Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Spanish Practise

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old December 12, 2012, 02:37 AM
Opal

songlover is on a distinguished road
Spanish Practise

I framed these sentences myself to practice sentece formation in Spanish please check if they are correct.

Dame una hoja de papel quiero escribir una carta a mi jefe. Estoy muy cansado con mi trabaja necisito unas vacaciones.

Mi madre usa un cuchillo a cortar verduras. Cebollo is una verdura muy devertida. El da las lágrimas en ojos de todas las personas que atrevan cortarlo.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:41 AM
Opal

Native Language: Spanish
javcax is on a distinguished road
Hi songlover,
in the first sentence you can avoid "de papel" because it is understood and you need to add a linker or a semicolon. For example: "Dame una hoja porque quiero escribir una carta a mi jefe".
In the second sentence you have to check the spelling "trabajo" "necesito" and the use of linkers. One option: "Estoy muy cansado a causa de mi trabajo y necesito unas vacaciones".
In the following sentence you should have used "para cortar verduras" instead of "a cortar verduras". You have to check your spelling in the next one "la cebolla es una verdura muy divertida".
To express the idea that you want to express in the last sentence you should use the expression "hacer llorar" and remember that the word "cebolla" is feminine. You can say: "(ella) hace llorar a todas las personas que se atreven a cortarla".
Kind regards.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
Opal

Necesito una hoja más para completar mi tarea
El trabajo que hago es muy peligroso, estoy muy estresado a cause de él.
La cebolla es una verdura popular del mundo. Es usado en casi cada país de este mundo.
Qs:
Why se atreven and not atreven?
Gracias
Very well explained indeed
Old December 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by songlover View Post
Necesito una hoja más para completar mi tarea
El trabajo que hago es muy peligroso, estoy muy estresado a cause (spelling) de él.
La cebolla es una verdura popular del mundo. Es usado (agreement) en casi cada país de este mundo.
Qs:
Why se atreven and not atreven?
Gracias
Very well explained indeed
1. In the true passive (ser + past participle), the past participle has an adjectival role, and it must agree in gender and number with the subject of the verb. However, it is more common to use an alternative passive construction: you could also re-write that sentenes as "(La cebolla) se usa en casi cada país de este (or "del") mundo."

2. Why "se atreven"? The simple answer: the verb "atreverse" is a pronominal verb; that is, a verb that ALWAYS is used with a so-called reflexive pronoun.

Note that the English verb "to dare" has 2 distinct meanings. These meanings are expressed by different verbs in Spanish.

1. "to be so bold" ("She dares to cut onions" = "(Ella) se atreve a cortar cebollas". This is the meaning that "atreverse" has.

2. "to challenge" ("I dare you to cut onions" = "Te reto/desafío a cortar cebollas". For this meaning Spanish uses the verbs "retar" or "desafiar".
Old December 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
1. In the true passive (ser + past participle), the past participle has an adjectival role, and it must agree in gender and number with the subject of the verb. However, it is more common to use an alternative passive construction: you could also re-write that sentenes as "(La cebolla) se usa en casi cada país de este (or "del") mundo."

2. Why "se atreven"? The simple answer: the verb "atreverse" is a pronominal verb; that is, a verb that ALWAYS is used with a so-called reflexive pronoun.

Note that the English verb "to dare" has 2 distinct meanings. These meanings are expressed by different verbs in Spanish.

1. "to be so bold" ("She dares to cut onions" = "(Ella) se atreve a cortar cebollas". This is the meaning that "atreverse" has.

2. "to challenge" ("I dare you to cut onions" = "Te reto/desafío a cortar cebollas". For this meaning Spanish uses the verbs "retar" or "desafiar".

Gracias amigo

I have one more question

"(Ella) se atreve a cortar cebollas - and not just "(Ella) se atreve cortar cebollas.

Secondly
Se dice que no se debe de nadar después de comer. and not

Se dice que no se debe nadar después de comer.

It confuses me
Old December 16, 2012, 09:18 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by songlover View Post
Gracias amigo

I have one more question

"(Ella) se atreve a cortar cebollas - and not just "(Ella) se atreve cortar cebollas.

Secondly
Se dice que no se debe de nadar después de comer. and not

Se dice que no se debe nadar después de comer.

It confuses me
Quoting what I wrote in this thread:

"Many verbs either allow or require some type of complement in order to complete the idea of the verb. Often one of the allowed or required types of complements is an infinitive. The types of complements that can follow a particular verb and how each type of complement connects to the verb (either directly or after a particular preposition such as 'a', 'de', 'en', 'por', 'para', 'con', 'contra' and so on) are specific to each verb, which means that you have to learn them one by one."

You might be able to dig up more information in other forum threads.

As for the two verbs you ask about:

The verb "atreverse" requires using the preposition 'a' immediately before the infinitive that functions as its complement.

The verb "deber" has multiple meanings and uses.
1. "deber + [infinitive]" (no preposition) normally expresses obligation: "Debo trabajar para vivir" = "I must work to live".
2. "deber (de) + [infinitive]" normally expresses supposition or probability.
"Debe de estar dormido" = "He must be/he's probably asleep".
3. "deberse a (que)" = to be caused by or due to
Old December 17, 2012, 06:10 AM
Opal

Gracias por tu ayuda lo explicaste muy bien

Last edited by songlover; December 17, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: