Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

Bicol dialect's adopted expressions from Spanish

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old April 11, 2014, 08:15 PM
Ruby

luis magistrado is on a distinguished road
Bicol dialect's adopted expressions from Spanish

hola. im luis and im from the Bicol region,phillipines where many words and expressions are adopted from castillan spanish. i would like to know from native speakers of spanish the meaning of the following words and expressions which we Bicolanos have borrowed from spanish but i think that they have a somewhat different meaning to a native speakers of spanish :

1. maski ( mas que)- in our dialect we use it to mean " even if".

2. alboroto- we use this to mean " being or acting noisily from annnoyance or being mad".

3. kasi-kasi- this means majority ( this is adopted from casi which as far as i know means "almost".

4.ni hoy ni hay- in our dialect it use to describe an attitude of someone that " doesnt give a damn about a thing that one ought to do".

Last edited by Rusty; April 11, 2014 at 09:01 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 12, 2014, 08:21 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis magistrado View Post
hola. im luis and im from the Bicol region,phillipines where many words and expressions are adopted from castillan spanish. i would like to know from native speakers of spanish the meaning of the following words and expressions which we Bicolanos have borrowed from spanish but i think that they have a somewhat different meaning to a native speakers of spanish :

1. maski ( mas que)- in our dialect we use it to mean " even if".

2. alboroto- we use this to mean " being or acting noisily from annnoyance or being mad".

3. kasi-kasi- this means majority ( this is adopted from casi which as far as i know means "almost".

4.ni hoy ni hay- in our dialect it use to describe an attitude of someone that " doesnt give a damn about a thing that one ought to do".

1. Nadie te ama más que yo.=Nobody love you more than I do.
2. alboroto=disturbance, riot...
3. casi=almost

Last edited by Villa; April 12, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old September 21, 2014, 07:28 PM
Opal

Native Language: Bikol, Tagalog
luigi is on a distinguished road
I think it is incorrect to use the word "dialect" for Philippine languages. Tagalog, Cebuano, Hiligaynon, Ilocano, Bicol, Tausug, Pampango, etc aren't dialects but "languages. If we will use the word "dialect" for a certain tongue, it must be preceded or followed by the language where that dialect falls into.

For example:

Tagalog is one of the languages spoken in the Philippines. The people of Batangas are known for a dialect of Tagalog called "Batangenyo" or Batangas Tagalog. The other dialects of Tagalog are Novo Ecijano, Tagalog Tayabas, Tagalog Paete etc...

Rinconada is a language spoken in the Rinconada area of Camarines Sur in the Bicol Region, Philippines. It is classified under the Southern/Inland Bicol Language Family which also include the Albay Bicol Languages. Rinconada has two known dialects. The other dialect preserves the schwa which lacks in the other.
Old June 20, 2016, 12:13 AM
Opal

JPeeph is on a distinguished road
hi, there's more! I am forced now to study spanish. If my grandparents are still alive they would be very happy too..

aburrido,
mientras tanto
hallar
mostrar
buscar
ejemplo

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: