Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary

Dictionary with wildcards

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old February 18, 2009, 06:10 AM
Ruby

lingos is on a distinguished road
Dictionary with wildcards

hello

I would like a spanish dictionary, where you can search using wildcards

for example:
- to search for words starting with "con": con*
- to search for words ending in "con": *con
- to search for words containing "con": *con*

is there an online dictionary like this or a dictionary in a CD?

thanks

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:29 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In hopes that you are serious about finding such a dictionary, and not here to promote a product, I'll provide a link to my favorite one.

This site allows multiple wildcard characters (*, ?, #, @). You can even specify that words be related to a specific topic in order to be included in the results! And there's more!
Words can be entered in any language.

If you forgot the Spanish word for snow, for example, but remembered that it starts with n, this search will help you find it: n*:snow
You can narrow down the results by checking the 'Common words only' link, or by providing more letters (or different wildcards) in your search.
Old February 18, 2009, 04:03 PM
Ruby

thank you very much

this website seems definately interesting for some occasions, but not much for what I need to do

for example, I need to find all the spanish words that contain "ñ" (and I mean all the words, not only the words that are included in a limited web dictionary, but in a reference dictionary as Oxford)

also, I need to organize vocabulary, by building word lists that contain specific diphthongs, or start with specific prefix (eg, all the words that start with multi-, multimedia, multilingual, etc)

also, it would be great to search the spanish dictionary for specific part of speach (adjective, pronoun, etc) for example, all adverbs that end in -ily

thanks
Old February 18, 2009, 04:09 PM
Señor Speedy

You're welcome. It's too bad the web site won't work out for you.

If you want all the words that contain ñ, I doubt you'll find a dictionary that lists them all. You would need to pull information from various dictionaries. That's what the web site I showed you says they do.
Old February 19, 2009, 02:41 AM
Ruby

if not an online dictionary with power search capabilities, maybe is there an EXCEL file with all the spanish words?

where the first column would contain the word, the second the part of speech, the third the gender, the fourth the translation, etc

or maybe a pdf or doc file of a reliable dictionary, so that I can converted in a XLS
Old February 19, 2009, 07:08 AM
Señor Speedy

I don't know of any. Sorry.
I would suppose that language translation software would contain some sort of relational database. Such a database, I'm pretty sure, would be proprietary.
Old February 19, 2009, 08:14 AM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Hi lingos, welcome. What exactly do you need to do? Are you researching something about the Spanish language?
Old February 20, 2009, 02:55 AM
Ruby

hello and thanks

nope, I am not doing any linguistic research about spanish language, it's just that firstly, I need to learn fast and secondly, I learn easier and better when I have organized vocabuary into groups, either by their meaning (thematic vocabulary), or by their orthography, their etymology etc

also, I would like to take looks at all the words that don't follow the rules or are exotic, eg all the words that contain "ñ", that end in -la and are not masculine, that are stressed in other than penultimate, although that they end in other than o,e,n etc

generally I want to filter all the spanish words that are contain in a reference dictionary, by using filters about their orthography, grammar, etymology, gender, etc

I understand that some of these filtered word lists may be vast, but this ability (to filter words per criteria and make word lists) would be beneficial as a learning tool, as for me at least

since what I ask may be too specific, it would be nice if there is a reliable reference dictionary for spanish on the web displayed as "index"

I will post an example (it is for the greek language, but it doesn't matter)

http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLa...=%CE%91%2A&dq=

it is reliable (it is published as a book from a famous and well accepted philologist), it contains pronunciation, grammar, gender, etymology, etc

with a such dictionary I may be able to organize the data in an excel and then to display only the words (full entries, with their definition, gender, pronunciation, etc) that match specific criteria (eg, all the words that contain "ll" or that end in -a AND at the same time are masculine, etc, something like boolean search)

thanks

Last edited by lingos; February 20, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old February 20, 2009, 06:14 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Look here, perhaps yuou're lucky and find something
listado diccionarios español
Saludos
Old February 21, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ruby

thanks sosia

however, from my experience with online dictionaries and wordlist, I have found that english pages have normaly english-foreign dictionaries and such dictionaries are very primitive and limited

for example, in that webpage there is no reference to some of the greatest greek dictionaries
www.in.gr/dictionary (english-greek)
http://www.komvos.edu.gr/dictionarie...ictAdvSeaS.htm
http://www.neurolingo.gr/online_tools/lexiscope.htm
http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLa...ica/index.html

that applies to the spanish dictionaries as well, none seem to a reliable reference and offer search capabilities

is there any spanish-spanish reference dictionary on the web?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: