Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Preterite & Imperfect

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Wispy is on a distinguished road
Preterite & Imperfect

I made up these sentences to practice these two verb forms. Let me know if I have problems with the verbs or anything else please.

1. Te invité a hace meses que pasara su Semana Santa en la ciudad. I invited you months ago to spend your spring break in the City.

2. Te recogí en el aeropuerto en el 8:00 anoche. I picked you up at the airport at 8:00 last night.

3. Nos comimos la cena en un resturante Cáliz Cristalina. We at dinner at the Crystal Chalice resturante.

4. Comí un poco te postre mientras eras en el servicio de señoras. I ate a little of your dessert while you were in the ladies room.

5. Fuiste a dormer tan pronto como llegamos mi apartamento. You went to bed as soon as we arrived at my apartment.

6. Cepillaba mis dientes cuando recibí una alarma del mensajes electrónicos en mi teléfono. I was brushing my teeth when I received an email alert from my phone.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:59 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
alx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispy View Post
I made up these sentences to practice these two verb forms. Let me know if I have problems with the verbs or anything else please.

1. Te invité a hace meses que pasara su Semana Santa en la ciudad. I invited you months ago to spend your spring break in the City.
As you started addressing as "TU", you should keep using it because you swapped to "USTED" in the complement of the sentence.
Hace meses te invité a que pasaras tu semana santa en la ciudad.

2. Te recogí en el aeropuerto a las 8:00, anoche. I picked you up at the airport at 8:00 last night.

3. Nos comimos la cena en el resturante Cáliz Cristalino. We at dinner at the Crystal Chalice resturante.
In this case you use the "el" article since you know the name of the restaurant (it is something definite) otherwise you might say: "Cenamos en un restaurante" (it could be any restaurant).
Although "Nos comimos la cena" is grammaticaly correct, it sounds funny and it is not widely used. Well, I don't know if it is used in another country but at least in Mexico, it is not.

4. Comí un poco de tu postre mientras estabas/estuviste en el servicio de señoras. I ate a little of your dessert while you were in the ladies room.
There must be a synonym for "servicio de señoras", I would say "baño de damas" but I have heard they say "tocador".

5. Te fuiste a dormir tan pronto como llegamos mi apartamento. You went to bed as soon as we arrived at my apartment.

6. Cepillaba mis dientes cuando recibí un mensaje de alarma en mi telefono. I was brushing my teeth when I received an email alert from my phone.
Here, I have changed the phrase a little but it has the same meaning, I think.
You may use either correo electronico (or simply correo), email or mensaje electronico, they roughly have the same meaning.

Great job, some comments above.
Let me know any doubt or concern.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:32 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In addition to the great corrections already given, number 5 is lacking a preposition after the verb llegar.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: