Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

The United Kingdom explained

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old February 03, 2011, 08:49 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
En realidad gente que hablan español hablan más rápidos que los inglés parlantes. Es que español tiene más sílabas. Para decir una cosa sensilla tiene que mover su mandíbula más. Es un ejercicio aróbico.

En general los inglés parlantes que hablan rápido (o rápidos--cuál es correcto?) lo hacen porque necesitan hablar muchas pendejerías repetidas. Usan diez palabras cuando dos sirven mejor. Los neoyorquinos tiene la reputación de hablar rápido porque supuestamente siempre están aprisado.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 03, 2011, 11:02 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
I agree about the extra syllables. Spanish sounds so fast because to say the same 10 words, they have lots of extra syllables over English. I say we do a little experiment.

Here is the English from parts of this site. I threw in a CNN headline as well. Can someone directly translate them into Spanish?

1. Tomísimo is a community where you can get help with Spanish and connect with other Spanish learners and Spanish speakers.

2. TomísimoTM is an English-Spanish, Spanish-English Dictionary that makes finding words easy by automatically searching in both languages. Tomísimo is an accurate description of this project, which aims to provide an unabridged, bilingual dictionary for the English and Spanish languages. I sincerely hope that this dictionary can be a unique and useful online resource for learners of both Spanish and English.

3. The Arctic cold front complicated cleanup efforts and spurred freeze warnings that spanned much of the nation's midsection.
Old February 03, 2011, 01:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you said that. Some time ago I discussed this on this forum, and nobody agree with me that Spanish was faster because there are more syllables. I can't find the thread.
Old February 03, 2011, 06:12 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
En realidad la gente que hablan habla (gente, in Spanish, is singular) español hablan habla más rápidos rápido (this is an adverb, not an adjective) que los inglés parlantes angloparlantes (we use the Greek or Latin root of the language instead of the name of the language). Es que el español tiene más sílabas. Para decir una cosa sencilla tieneque mover su mandíbula más. Es un ejercicio aróbico.

En general los inglés parlantes angloparlantes que hablan rápido (o rápidos--cuál es correcto? "Rápido", it's an adverb here.) lo hacen porque necesitan hablar muchas pendejerías
Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

(but avoid this word, as it is not polite. "Tonterías" would be much more suitable for all social contexts) repetidas. Usan diez palabras cuando dos sirven mejor serían suficientes. Los neoyorquinos tienen la reputación de hablar rápido porque supuestamente siempre están aprisado tienen prisa.
Some comments and corrections above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Here is the English from parts of this site. I threw in a CNN headline as well. Can someone directly translate them into Spanish?

1. Tomísimo is a community where you can get help with Spanish and connect with other Spanish learners and Spanish speakers. (20 words)

2. TomísimoTM is an English-Spanish, Spanish-English Dictionary that makes finding words easy by automatically searching in both languages. Tomísimo is an accurate description of this project, which aims to provide an unabridged, bilingual dictionary for the English and Spanish languages. I sincerely hope that this dictionary can be a unique and useful online resource for learners of both Spanish and English. (62 words)

3. The Arctic cold front complicated cleanup efforts and spurred freeze warnings that spanned much of the nation's midsection. (18 words)
The exercise is a bit idle, since we do not pronounce aaaaallll the words at the same rhythm or time as an English speaker would pronunce the same sentences, and if there are more syllables we'd obviously take more time to say the same anyway. However, satisfying the whim will be useful to show how we divide in syllables:

1. Tomísimo es una comunidad donde te podemos ayudar con el español y a acercarte a otros estudiantes y hablantes de español. (21 words)
To·mí·si·mo· es· u·na· co·mu·ni·dad· don·de· te· po·de·mos· a·yu·dar· con· el· es·pa·ñol· y· a· a·cer·car·te· a· o·tros· es·tu·dian·tes· y· ha·blan·tes· de· es·pa·ñol· (46 syllables)

2. TomísimoMR es un diccionario inglés-español-inglés que hace fácil encontrar palabras, buscando automáticamente en ambas lenguas. "Tomísimo" es una descripción acertada de este proyecto, que busca proveer un diccionario completo, bilingüe, para los estudiantes de español e inglés. Sinceramente espero que este diccionario sea un recurso en línea único y útil para los estudiantes de inglés y español. (59 words)
To·mí·si·mo·(e·me· e·rre·) es· un· dic·cio·na·rio· in·glés·-es·pa·ñol·-in·glés· que· ha·ce· fá·cil· en·con·trar· pa·la·bras·, bus·can·do· au·to·má·ti·ca·men·te· en· am·bas· len·guas·. "To·mí·si·mo·" es· u·na· des·crip·ción· a·cer·ta·da· de· es·te· pro·yec·to·, que· bus·ca· pro·ve·er· un· dic·cio·na·rio· com·ple·to·, bi·lin·güe·, pa·ra· los· es·tu·dian·tes· de· es·pa·ñol· e· in·glés·. Sin·ce·ra·men·te· es·pe·ro· que· es·te· dic·cio·na·rio· se·a· un· re·cur·so· en· lí·ne·a· ú·ni·co· y· ú·til· pa·ra· los· es·tu·dian·tes· de· in·glés· y· es·pa·ñol·. (153 syllables)

3. El frente frío complicó los trabajos de limpieza y provocó alertas de congelamiento en el centro del país. (18 words)
El· fren·te· frí·o· com·pli·có· los· tra·ba·jos· de· lim·pie·za· y· pro·vo·có· a·ler·tas· de· con·ge·la·mien·to· en· el· cen·tro· del· pa·ís. (36 syllables)

Oh, by the way, I only counted each syllable of each word, but the actual pronounced ones might be less, since many words tend to be united with one another, but that's a different discussion topic.
Old February 03, 2011, 07:10 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Gracias para su atención Angélica.
Old February 04, 2011, 09:08 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Since Angelica did all the hard work for Spanish, I guess I could do some counting for English. Can someone check my counts and syllable separations? I have lots of distractions around me, so I make no promises.

1. To mí si mo is a comm un i ty where you can get help with Span ish and conn ect with oth er Span ish learn ers and Span ish spea kers. (20 words) (33 syllables)

2. To mí si mo is an En glish Span ish, Span ish En glish Dic tion a ry that makes find ing words eas y by au to mat ic all y search ing in both lan guag es. To mí si mo is an acc ur ate de scrip tion of this proj ect, which aims to pro vide an un a bridged, bi lin gual dic tion ar y for the En glish and Span ish lan guag es. I sin cere ly hope that this dic tion ar y can be a u nique and use ful on line re source for learn ers of both Span ish and En glish. (62 words) (114 syllables)

3. The Arc tic cold front comp lic at ed clean up eff orts and spurred freeze warn ings that spanned much of the na tion's mid sec tion. (18 words) (28 syllables)

Quick Summary:

1. Spanish - 21 words, 46 syllables
English - 20 words, 33 syllables
39% more syllables

2. Spanish - 59 words, 153 syllables
English - 62 words, 114 syllables
34% more syllables

3. Spanish - 18 words, 36 syllables
English - 18 words, 28 syllables
29% more syllables

Average: 34%

Last edited by Awaken; February 04, 2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Summary Update
Old February 04, 2011, 12:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Can someone check my counts and syllable separations?
Average: 34%
Looks ok to me (ignoring one or two irrelevant diphthong issues) and the result is interesting. As I mentioned, some time ago I claimed here that Spanish was spoken much more quickly than English because there were more syllables to get through, but nobody seemed to agree. At the time I was unable to quantify the difference. Thanks for that.
Old February 04, 2011, 12:22 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I think that the question is not the quantity of syllables or words in a sentence in either language, but the time one spends saying them (v = s/t , s= syllables).
Old February 04, 2011, 12:49 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I think that the question is not the quantity of syllables or words in a sentence in either language, but the time one spends saying them (v = s/t , s= syllables).
Es lo que yo decía.
Old February 04, 2011, 01:12 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Es lo que yo decía.
Vale, se ve que es hora de ir a dormir.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: