Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

For those who are struggling to understand spoken spanish...

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old March 28, 2017, 08:16 AM
Opal

Native Language: American English
lordhelmit is on a distinguished road
For those who are struggling to understand spoken spanish...

I would recommend watching this lady's YouTube channel. It is tremendously helpful. She asks people questions in the streets of Lima, Peru and the videos have both spanish and english subtitles.

What I've been doing is watching the videos a few times. First time, read the english subtitles so I know what to expect. Next, read only the spanish subtitles. Then, listen to it with eyes closed or looking at the speakers' mouth movements and try to understand what I can.

https://youtu.be/L_-KQ90IiF0

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 05, 2017, 10:24 AM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
I'll be sure to check that link out, thank you lordhelmit . Something else I've found super helpful is listening to audio that's been sped up then return it to normal speed and listen more. So you're kind of tricking your brain into perceiving that the unfamiliar sounds of the words have been slowed down .
Old April 17, 2017, 10:07 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
radiocycle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelmit View Post
I would recommend watching this lady's YouTube channel. It is tremendously helpful. She asks people questions in the streets of Lima, Peru and the videos have both spanish and english subtitles.

What I've been doing is watching the videos a few times. First time, read the english subtitles so I know what to expect. Next, read only the spanish subtitles. Then, listen to it with eyes closed or looking at the speakers' mouth movements and try to understand what I can.

Wow, that is most excellent! Thanks lordhelmet!

radio
Old July 07, 2017, 12:06 AM
Opal

DianaRay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelmit View Post

Thanks a lot!

I also like Extr@ series - there are lots of useful phrases and actors there speak in a good speed (not fast and not too slow).
First I watch a small episode (3-5 min) several times and then I try to imitate one of the actors. When I manage to do it rather good I switch to the next short episode and imitate the same actor. My target is to imitate the actor during the whole episode (about 20 min). I even switch off the sound and speak instead of my actor. Sometimes I record it and laugh a lot after listening

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: