Old June 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
So I sit corrected.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
I agree with poli on US English: we get out of some vehicles and get off of other vehicles.

Whether we get off of it or get out of it depends on several interrelated factors.

For example, if we are completely inside of the vehicle while it moves (airplanes, cars, busses, trucks, trains), we get off of it if we stand and walk to the exit and we get out of it if we open a door next to our seat and set our feet down outside the vehicle in order to stand up.

For boats and ships, it is always possible to say that we get off of it. However, if it is a small boat that we leave by stepping directly off of it instead of using a ramp, we can also say that we get out of it.

If we ride on the outside of the vehicle (horses, bicycles, motorcycles, scooters), we get off of it.

In the case of carts and wagons, it depends partly on the configuration of the cart or wagon and how the passenger is riding on or inside it. In some cases we would get off of it, in some cases we would get out of it, and in some cases we could say either one.
Old June 21, 2011, 03:32 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Now I'm confused - I'm (obviously) familiar with train, bus, trolley, tram and cable car but I thought street-car was just another American name for tram. Also I'm surprised you refer to 'trolley' as these disappeared from Britain in the sixties. They used to be electric-powered (via overhead cable), but unlike trams they were free-steering (no steel rails).

So enlighten me as to what a street-car is, and if there are still trolley-buses in the US, please.

I should say tram-cars also disappeared fifty or sixty years ago, but they're very much back again now as high-tech "Metro-trams" whooshing passengers right from the heart of the city streets miles and miles into the satellite towns. Like the sixty mile one from Alicante to Denia.

Last edited by Sancho Panther; June 21, 2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Appendix
Old June 21, 2011, 06:29 AM
Diamond

chileno is on a distinguished road
wrholt:

Thank you for your detailed post. Very useful.
Old June 21, 2011, 07:27 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panther View Post
Now I'm confused - I'm (obviously) familiar with train, bus, trolley, tram and cable car but I thought street-car was just another American name for tram. Also I'm surprised you refer to 'trolley' as these disappeared from Britain in the sixties. They used to be electric-powered (via overhead cable), but unlike trams they were free-steering (no steel rails).

So enlighten me as to what a street-car is, and if there are still trolley-buses in the US, please.

I should say tram-cars also disappeared fifty or sixty years ago, but they're very much back again now as high-tech "Metro-trams" whooshing passengers right from the heart of the city streets miles and miles into the satellite towns. Like the sixty mile one from Alicante to Denia.
Usage has changed over time here, but depending on where you are (or were), "trolley" and "street car" may be synonyms or they may be distinct. "Tram" is typically viewed as a British term.

Boston's public transportation system has a mixture of modes, that include:
1. busses with internal combustion engines

2. trackless trolleys/electric busses: or free-steering busses powered by overhead cables. Some run on the street, a couple of lines run in dedicated roadbeds or tunnels.

3. the "subway" system: 4 separate rail lines (designated by color and by terminal stations): Different sections run underground, on elevated tracks, or at grade.

One of the lines uses trolley cars/street cars either singly or in pairs: they are powered by overhead wires, and run in dedicated tunnels close to the city center and run at grade level further out, sometimes on dedicated roadbeds and sometimes down the middle of a street competing with regular traffic. This line is typically called a "trolley" or a "street-car".

The other three subway lines have train-like cars connected in groups of between 2 and 6 cars. However, each line has a different mix of power systems, so that the cars from one line cannot operate on a different line without re-configuration. Some lines use 3rd rails, some use overhead wires, and some use both on different sections of track.

4. Commuter rail: higher-speed diesel or diesel-electric trains that connect to the outer suburbs. Some lines share track with inter-city train lines such as Amtrak.

5. Commuter ferries: a couple of passenger ferries from downtown across the harbor to the airport or along the city's coast to neighboring towns to the south.
Old June 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
It's regional. In Philadelphia there are trolleys but they are also known as streetcars. They have tracks and electric cables above. In New Orleans they are very similar system, but known as streetcars(I don't think you can take Desire to the Elysian Fields as Blanche DuBois once did, but that's wouldn't be a very happy ride anyway). San Fransico has cable cars with no electric wire above. The cars are pulled by cables underground. They also have bus-like trolleys powered by electric cables, and streetcars that navigate the hillless of downtown and the embarcadero (I can't remember if they have a wire above of if they are operated by an underground cable)
Old June 21, 2011, 08:04 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panther View Post

If you search images in Google, you'll find that a few of these words overlap.
A search on tram, for instance, shows pictures of what I would call a streetcar (although they look like buses). These travel along certain streets, on rails, and get their power from overhead wires. I also saw a picture of a vehicle that is suspended from a cable. This is what I know as a tram. That and an open, train-like vehicle that transports workers and materials to a mine, on rails, pulled by a cable, are the two trams that I'm familiar with.
A search on streetcar brings up pictures that show a bus-like vehicle traveling along certain streets, on rails, and that get their power from overhead wires. So, the terms streetcar and tram seem to overlap in some instances.
A search on cable car shows images of at least three different vehicles. One is the car that travels on rails along certain streets, pulled by a cable lying under the road level (between the rails). These are very popular in San Francisco, CA, and the one I'm most familiar with. Another picture showed a motorized cable car, which I would call a trolley. The third vehicle I saw showed cars suspended from a cable. That is what I know as a tram.
A search on trolley shows a motorized, bus-like vehicle that travels about on streets. It has wheels (doesn't travel on rails). Many people refer to the cable cars in San Francisco as trolleys, and I even found an image, entitled 'trolley problem', that shows a cable car headed downhill. So, there's another example of overlap.
Perhaps this is why there is some confusion. Now I'm confused.

Last edited by Rusty; June 21, 2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
And going off-topic, my home town in England, Huddersfield, boasted the first electric trolleybuses in the world. The original system was clever - because the town is only hills, the buses going uphill took energy from the grid, and those going downhill generated electricity and fed the grid. This worked brilliantly for a year until it just so happened that all the buses were going downhill at the same time, and blew up the central transformer. Good idea, though.
Old June 21, 2011, 12:59 PM
Diamond

aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
This worked brilliantly for a year until it just so happened that all the buses were going downhill at the same time, and blew up the central transformer.
That probably was in "the good ole time"s where there weren't regional or national power grids and thunderstorms may leave your home in the dark. Or it just was a direct current system in the old age when oscillators were expensive and inefficient and there were no protective elements available in case of a power surge.
Old June 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Well, I'll have to catch up with all the answers, but thanks a lot for all the input... (I am a bit behind the 8-ball...)

Tags
backseat driver, car, get off, get out of, transportation, vehicles

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: