sufficient of understand people new to me, I've met new people, I don't meet you, but I write you all the time in this website, it's daily, I have used widely this language, so times, when I have to write in Spanish, the letters I write them in English, unintentionally, then only I have changed in that point, and not in other thing, the change of the person is only in his way to think and learn more things new about the languages, in that point if I believe there is a change.

I hope you are all well today.
Old August 20, 2008, 01:03 PM
Pearl

Marsopa is on a distinguished road
That's amazing Maria Jose

That you have only read in English (except for one book). I have been trying to only read in Spanish, but I have read some English too. I actually agree with you that learning a language really well can change the way you think (are) as a person. It's a really neat phenomenon and a little hard to explain until you experience it. You are not weird at all. Or maybe we both are weird together.
Old August 20, 2008, 03:51 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Un poco tarde... pero Felicidades Poli!

Cuando hablo otro idioma, no cambio. Soy la misma persona. Pero yo creo que el comportamiento de uno (no la personalidad) sí puede cambiar mientras habla en otro idioma. Digo esto porque una de las metas de un buen aprendiz del idioma es que trata de imitar los hablantes nativos para tener mejor pronunciación, intonación etc, y al hacer eso, cambias tu comportamiento y tratas de ser un poco más como los hablantes nativos del idioma que quieres hablar.

Muy interesante el artículo!
Old August 20, 2008, 03:53 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
María José, I understand you, it's the unit that change, what can I understand you, but in my person, I'm the same person, not another person, of course I'm a person that know another language distintic to my native language, I don't believe what the language can changing you, on the contrary, we know to speak other language, it help us to understand to more people in the world, it help us to can speak with more persons interestering of another countries, I haven't much time learning this language as you have to doing, but the time what I have, it have been sufficient of understand people new to me, I've met new people, I don't meet you, but I write you all the time in this website, it's daily, I have used widely this language, so times, when I have to write in Spanish, the letters I write them in English, unintentionally, then only I have changed in that point, and not in other thing, the change of the person is only in his way to think and learn more things new about the languages, in that point if I believe there is a change.

I hope you are all well today.
I understand you, even though I don't share your opinion (not totally, at least).
I hope you are well too.
Old August 20, 2008, 03:59 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Un poco tarde... pero Felicidades Poli!

Cuando hablo otro idioma, no cambio. Soy la misma persona. Pero yo creo que el comportamiento de uno (no la personalidad) sí puede cambiar mientras habla en otro idioma. Digo esto porque una de las metas de un buen aprendiz del idioma es que trata de imitar los hablantes nativos para tener mejor pronunciación, intonación etc, y al hacer eso, cambias tu comportamiento y tratas de ser un poco más como los hablantes nativos del idioma que quieres hablar.

Muy interesante el artículo!
Creo que se te ha cruzado un cable, David... Querías escribir entonación.
Old August 20, 2008, 04:08 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsopa View Post
That you have only read in English (except for one book). I have been trying to only read in Spanish, but I have read some English too. I actually agree with you that learning a language really well can change the way you think (are) as a person. It's a really neat phenomenon and a little hard to explain until you experience it. You are not weird at all. Or maybe we both are weird together.
Thanks, Marsopa. You are right, we might both be weird, but 'good weird'...
You know, I have this friend, who says she doesn't find it strange (and she is not very interested in languages). She also says that you are what you read and she's right to a certain extent...I realize very often I live more in my books and TV shows than in real life (and of course they are all American or English...), but at the same time they help me to get new perspectives on life and get nearer to other peoples, and even understand those I know and love better.Does that happen to you too?
Old August 20, 2008, 10:22 PM
Diamond

Yes, Maria Jose Why do you aren't agree with me.? good at least in some part of my own post you aren't agree with it right.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: