Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Arkansas Cop Tasers 10-Year-Old Girl

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old November 19, 2009, 05:27 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Arkansas Cop Tasers 10-Year-Old Girl

Arkansas Police Use Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl

Arkansas Cop Tasers 10-Year-Old Girl

Read!!

Quote:
Ozark police were called to the home Nov. 11 after the girl's mother couldn't get the child to take a shower.

Quote:
Ark. cop suspended after using Taser on girl, 10
(AP) – 9 hours ago

OZARK, Ark. — A police officer who used a stun gun on an unruly 10-year-old girl after he said her mother gave him permission has been suspended — not for using the Taser but for not having a video camera attached when he used it.

Mayor Vernon McDaniel said officer Dustin Bradshaw was suspended Wednesday for seven days with pay. McDaniel said the suspension is for not following department procedures because he didn't have the camera on.

McDaniel wants Arkansas State Police or the FBI to look into whether the use of the Taser was proper. The girl, who hasn't been identified, wasn't injured and is now at the Western Arkansas Youth Shelter in Cecil.

Police were called to the home Nov. 11 after the girl's mother couldn't get her to take a shower.

Bradshaw's report says the girl was "violently kicking and verbally combative" when Bradshaw tried to take her into custody, and she kicked him in the groin. He said he delivered "a very brief drive stun to her back."

"Her mother told me to tase her if I needed to," Bradshaw wrote.

Kim Brunell, a spokeswoman with the FBI in Little Rock, said her office neither confirms nor denies when it's involved an investigation and declined to comment Wednesday. State police have declined McDaniel's request to investigate.

Police Chief Jim Noggle said Wednesday that Tasers are a safe way to subdue people who are a danger to themselves or others.

"We didn't use the Taser to punish the child — just to bring the child under control so she wouldn't hurt herself or somebody else," Noggle said.

If the officer tried to forcefully put the girl in handcuffs, he could have accidentally broken her arm or leg, Noggle said.

He said a touch of the stun gun — "less than a second" — stopped the girl from being unruly, and she was handcuffed.

"She got up immediately and they put her in the patrol car," McDaniel said.

Noggle said the girl will face disorderly conduct charges as a juvenile in the incident.

The girl's father, Anthony Medlock, told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that his daughter has emotional problems, but that she didn't have a weapon and shouldn't have been Tasered.

"My daughter does not deserve to be tased and be treated like an animal," said Medlock, who is divorced from the girl's mother and does not have custody.

Steve Tuttle, a spokesman for Taser International, said it's up to individual law enforcement agencies to decide when Taser use is appropriate.

In some cases, a Taser "presents the safer response to resistance compared with the alternatives such as fists, kicks, baton strikes, bean bag guns, chemical agents, or canine response," Tuttle said in a statement.

The police chief, who has been Tasered twice himself during training sessions, said his department has never had to use a stun gun on a child or elderly person before, but that in some instances, that could be necessary to ensure safety.

"We don't want to do things like this," Noggle said. "This is something we have to do. We're required to maintain order and keep the peace."

Last edited by Jessica; November 19, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old November 19, 2009, 10:41 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
It bad note a sad life.

You know each day people are more demented.
Old November 29, 2009, 02:40 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
Jason. is on a distinguished road
that is just...not right
Old November 30, 2009, 01:00 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I feel astonished when I see your way of life. Here it's inconceivable that a mother call to the police because her child doesn't want to take a shower . Police is here for important things, not for domestic matters. Furthermore, you can't touch a child, you can't even shake him/her because you can lose your legal authority over him/her.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
Diamond

I have a questions.

What's taser?
Old December 27, 2009, 11:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Una pistola eléctrica:

Old December 30, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Chinese, English
chewy is on a distinguished road
Such news even can make it to headlines... let us focus on learning spanish, its is better we'll be happier and with less fine lines
Old December 30, 2009, 01:25 PM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
that is just...not right
Don't let the media fool you. Using a taser on a kid in that situation isn't mean. A taser won't do any lasting damage. Sure, the officer is bigger and stronger. But grabbing her and forcing her to the ground so that she can be restrained will cause injuries that last much longer . . . bruises, cuts, broken bones, or worse.

Plus, getting into a physical altercation puts both the girl and the officer and anyone else in the vicinity at risk.

The officer should be disciplined for not following his department's procedures (failing to turn on his video camera), just the same way as I would be if I didn't follow my boss' rules. But the act of tasering a child isn't, in and of itself, bad.

Now, an officer shouldn't go around tasering whoever he wants. But once someone is being physically combative (she kicked and struck him), a taser is a wonderful tool. In fact, that's exactly what they were designed for.
Old January 02, 2010, 12:50 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
Don't let the media fool you. Using a taser on a kid in that situation isn't mean. A taser won't do any lasting damage. Sure, the officer is bigger and stronger. But grabbing her and forcing her to the ground so that she can be restrained will cause injuries that last much longer . . . bruises, cuts, broken bones, or worse.

Plus, getting into a physical altercation puts both the girl and the officer and anyone else in the vicinity at risk.

The officer should be disciplined for not following his department's procedures (failing to turn on his video camera), just the same way as I would be if I didn't follow my boss' rules. But the act of tasering a child isn't, in and of itself, bad.

Now, an officer shouldn't go around tasering whoever he wants. But once someone is being physically combative (she kicked and struck him), a taser is a wonderful tool. In fact, that's exactly what they were designed for.
you're right
Old January 02, 2010, 11:38 PM
Diamond

Irmamar.

Thank you for the information.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: