Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

I need help translating a text from english to spanish :)

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old March 18, 2009, 04:14 PM
Ruby

serendipity is on a distinguished road
I need help translating a text from english to spanish :)

Please help me correct it, I have to turn it in by friday I thought this one would be really simple, but I'm stuck in a lot of places. :/ So help me out please!!!

English: Pedro is seven years old, and his mother has a lot of problems with him.
Spanish: Pedro tiene siete años, y su madre tiene muchas problemas con él.

English: In the morning he's tired and doesn't want to get up. He doesn't like to shower,
Spanish: Por la mañana él es cansado y no quiere levante. No le gusta regar....

English: ..and he doesn't want to go to the bathroom. He's not hungry in the morning, and he doesn't want to eat breakfast.
Spanish: ...y él no quiere ir al baño. El no tiene hambre por la mañana y él no quiere desayune.

English: Pedro doesn't like milk. He only drinks orange juice. When Pedro is going to school,
Spanish: Pedro no le gusta leche. El sólo bebe jugo de naranja. Cuándo Pedro va a la escuela....

English: He's often in a hurry. Pedro takes the bus to school at 8 o'clock in the morning.
Spanish: El es a menudo apurado. Pedro toma el autobús a la escuela a las ocho de la mañana.

English: The first class starts at 8.30 and the last one ends are 13.30.
Spanish: La primera clase empieza a las 8.30 y el último termina a las 13.30.

English: Pedro is a good student, he's the best one in class.
Spanish: Pedro es un estudiante bueno, él es el mejor en la clase.
Old March 18, 2009, 04:29 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
Since this is homework, I'll mark what needs to be looked at, with hints.

English: Pedro is seven years old, and his mother has a lot of problems with him.
Spanish: Pedro tiene siete años, y su madre tiene muchas problemas con él. (match gender)

English: In the morning he's tired and doesn't want to get up. He doesn't like to shower,
Spanish: Por la mañana él es cansado y no quiere levante. No le gusta regar.... (use different verbs - the middle one is close, but needs to be reflexive - remember to not conjugate a verb that follows querer)

English: ..and he doesn't want to go to the bathroom. He's not hungry in the morning, and he doesn't want to eat breakfast.
Spanish: ...y él no quiere ir al baño. El no tiene hambre por la mañana y (él) no quiere desayune. (remember to use accents - don't overuse the subject pronoun - don't conjugate a verb that follows querer)

English: Pedro doesn't like milk. He only drinks orange juice. When Pedro is going to school,
Spanish: (missing something here) Pedro no le gusta (missing something here) leche. El sólo bebe jugo de naranja. Cuándo Pedro va a la escuela....

English: He's often in a hurry. Pedro takes the bus to school at 8 o'clock in the morning.
Spanish: El es a menudo apurado. Pedro toma el autobús a la escuela a las ocho de la mañana. (I would totally rewrite the first sentence, but perhaps your textbook has taught you this structure.)

Spanish: La primera clase empieza a las 8.30 y el último termina a las 13.30.

Spanish: Pedro es un estudiante bueno, él es el mejor en la clase.
Suggestions above.
Old March 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
I agree with all of Rusty's suggestions. And to expound on "don't conjugate a verb that follows querer", you could actually say "don't conjugate a verb that follows another conjugated verb" (or in other words-- only one conjugated verb per clause)
Old March 19, 2009, 03:59 AM
Ruby

serendipity is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot This is what I came up with, but I know there's still some mistakes in there...

Spanish: Pedro tiene siete años, y su madre tiene muchos problemas con él.

Spanish: Por la mañana él tiene cansado y no quiere levanten (?). No le gusta regar(?)

Spanish: ...y él no quiere ir al baño. Él no tiene hambre por la mañana y no quiere desayunarse.

Spanish: (missing something here?) Pedro no le gusta la leche. Él sólo bebe jugo de naranja. Cuando Pedro va a la escuela....

Spanish: El es a menudo apurado. Pedro toma el autobús a la escuela a las ocho de la mañana. (I have no idea how to change the first sentence :S)

Spanish: La primera clase empieza a las 8.30 y la última termina a las 13.30.

Spanish: Pedro es un estudiante bueno, él es el mejor de la clase.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:28 AM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post

Spanish: Por la mañana él tiene cansado y no quiere levanten. No le gusta regar.
- To say someone is tired, the phrase is estar cansado.
- Remember the rule about two verbs back-to-back? Only the first is conjugated. Levantar needs to be reflexive. Have a look at the next sentence in your homework. It ends in a very similar construct, and you got it right.
- The verb regar means to shower, but is used when watering a plant and the like (to spray). Try another verb that means to take a shower. Hint: it's reflexive, too.

Spanish: (missing something here) Pedro no le gusta la leche. Él sólo bebe jugo de naranja. Cuando Pedro va a la escuela....
The way you used the verb gustar is correct. The indirect object pronoun le, which precedes the verb, is right, but ambiguous (it can mean any third person). So, you need to build a prepositional phrase that clarifies which third person it is. The missing word is the preposition. Pedro is the object of the preposition.

Spanish: El es a menudo apurado. Pedro toma el autobús a la escuela a las ocho de la mañana.
- I believe you know how to fix the first word (subject pronoun, instead of an article).
- To say someone is in a hurry, you can use the phrase estar apurado or tener prisa. The adverb a menudo should precede or follow the conjugated phrase (it can also be said prior to the subject ).
I've given more hints above to help you figure out the remaining problems.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:36 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Today is father's day here, so I find myself generous

Pedro tiene siete años, y su madre tiene muchos problemas con él

Spanish: Por la mañana él está cansado y no quiere levantarse. No le gusta ducharse

...y no quiere ir al baño. No tiene hambre por las mañanas y no quiere desayunar.
Your translation is OK, I making it more general (por las mañanas.... no quiere desayunar)

Spanish: A Pedro no le gusta la leche. Sólo bebe jugo/zumo de naranja. Cuando Pedro va a la escuela....

siempre va con prisa. Pedro toma el autobús a la escuela a las ocho de la mañana.

La primera clase empieza a las 8.30 y la última termina a las 13.30. [/I][/LEFT]

Pedro es un buen estudiante, el mejor de la clase.
(un estudiante bueno means a good-person student)

PD: Sorry Rusty, I didn't read your last post and I'm too lazy to erase all

Last edited by sosia; March 19, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old March 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, SOSIA!

Old March 19, 2009, 04:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Where is the father's day.

Here in Mexico the father's day is until May 10st.

Happy father's day.

Sosia. Are you father?
Old March 19, 2009, 04:44 PM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Where is the father's day.

Here in Mexico the father's day is until May 10st.

Happy father's day.

Sosia. Are you father?
I think Mother's Day in Mexico is May 10th, not Father's Day.

Yes, Sosia is a father to a beautiful little girl that he loves dearly.
Old March 20, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Elaina.
Yesterdat was here Saint Joseph, "Father" of Jesus, so in Spain was Father's day.
And my daughter is so "dearest"!!!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: