Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

Spanish dictionary recommendation for Android

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2014, 07:49 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Portuguese, Chinese
michaelbr is on a distinguished road
Spanish dictionary recommendation for Android

What's your recommendation for Spanish dictionary for Android? I'm using Moon+ Reader as my epub reader and if the dictionary is free would be much better.

Thanks for your comments/recommendation

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 21, 2014, 01:30 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid I don't know about free dictionaries, but if you're willing to spend 8€ / $10 you can get the Oxford Spanish Dictionary. (The version I have installed no longer seems to be available, but the currently available one is about half the price of the one I bought a few years back). The paper version is heavy enough to use as a murder weapon, and it doesn't often let me down.
Old January 21, 2014, 05:07 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
I'm afraid I don't know about free dictionaries, but if you're willing to spend 8€ / $10 you can get the Oxford Spanish Dictionary. (The version I have installed no longer seems to be available, but the currently available one is about half the price of the one I bought a few years back). The paper version is heavy enough to use as a murder weapon, and it doesn't often let me down.
Thanks for your reply, is this a PC dictionary or for Android devices? I'm also interested in PC dictionary in Spanish, BTW the Oxford is Spanish/English or just Spanish?

Thanks
Old January 21, 2014, 02:52 PM
Diamond

That's Android, English-Spanish. You can see tablet screenshots (and I think download a trial version) in the Play store.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:24 PM
Ruby

Quote:
That's Android, English-Spanish. You can see tablet screenshots (and I think download a trial version) in the Play store.
Thanks for your reply, I just found on the net a free Spanish Dictionary for Moon+ Reader, it's called Livio Spanish Dictionary and can be found at Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=Livio&hl=en), it can be integrated into Moon+ epub reader, so when you're reading an epub book and want to find out the meaning of the word, you just hold the word with your finger and it'll bring up the dictionary and showing the entries for the word you're looking for, it's very convenient.
Old February 06, 2014, 02:46 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English, Russian, Hebrew
Valeria is on a distinguished road
Try out Collins Spanish Dictionary. I have it on my galaxy S4 and it's really great. Has a lot of examples and seems to find practically every word I search for. Te recomento usarlo.
Old February 07, 2014, 06:10 PM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeria View Post
Try out Collins Spanish Dictionary. I have it on my galaxy S4 and it's really great. Has a lot of examples and seems to find practically every word I search for. Te recomento usarlo.
Thanks for your reply. Is this Spanish-English or just Spanish? I'd prefer just Spanish, this way you can learn more vocabulary when reading it. I think pronunciation is pretty regular in Spanish, so it's not important, but would be a nice addon.
Old February 08, 2014, 03:15 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbr View Post
I'd prefer just Spanish, this way you can learn more vocabulary when reading it.
In that case you'll want the DRAE. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iccionario.RAE

The downside is that the RAE haven't provided an offline version, so you need an Internet connection to use it.
Old February 09, 2014, 04:50 AM
Ruby

Quote:
In that case you'll want the DRAE. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iccionario.RAE

The downside is that the RAE haven't provided an offline version, so you need an Internet connection to use it.
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately online dictionary is out of question for now because when I'm studying/reading Spanish, I don't have access to wireless, I'll stick with Oxford Spanish-English then.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: