Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary


Perros potencialmente peligrosos

 

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 11, 2010, 06:41 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Perros potencialmente peligrosos

Is there a meaningful difference between perros potencialmente peligrosos and perros peligrosos ? In English, the expression potentially dangerous dogs is tautologous because dangerous means having the potential to harm, so the possibility is contained in that word. Potential is then unnecessary. This may seem like a quibble, but we are arguing about it here in Tenerife, where a child has just been killed by a dog, and where certain breeds of dog are classified as "perros potencialmente peligrosos"

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old June 11, 2010, 07:09 AM
sosia's Avatar
sosia sosia is offline
Ankh-Morpork's citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a 55 cm del monitor
Posts: 2,984
Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
it's only a matter of assert (I don't know if I can say it so )
It's only a short way to say "this dogs are MORE EASY dangerous as others" or "those dogs make MORE HARM as another ones" or "those dogs are MORE difficult to control", or (write what you want...)


When you say "Este perro es peligroso", it's a fact that dog is dangerous
When you say "Este perro es potencialmente peligroso", that dog can be dangerous. I think every dog has "potential"
But some dogs are more difficult to control. You can say is a "listado de perros con mayor probabilidad de ser peligrosos"

The goverment selected some dogs wich, doue to genetic/historic facts, are USUALLY more dangerous, and they called them "Perros potencialmente peligrosos" (Pit Bull Terrier , Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasilero, Tosa inu, Akita Inu.) This list was made on 1999, and dogs like the doberman and rottweiler rotweiller, are not listed.
I don't know if there are a new version.
If you have a "perro potencialmente peligroso", you and your dog needs proper training and must fullfil the law about spaces, vigilance, must carry a chip, must have an attack insurance and so on.
A wild Chihuahua can be dangerous, but not as a wild Pitbull.

saludos
__________________
History, contrary to popular theories, "is" kings and dates and battles.
Small Gods Terry Pratchett

Last edited by sosia; June 11, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 11, 2010, 07:31 AM
Perikles's Avatar
Perikles Perikles is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 4,814
Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
When you say "Este perro es peligroso", it's a fact that dog is dangerous
When you say "Este perro es potencialmente peligroso", that dog can be dangerous. I think every dog has "potential"
Thanks - I guess it is a matter of degree of probability. Rottweiler is now on the list, by the way.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 11, 2010, 09:22 AM
CarmenCarmona CarmenCarmona is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Murcia, España
Posts: 99
Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Is there a meaningful difference between perros potencialmente peligrosos and perros peligrosos ? In English, the expression potentially dangerous dogs is tautologous because dangerous means having the potential to harm, so the possibility is contained in that word. Potential is then unnecessary. This may seem like a quibble, but we are arguing about it here in Tenerife, where a child has just been killed by a dog, and where certain breeds of dog are classified as "perros potencialmente peligrosos"

Thanks.
Maybe 'perros potencialmente peligrosos' is a label that refers to concrete dogs of non-dangerous breeds which have developed an aggressive behaviour for some reason... or maybe not! xD

(Hello by the way!)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
AngelicaDeAlquezar's Avatar
AngelicaDeAlquezar AngelicaDeAlquezar is offline
Obsidiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 8,632
Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Perikles: You're right, "potencialmente peligroso" should be some kind of pleonasm.
But I agree with Sosia's explanation.

A "perro peligroso" is a dog that has already shown some aggressive behaviour (or another feature that would be harmful) and a "perro potencialmente peligroso" is a dog that for some kind of reason (breed, illness, training) could become harmful for people (or for other animals).



@Carmen: Bienvenida de regreso.
__________________
Ain't it wonderful to be alive when the Rock'n'Roll plays...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 12, 2010, 12:27 PM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Perros potencialmente peligrososos or PPP are called those kind of dogs which have been bred to fight (against bulls -pay attention to "bull" in pitbull, bull mastiff or bull terrier, for instance-, bears or dogs). Those dogs are characterized by a powerful jaw (it is said that they don't release their prey, as another dog would do, just press stronger) and they are more pain-resistant than another dogs. The word "potentially" means that not all dogs of these breeds are dangerous, but as their breed has come from a selection of several dogs trained to fight, they are more dangerous than sheep or hunting dogs. A dog character is related to its breed.

When a dog attacks somebody, it is widely known. When humans abandon and maltreat a dog, nobody knows it. When a dog saves somebody's life, nobody knows it. Why?

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/strayd...ildheldatk-993

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(perro)

http://entre-perros-y-gatos.es/2008/...ierte-en-arte/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 14, 2010, 03:58 AM
CarmenCarmona CarmenCarmona is offline
Ruby
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Murcia, España
Posts: 99
Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post



@Carmen: Bienvenida de regreso.
Thanks, although I realised I have no time for this.. which is a pity..

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
When a dog attacks somebody, it is widely known. When humans abandon and maltreat a dog, nobody knows it. When a dog saves somebody's life, nobody knows it. Why?
Because journalists leave a lot to be desired..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 15, 2010, 02:14 PM
sosia's Avatar
sosia sosia is offline
Ankh-Morpork's citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a 55 cm del monitor
Posts: 2,984
Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post

When a dog attacks somebody, it is widely known. When humans abandon and maltreat a dog, nobody knows it. When a dog saves somebody's life, nobody knows it. Why?
"un árbol cayendo hace más ruido que mil creciendo"
__________________
History, contrary to popular theories, "is" kings and dates and battles.
Small Gods Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 16, 2010, 12:23 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
"un árbol cayendo hace más ruido que mil creciendo"
Tienes razón. Una frase muy profunda.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
ookami's Avatar
ookami ookami is offline
Sapphire
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,283
Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
I don't see the difference between "dangerous" and "peligroso":
1. adj. Que tiene riesgo o puede ocasionar daño.
You can see that saying "potencialmente peligroso" is a tautology too. But it is used to remark that potentially.
I just wanted to say that for me it's the same in English and Spanish.
__________________
Please, don't hesitate to correct my English.
'Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.' M.A.
Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X