Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Motivation

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old December 15, 2011, 01:09 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
FrannyCakes is on a distinguished road
Motivation

Hello!

After a long sabbatical, I've decided to resume my Spanish studies. The problem, however, is motivation. I'm not currently enrolled in school, I don't need it for work, and I don't have any Spanish speaking friends with whom I could exchange small talk, so in short, I have no reason to learn it -- but I want to!!! It's a beautiful language and, despite the circumstances, one that I'm sure would be of some benefit, however small.

I have a great deal of respect for people who speak more than one language, and I feel somewhat uneasy that I don't. How do you continue when there's no "external" motivation? It's very difficult to press onward when the extent of its usage is eavesdropping on conversations in public. Nevertheless it's something that not only I want to do, but something I feel I should do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 15, 2011, 01:19 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like it's time to befriend a few people instead of eavesdropping on them.
If you have friends that speak Spanish, I would think that's motivation enough to learn their language (and culture).
Old December 15, 2011, 05:43 PM
Emerald

Glen is on a distinguished road
For me, the "external" motivation is the sheer number of Spanish speakers in the world: it's the fourth most-widely spoken language, surpassed only by Chinese, English and Hindustani, and is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Rusty is right in saying that when it comes to learning, there's no substitute for making friends who are willing to help. The next best thing other than that, is spending time in these Forums. Good Luck! and Congratulations for resuming your studies

Last edited by Glen; December 15, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old December 15, 2011, 06:35 PM
Señor Speedy

The ranking of most-widely-spoken languages varies, depending on which source you choose to believe.
Mandarin Chinese is number 1, hands down.
Then there is disagreement. English and Spanish, not necessarily in that order, are always listed in the top four spots.
Hindi, Bengali or Arabic vie for the final position in the top four.

At any rate, you can go a lot of places if you speak English and Spanish, two of the most-widely-spoken languages in the world.
Old December 16, 2011, 08:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyCakes View Post
Hello!

After a long sabbatical, I've decided to resume my Spanish studies. The problem, however, is motivation. I'm not currently enrolled in school, I don't need it for work, and I don't have any Spanish speaking friends with whom I could exchange small talk, so in short, I have no reason to learn it -- but I want to!!! It's a beautiful language and, despite the circumstances, one that I'm sure would be of some benefit, however small.

I have a great deal of respect for people who speak more than one language, and I feel somewhat uneasy that I don't. How do you continue when there's no "external" motivation? It's very difficult to press onward when the extent of its usage is eavesdropping on conversations in public. Nevertheless it's something that not only I want to do, but something I feel I should do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Your idea sound magnificent with the story that you have told us, I have left puzzled with your motivation and endeavour in same time, and I'm agree with you completely, you are right on for decided what really you want for your learning, therefore if you need a penpal in Spanish, I disposal to help you.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:38 AM
Opal

pia is on a distinguished road
there are two kinds of people. people who like and prefer learning on their own.

and i am guessing people like you who would actually enjoy a class setting.

if its possible i would say - join a class.

i say this because spanish is not like a history class. it is a math class. most of it is learning 'language formulas' and applying them to find patterns and then learning the rules and then vocab. the thing about learning the rules (like say for instance por vs. para) are that you practise, practise, practise till it actually becomes second nature for you. and you know the answer intuitively and yet you know the rules enough where you can logically explain why your answer is right - except for the exceptions.

one of my favourite things about taking this class is i didnt just learn language. i also learnt about difference in culture that happens through language.

i am not sure how you plan to learn the language. the free online ones are good for basics but then you need more. there is very little meat to the programs.

and talking to a native spanish speaker is not easy without you having a good grounding in spanish yourself.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pia View Post
there are two kinds of people. people who like and prefer learning on their own.

and i am guessing people like you who would actually enjoy a class setting.

if its possible i would say - join a class.

i say this because spanish is not like a history class. it is a math class. most of it is learning 'language formulas' and applying them to find patterns and then learning the rules and then vocab. the thing about learning the rules (like say for instance por vs. para) are that you practise, practise, practise till it actually becomes second nature for you. and you know the answer intuitively and yet you know the rules enough where you can logically explain why your answer is right - except for the exceptions.

one of my favourite things about taking this class is i didnt just learn language. i also learnt about difference in culture that happens through language.

i am not sure how you plan to learn the language. the free online ones are good for basics but then you need more. there is very little meat to the programs.

and talking to a native spanish speaker is not easy without you having a good grounding in spanish yourself.
I respect your view point in the as I should to take or setting my English class although we took different roads the road finally is the same, we need to learn some language in common your native language for me and for you my tongue mother language.

My method never I told you is effective although it has worked for me still now, perhaps not all the people have the enough capacity mentally speaking right to learn a book with different words mixed up and later to set them in practice in a conversation. So they need to learn in a class room, perhaps there're people who enjoy to practice the language with other person and with pass of the time you reach a decent level for you own. That's my point you see.

I have studied with my brother who he has a degree in foreign languages here in my country, he has helped so much in my learning. Already I don't need a teacher in my back for learn a tiny word.

Such I can get more words if I have a question simply or I investigate the answer directly from internet or surfing in the forums or maybe I'm going with him and I make the correct answer for clarify my question completely.

How you can see I can write all this in a short or determinate time without to think a lot that I need to say.

I'm not saying that my method is effective for you or other person with the same endeavour than me. Still I know that when I make mistake there's not going to back.

I have studied a lot of during a long time and I have strived me much during the last four years ago for I writing this long message.

Nothing is easy for anyone.

I accept all the corrections always the correction are understanding and logical, because sometimes the correction are merely connotation without sense.

Then knowing the basic for start to learn the language you can continue with help or without help without the needed to have some person in your back telling you that the you need to say in his or her way.

There's not way you make mistakes yourself when you have the correct information in my particular case, I'm keep short or long conversation with people who exclusively speak English.

Well I hope you can understand me in my way and this can be a clear example that you are motived for something and when you don't have time for assist some English or Spanish class you can make it well.

Sincerely yours.
Old December 22, 2011, 11:15 PM
Pearl

caliber1 is on a distinguished road
My own personal experience. I get to use the Spanish I know in situations at work when others English speakers can't communicate. When I have opportunities like that I feel much more motivated to stay the course. It is a rewarding feeling. Also, I joined these forums orginally thinking I new a lot, I soon saw some of the true bilingual people i.e. Rusty, Angelica, Alec, Wrholt, etc., and I had a quick reality check; however, that makes me feel like becoming bilingual is that much more attainable. I've since become sort of addicted to the forums. I have learned more in these forums than I ever did in a class. I feel like I'm gettin' a hand out here

PS. I taught my 2 1/2 year old daughter to say "hola". Now, every day when I get home I am greeted by a sweet, innocent voice saying, "hola daddy". How awesome is that!?

Last edited by caliber1; December 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old December 23, 2011, 07:48 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
I taught my 2 1/2 year old daughter to say "hola". Now, every day when I get home I am greeted by a sweet, innocent voice saying, "hola daddy". How awesome is that!?
That's awesome! Soon it'll be "Hola, papi. ¿Me prestas las llaves?"
Old December 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
That's awesome! Soon it'll be "Hola, papi. ¿Me prestas las llaves?"

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: