Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback

Spanish Verb conjugator - Feedback

Questions, suggestions & feedback about the forums, dictionary or site in general.

Closed Thread

Old September 05, 2010, 05:34 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Spanish Verb conjugator - Feedback

Thank you Tomisimo (David),

Thank you so much for the new feature: Spanish Verb Conjugator. It is great! This is just what I'm looking for. Not only that I'm able to look up the complete conjugation of any verb but also I can pull up a list of meaning for that verb and how each verb might be used in a phrase. If the verb exists in English, it also gives the meaning and in what context it is used. I like it a lot and this will save me time from surfing different sites to find the information that I need.

Again, Thank you,

Vita32

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 05, 2010, 05:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Hey, Davidííííísssimo!!!
That is great! Thank you!!!
Even for a Spanish native, this feature is awesome. (Normally I wouldn't have any question with my conjugations... but "normally" is not always, and having this feature is such a good thing that I can only publicly praise you for 'install it' and encourage everyone to use it.

(One thing that would also be super-cool, it would be to include the "vos" forms, ie., rioplatense style... to carry it over to the top... but I don't know if that is asking a bit too much.) (Not that Ookami or AlecCowan would have a problem with these, but maybe Laepelba and/or other forum members interested on the Argentinean way of speaking may find useful too.) (Just a suggestion.)

At any rate, thanks again!
Old September 05, 2010, 10:50 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Am I missing something? The ability to conjugate a verb by entering it in the upper left-hand corner of the site has been there for as long as I have been a member and then some. Is that what you're talking about?

You can also just enter 'conj:infinitive' in the box if you don't want to select 'Conjugations' from the menu, in case you weren't aware. That was the original design I remember when I first joined.

There are other verb conjugators out there (I've linked to my personal favorite a couple of times). I especially like this one because you can enter a conjugated verb, even a negative or a reflexive one, and it'll do a pretty good job of finding the right chart for you.

How to conjugate for vos is described in detail in other sites like this one, but I've yet to find official conjugation tables that include it. Perhaps this is because there's more than one way to use it.
I use the 'general vos' conjugations listed in the site I linked to first, because that is the way it's spoken in Central America. I'm sure chileno would be offended if we were to omit the way they use it in Chile. And then there is the way they use it in Venezuela, Bolivia, Argentina, etc.
Old September 06, 2010, 12:55 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Oh, Rusty, you probably aren't missing anything... (I am the one "discovering" "la sopa de ajo"...) I guess I have to take a look a all the features I don't know in the forums... Mmmh... unbelievable of me... after 15 years in the company!!!
Old September 06, 2010, 08:52 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Hi Rusty,

I responded like I did on the above post because yesterday was the first time that I found the verb conjugator on this site and then the introduction says "this is a new feature that is being tested....go ahead and try" , not probably the exact wording but this was the essence. So obviously the conjugator is not new, thanks for clarifying that, but obviously I am new to the site and has a lot to learn.

Thanks for the clarifications.

~~~

I wish that someone would define each verb tense on the spanish verb conjugator and give example on how each verb tense is used in a spanish sentence giving the english equivalent also. This would really help a lot. Different spanish sites call verb tenses by different names so I'm getting all mixed up. I'm not sure if they were talking about the same thing since most of them do not give example on how to use each tense in a sentence or its English equivalent.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will make the time and effort.

Last edited by Rusty; September 06, 2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: merged posts
Old September 06, 2010, 10:03 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
All the verb tenses and moods, and ample example sentences, are available. A great deal has already been written. The information is spread over several threads, but isn't that hard to find.
I understand your frustration about not having it all at your fingertips and that different sources give different names for the tenses and moods. My suggestion has always been the same - since you're learning Spanish, learn what they call their tenses and moods; learn what they have to say about them. I suggest you find a website written entirely in Spanish that explains the verb structure. Take the time it takes to understand what is written and what is explained. There should be good sample sentences in the site you choose, too. English doesn't have the same verb structure, so why try to fit our structure on the Spanish structure? That'll only cause confusion.
Closed Thread

Tags
conjugation, thank you, verbs

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: