Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Object Pronouns

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old April 13, 2009, 02:51 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
TJtacos is on a distinguished road
Object Pronouns

This is a tough subject for me. Although I think I am getting the hang of it.

help me with this sentence please.

We need to turn you (the patient) to the side so that you don’t get bedsores.

Necesitamos voltearlo/la a un lado para que no le salgan llagas

Necesitamos voltearlo/la - the patient is the direct object (the whom or what is bieng turned)

para que no le salgan llagas - here the patient is the indirect object and the llagas are the direct object.

how about -
We are going to take you home.
Vamos a llevarlo/la a su casa. the patient is the DO (the whom or what is being taken) is this correct?
if this is correct, why do I hear so many people say
vamos a llevarle a su casa?

Last edited by Rusty; April 13, 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Created new thread for new question

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:19 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Object pronouns can be stumbling block.

The object pronouns fall into two categories; they are either taking the place of a direct object or an indirect object.

A direct object is the direct recipient of the verb's action. It answers the question WHAT or WHO receives the action of the verb. The direct object in each sentence below is highlighted in violet.

I see a book. WHAT do I see? A book.
I see Mary. WHO do I see? Mary.

If pronouns replace the objects in these sentences, the same questions can still be asked.

I see it. WHAT do I see? It.
I see her. WHO do I see? Her.

Direct object pronouns, then, totally replace the direct object and must match its number and gender. A sure-fire way to tell if you have a direct object or not is to switch the sentence into a passive voice. If it works, you've got a direct object. If it sounds absurd, you have an indirect object.
For example:
I wrote a letter. = A letter was written by me.
I wrote Mary. = Mary was written by me. Mary is NOT a direct object.
I wrote Mary a letter. = A letter was written by me for Mary. Mary is an indirect recipient of the action.

In Spanish, the direct object pronouns are:
me
te
lo* / la
nos
os
los* / las
* In Spain, the masculine 3rd-person lo and los are often said le and les when the object refers to a male person.

Now, let's look at the sentences in Spanish:

Veo un libro. (I see a book.) ¿QUÉ veo? Un libro.
Lo veo. (I see it.)
Veo a María. (I see Mary.) ¿QUIÉN veo? A María.
La veo. (I see her.)

An indirect object indirectly receives the verb's action. It answers the question TO WHAT or TO WHOM. The indirect object in the sentence below is highlighted in blue. There is also a direct object, highlighted in violet.

I took Mary a book. WHAT did I take? A book. TO WHOM did I take it? Mary.

If pronouns replace the objects in these sentences, the same questions can still be asked.

I took it to her. WHAT did I take? It. To WHOM did I take it? Her.

Indirect object pronouns totally replace the indirect object and must match its number and gender. As mentioned above, an indirect object fails the passive voice test.

In Spanish, the indirect object pronouns are:
me
te
le / se*
nos
os
les / se*
* If both an indirect and a direct object pronoun are present, the indirect object pronoun, which always precedes the direct object pronoun, is changed to se.

Llevé un libro a María. (I took Mary a book.) ¿QUÉ llevé? Un libro. ¿A QUIÉN lo llevé? A María.
Se lo llevé a ella. (I took it to her.)

The indirect object pronoun precedes the direct object pronoun (when both are present). Se is used because both pronouns are present (it's really because it sounds bad to say le lo). The phrase a ella is there to clarify the ambiguous 3rd-person indirect object pronoun.

Given this information, can you answer your own question? If not, ask more questions.

Last edited by Rusty; April 13, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old April 14, 2009, 06:22 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

The object pronouns fall into two categories; they are either taking the place of a direct object or an indirect object.

A direct object is the direct recipient of the verb's action. It answers the question WHAT or WHO receives the action of the verb. The direct object in each sentence below is highlighted in violet.

Direct object pronouns, then, totally replace the direct object and must match its number and gender. A sure-fire way to tell if you have a direct object or not is to switch the sentence into a passive voice. If it works, you've got a direct object. If it sounds absurd, you have an indirect object.
For example:
I wrote Mary a letter. = A letter was written by me for Mary. Mary is an indirect recipient of the action.

me
te
lo* / la
nos
os
los* / las
* In Spain, the masculine 3rd-person lo and los are often said le and les when the object refers to a male person.

Lo veo. (I see it.)
La veo. (I see her.)

An indirect object indirectly receives the verb's action. It answers the question TO WHAT or TO WHOM. The indirect object in the sentence below is highlighted in blue. There is also a direct object, highlighted in violet.

Indirect object pronouns totally replace the indirect object and must match its number and gender. As mentioned above, an indirect object fails the passive voice test.

me
te
le / se*
nos
os
les / se*
* If both an indirect and a direct object pronoun are present, the indirect object pronoun, which always precedes the direct object pronoun, is changed to se.

Llevé un libro a María. (I took Mary a book.) ¿QUÉ llevé? Un libro. ¿A QUIÉN lo llevé? A María.

The indirect object pronoun precedes the direct object pronoun (when both are present). Se is used because both pronouns are present (it's really because it sounds bad to say le lo). The phrase a ella is there to clarify the ambiguous 3rd-person indirect object pronoun.

Given this information, can you answer your own question? If not, ask more questions.
This is a perfect explanation. Learn it, and you will be on the road to mastering Spanish.
Old April 14, 2009, 02:51 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

For example:

me
te
lo* / la
nos
os
los* / las

Lo veo. (I see it.)
La veo. (I see her.)

me
te
le / se*
nos
os
les / se*

Coincidence, we were learning about direct objects and indirect in both English class and Spanish class. This is great help for me to review!!
Old April 15, 2009, 02:25 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Norwegian
Vikingo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJtacos View Post
We are going to take you home.
Vamos a llevarlo/la a su casa. the patient is the DO (the whom or what is being taken) is this correct?
if this is correct, why do I hear so many people say
vamos a llevarle a su casa?
Hi TJtacos!

The patient is the DO, that's right.

Regarding "vamos a llevarle a su casa", it's a case of leísmo, in this case le is used as the direct object pronoun when we're addressing usted.

This phenomenon is used extensively in many parts of the Spanish-speaking world. In part it's a kind of courtesy, but it can also make it easier to distinguish between "you" and "him/her". It's also used when talking to women, but apparently to a lesser degree.

The leísmo has many shapes and forms, by the way. This particular variant is one of those that also have been deemed acceptable by the RAE, if you care about such things.

Take care
Old April 15, 2009, 05:43 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
In Madrid we are famous for our misuse of object pronouns. When I lived in Castilla La Mancha people corrected me all the time. I think I don't make mistakes any more...
Here you will hear things such us: Dila que venga instead of dile que venga
Old April 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
The substitution of le for la looks like an attempt to correct a natural fault in the language, which if you're not careful, can be ambiguous. I think Spanish has less of these faults than other languages. For being a mega-language, Spanish is rather modern. I believe it was first put into written words only about 500 years ago. Prior to that, Castillian was not the official language of Spain (I think Latin and Arabic were).

A linguist Antonio de Nebrija put together a fairly streamlined, very logical and generally easy-to-spell official language that he presented to the Spanish monarchy. Unfortunately he did not include gender- specific indirect-object pronouns. Nobody's perfect. Castillian is kind of like a 16th century Esperanto that managed to stick. He probably would approved of leism if he were alive today.

Last edited by poli; April 15, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:31 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
En algunos casos, el leísmo masculino singular está aceptado por la RAE. You can see it in the following link:

http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsu...a=le%C3%ADsmmo

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: