Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

In case it rains/if it rains

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old May 02, 2013, 04:09 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Hebreo
Caramelita is on a distinguished road
In case it rains/if it rains

Hello,

I will take the umbrella in case it rains- Llevaré el paraguas en caso de que llueva. - Is it correct to use here the subjunctive mood?

I will take the umbrella if it will rain- Llevaré el paraguas si llueve. - Is it correct to use the indicative mood here? because we are talking about a possible thing.

Si lloviera, tomaría el paraguas- What is the difference between this sentence and the previous one?

Last edited by Caramelita; May 02, 2013 at 04:18 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 02, 2013, 04:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelita View Post
Hello,

I will take the umbrella in case it rains- Llevaré el paraguas en caso de que llueva. - Is it correct to use here the subjunctive mood?

I will take the umbrella if it will rain- Llevaré el paraguas si llueve. - Is it correct to use the indicative mood here? because we are talking about a possible thing.

Si lloviera, tomaría el paraguas- What is the difference between this sentence and the previous one?
I'll just comment about the second one. This is a pure statement of fact, "If X, then Y" so you don't need a subjunctive.

But the English is not correct. You never use the fututre with 'if'. I will take the umbrella if it rains. This refers to the future, but you use the present (probably English subjunctive was involved at some time)
Old May 02, 2013, 04:33 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I'll just comment about the second one. This is a pure statement of fact, "If X, then Y" so you don't need a subjunctive.

But the English is not correct. You never use the fututre with 'if'. I will take the umbrella if it rains. This refers to the future, but you use the present (probably English subjunctive was involved at some time)

What about if I want to say in spanish: I hope it will not rain -
Ojalá no llueva ?

And what if I wanted it to rain today- Ojalá que llueva hoy ?

Is it possible to say "Ojalá lloviera mañana" ? or is it Ojalá llueva mañana?

Isnt lloviera in the past? so how can I say that : I hope it will rain tomorrow using past tense?

But then - Quería que lloviera mañana.. and Quiero que llueva mañana. Is this correct?

Also, I thought that subjective mood never comes after "si" clause... So : Si lloviera, tomaría el paraguas. - Is it wrong? :/

Last edited by Caramelita; May 02, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old May 02, 2013, 11:15 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
On the Spanish side of things I don't see anything wrong with your expressions. (Which is commendable, I must say...) (How long have you been studying Spanish? Not many students get to be that good with the Spanish subjunctive...)

Quería que lloviera mañana... is the only one that could be "debatable", but then again, it is correct, as in "I wanted tomorrow to rain" (but the weather forecast says it is not going to...)
Old May 02, 2013, 11:22 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
On the Spanish side of things I don't see anything wrong with your expressions. (Which is commendable, I must say...) (How long have you been studying Spanish? Not many students get to be that good with the Spanish subjunctive...)

Quería que lloviera mañana... is the only one that could be "debatable", but then again, it is correct, as in "I wanted tomorrow to rain" (but the weather forecast says it is not going to...)

I have actually started to study Spanish when I was 15 years old (the basic stuff).. Im 24 now But I have never taken any course, I did it on my own (with internet help). But it has been only 2 years now that I started learning the grammar in a more serious way (because of the exams, for starters).

I have done like 100 exercises online today, so I think I got the hang of the subjuctive mood. Finally!

Thats also one thing I was wondering, because the subjunctive should also be in the past tense, if the main verb is in past too. So: quería que lloviera, and quiero que llueva.

I have a couple of new texts posted, and one of them (whenever you have time to check them out) the third one, has the subjunctive mode. Same thing there: Te pedí que no revelaras mi secreto a nadie. But then if I am asking you now, would be: Te pido que no reveles mi secreto a nadie. Is that correct?
Old May 02, 2013, 11:26 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Yup, you got it!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: