Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

¡Ayudarme a practicar español!

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 19, 2014, 08:34 AM
Opal

LaPolicia is on a distinguished road
¡Ayudarme a practicar español!

¡Hola! Estoy buscando a empeza conversaciónes algunos fáciles. Me ayuda cuando vivir con la gramática, por favor (Please help me as I go with the grammar?)

Gracias

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 19, 2014, 01:58 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPolicia View Post
¡Hola! Busco empezar algunas conversaciones algunos fáciles. Me ayuda cuando vivir con la gramática, por favor (Please help me as I go with the grammar?)
Please help me with the grammar as I (hacer conversaciones).
Ayúdenme con la gramática siempre que las hago.
Old April 19, 2014, 02:06 PM
Opal

Hoy, Fui delante de la tienda españa cuando empezaba lloviendo. Lloviendo está ahora. Estoy adentro en mi computadora potatil y comiendo mi comida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Please help me with the grammar as I (hacer conversaciones).
Ayúdenme con la gramática siempre que las hago.
¡Gracias! Estoy la trabajando (I'm working on it?)

"Did you buy them cars?"
¿Les compraste carros?

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; April 19, 2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old April 19, 2014, 03:54 PM
Señor Speedy

You're relying too much on the progressive.
Quote:
Hoy, Fui (wrong verb, wrong tense) delante de la tienda españa cuando empezaba () lloviendo (wrong tense, missing preposition, use the Spanish infinitive, instead of the present participle, when translating an English gerund). Lloviendo está (reverse these) ahora. Estoy adentro en (wrong preposition (try 'with')) mi computadora potatil (two spelling errors) y comiendo la/mi comida.
Quote:
¡Gracias! Estoy la trabajando (I'm working on it?) (This is said, "Estoy en ello". There is no direct object for the intransitive verb you used. Even if there were, you would never place it in the middle of the progressive construct. The intransitive verb takes a prepositional phrase. The proper prepositional phrase appears in the sentence I provided. You can say, "Estoy trabajando en ello" or, even better because it avoids the usage of the progressive, "Trabajo en ello".)

"Did you buy them cars?"
¿Les compraste carros?
Good job on that last question!

Try fixing the problems in the first quote, using the hints I provided.

Last edited by Rusty; April 19, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old April 19, 2014, 04:22 PM
Opal

So it would be then...

"Hoy, estaba delante de la tienda españa cuando empezaba a lluvia."

For this one, couldn't "en" also mean "at?" That's how I was intending to use it.

"Estoy adentro en (wrong preposition (try 'with')) mi computadora potatil (two spelling errors) y comiendo la/mi comida."

As for the "Estoy trabajando en ello", I never knew there was a word for "it" until now. I always though the Direct Objects took the place of it. So could I say then ¿Lo/la tienes? or ¿Tienes ello? for "Do you have it?"

I'll be sure to use "ello" a lot more, thanks. Thats if it is a common word of course.

Last edited by LaPolicia; April 19, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old April 19, 2014, 04:40 PM
Señor Speedy

More help.
Quote:
So it would be then...

"Hoy, estaba delante de la tienda españa cuando empezaba a lluvia." ('estaba', correctly used, by way, sets the stage. You were somewhere when something else happened. Note that it wasn't happening, it happened. 'empezaba' means 'it was starting'. Use the preterit instead. The last word is supposed to be the Spanish infinitive.)

For this one, couldn't "en" also mean "at?" That's how I was intending to use it. (You should use 'con'.)

"Estoy adentro en (wrong preposition (try 'with')) mi computadora potatil (two spelling errors) y comiendo la/mi comida."

As for the "Estoy trabajando en ello", I never knew there was a word for "it" until now. I always though the Direct Objects took the place of it. So could I say then ¿Lo/la tienes? or ¿Tienes ello? for "Do you have it?"

I'll be sure to use "ello" a lot more, thanks. Thats if it is a common word of course.
The neuter pronoun 'ello' is used in only certain cases. It's taking the place of an abstract idea in this case.
Continue to use 'lo/la' for direct objects that would translate to 'it' in English.
Old April 19, 2014, 05:10 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Julvenzor is on a distinguished road
"Ello" is used only as a subject in certain cases and for other gramatical structures (a few ones). By the way, the correct is "estoy dentro", using "adentro", "afuera", abajo de", "arriba de" are typical mistakes made by native Latin American speakers. You add the "a" when moving from a place to another.

Voy adentro, voy afuera...

Encima de
Debajo de

Arriba de
Abajo de

A pleasure.
Old April 19, 2014, 10:02 PM
Opal

Quote:
More help.The neuter pronoun 'ello' is used in only certain cases. It's taking the place of an abstract idea in this case.
Continue to use 'lo/la' for direct objects that would translate to 'it' in English.
Ok, so it must be this then?.... (Entonces, ¿está eso?)

Hoy, estaba delante de la tienda españa cuando empezó a llover. (not sure if the "a" is supposed to be there or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julvenzor View Post
"Ello" is used only as a subject in certain cases and for other gramatical structures (a few ones). By the way, the correct is "estoy dentro", using "adentro", "afuera", abajo de", "arriba de" are typical mistakes made by native Latin American speakers. You add the "a" when moving from a place to another.

Voy adentro, voy afuera...

Encima de
Debajo de

Arriba de
Abajo de

A pleasure.
Thats good to know, thanks. So it basically translates to "I am going inside, or I'm going outside" when the "a" is used in front.

por ejemplo,

"Estuve dentro de mi habitación en el barco cuando el salió."

¿es correcto o no?

Last edited by LaPolicia; April 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old April 20, 2014, 05:50 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Ok, so it must be this then?.... (Entonces, ¿está eso?) (What are you trying to say here?)

Hoy, estaba delante de la tienda españa cuando empezó a llover. (not sure if the "a" is supposed to be there or not). ('Empezar' is always followed by 'a' when an infinitive follows.)

That's good to know, thanks. So it basically translates to "I am going inside," or "I'm going outside" when the "a" is used in front.

Por ejemplo,

"Estuve dentro de mi habitación en el barco cuando el salió."

¿Es correcto o no?
Your last sentence is correct.
Old April 20, 2014, 07:51 AM
Opal

Quote:
Ok, so it must be this then?.... (Entonces, ¿está eso?) (What are you trying to say here?)
I was tring to say "Then, is it this?"

¿"Empezar" una palabra tiene que usar la persona "a" antes del infinitivo o no lo es la norma? Yo sé hay varias palabras lo quiere)

(Is empezar a word that has to use the personal "a" before the initive or is it not the norm? I know there are several words like it).

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: