Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary


ahí, allí, allá - what's the difference?

 

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old June 16, 2009, 06:52 PM
AngelicaDeAlquezar's Avatar
AngelicaDeAlquezar AngelicaDeAlquezar is offline
Obsidiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 8,285
Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Rusty: so you mean one word combination is preferred over the other because of euphony reasons, not because of a grammar rule, right?
__________________
Ain't it wonderful to be alive when the Rock'n'Roll plays...
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #22  
Old June 16, 2009, 08:29 PM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,608
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Rusty: so you mean one word combination is preferred over the other because of euphony reasons, not because of a grammar rule, right?
I guess you could say that (I just did). It doesn't make any difference, grammatically, which way it's said, but more people will choose to say it the way I wrote it. Do a search on the two phrases on Google. You'll see what I mean.
  #23  
Old June 16, 2009, 08:31 PM
AngelicaDeAlquezar's Avatar
AngelicaDeAlquezar AngelicaDeAlquezar is offline
Obsidiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 8,285
Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Pretty clear. Thank you!
__________________
Ain't it wonderful to be alive when the Rock'n'Roll plays...
  #24  
Old June 16, 2009, 08:45 PM
CrOtALiTo's Avatar
CrOtALiTo CrOtALiTo is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 11,679
Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Just I want to give my own opinion. Rusty Do you remember when I was using the contraction in the verbs.

For example I said.

My Laptop's very popular between the pupils from my school.

It's wrong because you taught me that it was bad written, therefore, I turned to change the contraction.

But Just I saw some movies that the contraction is used as I written it before.

I don't know why is happened.

In some songs also is used. I mean.

'cause.
Can'

Between other ones.

Please you can explain me it.
__________________
We are building the most important dare for my life and my family feature now we are installing new services in telecoms.
  #25  
Old June 16, 2009, 09:00 PM
bobjenkins's Avatar
bobjenkins bobjenkins is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: España próximamente??
Posts: 2,923
Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Just I want to give my own opinion. Rusty Do you remember when I was using the contraction in the verbs.

For example I said.

My Laptop's very popular between the pupils from my school.

It's wrong because you taught me that it was bad written, therefore, I turned to change the contraction.

But Just I saw some movies that the contraction is used as I written it before.

I don't know why is happened.

In some songs also is used. I mean.

'cause.
Can'

Between other ones.

Please you can explain me it.
Hola mi agimo ¿que tal?

'cause es jerga (slang)
__________________
"There´s always money in the banana stand michael!"
--george bluthe sir
  #26  
Old June 16, 2009, 09:37 PM
CrOtALiTo's Avatar
CrOtALiTo CrOtALiTo is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 11,679
Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Hola mi agimo ¿que tal?

'cause es jerga (slang)
What?
__________________
We are building the most important dare for my life and my family feature now we are installing new services in telecoms.
  #27  
Old June 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
bobjenkins's Avatar
bobjenkins bobjenkins is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: España próximamente??
Posts: 2,923
Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
What?
In english the word ('cause) is slang
__________________
"There´s always money in the banana stand michael!"
--george bluthe sir
  #28  
Old June 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,608
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
My laptop's very popular among the pupils from my school.

It's wrong because you taught me that it was poorly written, therefore, I changed the contraction back into discreet words.

But I just saw some movies where the contraction is used as I wrote it before.

I don't know what is happening.

It's also used in some songs. I mean:

'cause
Can't

among others.

Can you please explain it to me?
I'm not sure which contractions you're talking about. We frequently use contractions. There's nothing inherently wrong with using them, but some contractions are not acceptable in everyday speech and some people choose not to use certain contractions. The use of contractions very much depends on who your audience is.

I remember that I provided you with a list of words that can be made into contractions. I also remember that you began inventing contractions, using words which we don't generally see in contractions. Stick to the list I gave you, and have fun!

There's nothing wrong, by the way, with the contractions you wrote above (except for the one I added a 't' to).
The word 'cause isn't a contraction (two words are combined to make a contraction). It's a colloquial way of writing how some people say the word because. Using this can be a sign to others that you're uneducated, so I might have cautioned you about using colloquial writing - like 'cause, wanna, hafta, etc.

If you've other questions, or if I didn't understand what you were asking, let me know.
  #29  
Old June 17, 2009, 08:43 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I'm not sure which contractions you're talking about. We frequently use contractions. There's nothing inherently wrong with using them, but some contractions are not acceptable in everyday speech and some people choose not to use certain contractions. The use of contractions very much depends on who your audience is.

I remember that I provided you with a list of words that can be made into contractions. I also remember that you began inventing contractions, using words which we don't generally see in contractions. Stick to the list I gave you, and have fun!

There's nothing wrong, by the way, with the contractions you wrote above (except for the one I added a 't' to).
The word 'cause isn't a contraction (two words are combined to make a contraction). It's a colloquial way of writing how some people say the word because. Using this can be a sign to others that you're uneducated, so I might have cautioned you about using colloquial writing - like 'cause, wanna, hafta, etc.

If you've other questions, or if I didn't understand what you were asking, let me know.
I've seen these words ('cause, wanna, etc.) in songs.

Thanks for helping me with my doubts. In this case was a bit clearer because the verb was to be. But I'm not sure if it is the same with another verb, for instance:

We all think the same.
We think all the same.

Or:

We all eat
We eat all (as if we were eating everything, or it sounds like this to me)

Is it correct? The first ones sound better to me
  #30  
Old June 17, 2009, 09:05 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,423
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I've seen these words ('cause, wanna, etc.) in songs.

Thanks for helping me with my doubts. In this case was a bit clearer because the verb was to be. But I'm not sure if it is the same with another verb, for instance:

We all think the same.
We think all the same.The meaning here changes, because all the same is another way of saying nevertheless( no obstante)
Or:

We all eat(nostros todos comemos)

We eat all (as if we were eating everything, or it sounds like this to me)
unless all is a direct object like a new product called all Comemos allAqui en EEUU All es un detergente y por eso esta frase me hace reir.

Is it correct? The first ones sound better to me
-----------------------
me avisas si hay algo que escribí que no entiendes.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
Closed Thread

Bookmark this thread at:

Tags
acá, ahí, allá, allí, aquí, deictic, deixis, deíctico, determiner, here, there

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X