Old June 01, 2011, 05:52 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Swedish
Jokerstyle is on a distinguished road
What we did today

Hello folks!

In the interest of learning, I figured we could use this thread to write about what we did during the day.
Most other threads here are too advanced (for me ) to be able to provide input in Spanish, so perhaps this will be a good place to start for me and other Spanish newbies to write about and discuss things that happened during the day or general tidbits.
(I used the search but didn't find a similar topic during the last two years, I'm sorry if I missed it or if this is the wrong forum)

Pues, hoy me llevanté un poquísimo tarde a las nueve. Media hora mas tarde fui al banco y cuando llegué a casa otra vez, llavé los platos y empaqué unas cosas porque me novia y yo vamos a irnos (This one I found hard, it's supposed to mean we're going to go away/leave) a Kumla a la tarde.
En un momento, voy a irme al centro en bici para comprar un bote unflable pequeña.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 01, 2011, 07:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerstyle View Post
Hello folks!

In the interest of learning, I figured we could use this thread to write about what we did during the day.
Most other threads here are too advanced (for me ) to be able to provide input in Spanish, so perhaps this will be a good place to start for me and other Spanish newbies to write about and discuss things that happened during the day or general tidbits.
(I used the search but didn't find a similar topic during the last two years, I'm sorry if I missed it or if this is the wrong forum)

Pues, hoy me llevanté un poquitito/poco tarde, a las nueve. Media hora más tarde fui al banco y cuando llegué a casa otra vez, lavé los platos y empaqué unas cosas porque me novia y yo vamos a irnos (This one I found hard, it's supposed to mean we're going to go away/leave) a Kumla en la tarde.
En un momento, voy a irme al centro en bici para comprar un bote inflable, pequeño.

Last edited by chileno; June 01, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old June 01, 2011, 08:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
or "un pequeño bote inflable".

You can say "un bote inflable pequeño" and "un bote inflable y pequeño".

This may be an opportunity to revise how adjective position in Spanish is flexible but not quite. We can't say "un inflable bote pequeño".

We can say "bote inflable" but not "inflable bote" because "inflable" is what tells the difference between that boat and other kinds of boats. But we can say "pequeño bote inflable" because "pequeño" discriminates that boat among "botes inflables" of all sizes.
Old June 01, 2011, 09:16 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstyle
...empaqué unas cosas porque me mi novia y yo vamos a irnos a Kumla...
You could also say "mi novia y yo nos vamos a Kumla", "mi novia y yo iremos a Kumla"...

Quote:
En un momento, voy a irme al centro en bici...
Here you could also say "voy a ir al centro" (the one I'd use) or "voy/iré al centro".

As for the "bote inflable", previous suggestions are alright, and the explanation on the order of adjectives and noun are fine. However, "pequeño" would be implicit if you just said "un botecito inflable".
Old June 01, 2011, 12:22 PM
Ruby

¡Mil gracias por las correcciones a todos!

El pequeño tutorial de adjetivos es muy útil

@ AngelicaDeAlquezar
Quote:
Here you could also say "voy a ir al centro" (the one I'd use)
¿Es porque "Voy a irme" implícito voy a salir, y "voy a ir" implícito voy a un destino?

Quote:
You could also say "mi novia y yo nos vamos a Kumla", "mi novia y yo iremos a Kumla"...
I actually wrote the first one, but I erased it because I thought it looked too fishy If I may, what can I google to find out why both the conjugated form (...vamos a Kumla.) and the infinitive (...iremos a Kumla.) works?

@ aleCcowarn
Quote:
You can say "un bote inflable pequeño" and "un bote inflable y pequeño".
So what I wrote first, un bote unflable pequeño, is mostly grammatically correct? I always thought regular adjectives had to come after the noun, so you inspired me to look it up further on the net.
Here is a link to Durham University where they discuss the matter if any other newcomer would like to read it. (Although sometimes I get the feeling, mostly due to threads like these, that I'm the only Spanish newbie here and everyone else is above-native proficient in the language ^^)

Last edited by Jokerstyle; June 01, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old June 01, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So what I wrote first, un bote unflable inflable pequeño, is mostly grammatically correct?
Except for the misspelling of "inflable" and gender agreement of pequeño, yes, what you wrote is grammatically correct and perfectly appropriate in your context.

The meaning of "un pequeño bote inflable" and "un bote inflable pequeño" is basically identical in the context in which you wrote it.

One cannot say "un inflable bote" because we don't think of being inflatable as being a characteristic that boats generally have. Being inflatable is the distinguishing feature of a particular sub-class of boats, which forces us to place the adjective that describes the distinguishing feature after the noun: we can say only "un bote inflable".

However, a usual feature of inflatable boats is that they are small, at least in comparison to the class of all boats. And in your context there is no particular indication that there are different sizes of inflatable boats from which you need to select a smaller size. As the adjective "pequeño" happens not to have a different figurative meaning when placed before its noun, there would be no particular difference in meaning between saying "un pequeño bote inflable" and "un bote inflable pequeño" in your context.

In a context where there are different sizes of inflatable boats from which you intend to buy a smaller size, only "un bote inflable pequeño" would be valid. In that context you are distinguishing a sub-class (small inflatable boats) from a larger class (inflatable boats of various sizes), rather than mentioning a general characteristic of inflatable boats.
Old June 01, 2011, 04:37 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
@ AngelicaDeAlquezar
Quote:
Here you could also say "voy a ir al centro" (the one I'd use)
¿Es porque "Voy a irme" implícito voy a salir, y "voy a ir" implícito voy a un destino?
That's correct.

Quote:
Quote:
I actually wrote the first one, but I erased it because I thought it looked too fishy If I may, what can I google to find out why both the conjugated form (...vamos a Kumla.) and the infinitive (...iremos a Kumla.) works?
"Iremos" is not an infinitive, it's the conjugation in the future. Both work, because sometimes the present tense can be used to talk about a future action.
Old June 03, 2011, 11:13 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I took me a few time for read all the post, and I consider a great advance in your Spanish input somehow you did the best intent translating your post fully.

Best regards.
Old June 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
Ruby

Hola a todos otra vez!

Vuelvo a escribir hoy, no he escrito desde hace una dia porque no he tenido acceso a ningún ordenador.

Hoy fui de pesca, durante unas horas obtuve cuatro peces que acabo de cocinar. Hace mucho sol, ací que fue muy agradable.

Ahora voy a leer un libro de gramática española que obtuve ayer, quizás aprenderé algo

If any other newbie is reading this thread, you are very welcome to write something aswell, this thread was meant to give more people a chance to practice writing some Spanish without having to keep it within a very narrow topic.

Last edited by Jokerstyle; June 04, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old June 04, 2011, 07:23 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hola a todos otra vez!

Vuelvo a escribir hoy, no he escrito desde hace una un dia día porque no he tenido acceso a ningún ordenador.

Hoy fui de pesca, durante unas horas obtuve cuatro peces pescados que acabo de cocinar. Hace Hacía mucho sol, ací así que fue muy agradable.

Ahora voy a leer un libro de gramática española que obtuve ayer, quizás aprenderé algo

If any other newbie is reading this thread, you are very welcome to write something aswell, this thread was meant to give more people a chance to practice writing some Spanish without having to keep it within a very narrow topic.
¡Qué día más divertido! Espero que los pescados estaban muy sabrosos.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: