Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

USB Keyboard not recognizing commands

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Closed Thread

Old September 05, 2017, 06:48 PM
Opal

leelee1972 is on a distinguished road
USB Keyboard not recognizing commands

Hi there!

I recently hooked up my laptop to my television for a bigger screen, and sit on my sofa with my usb keyboard and wireless mouse and just use my computer that way.

The problem is that even though I have my keyboard settings in Windows 7 to US International so that I can use Spanish characters using different command keys, it is not working with this USB keyboard.

Is there a trick to getting my usb keyboard to recognize things like

Ctrl + ' + o

or does it have to be a special usb keyboard?

The reason I suspect there is something I can do to make this keyboard obey spanish-character commands is that on my built-in laptop keyboard, once I switched to US International mode, I always had to type ' or " twice in order to get apostrophes or quotation marks, and then backspace one space because there were always two of them. The same thing still happens on this USB keyboard.... so why wouldn't other commands like the one above (for accent over the letter "o") work?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 05, 2017, 07:39 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums!
Here is a thread that provides a number of ways to type the Spanish special characters.
Plus, here in Tomísimo, there is an 'Accents' drop-down menu that allows for special-character entry while responding to a post.

By the way, I know CTRL + ' + o as an MS Word shortcut for the letter ó. Using Word to compose your posts, and using this sequence to get accented vowels, is mentioned in the linked thread above.
Old September 05, 2017, 08:12 PM
Opal

leelee1972 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Welcome to the forums!
Here is a thread that provides a number of ways to type the Spanish special characters.
Plus, here in Tomísimo, there is an 'Accents' drop-down menu that allows for special-character entry while responding to a post.

By the way, I know CTRL + ' + o as an MS Word shortcut for the letter ó. Using Word to compose your posts, and using this sequence to get accented vowels, is mentioned in the linked thread above.
Thank you, Rusty! I will check out that thread!
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: