Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

... un polmo ...

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old June 16, 2008, 03:54 AM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Jane will become famous soon enough
... un polmo ...

I came across this sentence recently and I´m not exactly sure what it means.

Si estas echa un polmo,
Echale teatro.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 16, 2008, 08:12 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Never, ever heard it. Are you sure the word was polmo?
Old June 16, 2008, 08:17 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The entire saying is:
"Si estás hecho un lenguado, una seta, un ladrillo, un plomo o un rollo de papel...échale teatro". But, you'll only see one of the five objects listed at a time.

This is a promotional campaign to get people out to enjoy the cultural arts in Madrid. Five different signs with a picture of an object (un lenguado, una seta, un ladrillo, un plomo, or un rollo de papel) asks, "Si estás hecho un plomo (o una de las demás imágenes) ... échale teatro"
"Todo para recordar a las gentes del reino de Madrid que disponían de más de 60 teatros para no quedarse: "deslenguado", "desenrollado", "enladrillado", "encorsetado" y "desplomado".

Si estás hecho un plomo, échale teatro.
I guess there would be a picture of a bar of lead, or something like that. The meaning is something like:
If you're a pain in the neck (if you're extremely boring), add theater.
Then you'll be desplomado (not such a pain in the neck or so boring).

I'm sure a native could explain this better and in more detail. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Rusty; June 16, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:05 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The entire saying is:
"Si estás hecho un lenguado, una seta, un ladrillo, un plomo o un rollo de papel...échale teatro". But, you'll only see one of the five objects listed at a time.

This is a promotional campaign to get people out to enjoy the cultural arts in Madrid. Five different signs with a picture of an object (un lenguado, una seta, un ladrillo, un plomo, or un rollo de papel) asks, "Si estás hecho un plomo (o uno de las demás imágenes) ... échale teatro"
"Todo para recordar a las gentes del reino de Madrid que disponían de más de 60 teatros para no quedarse: "deslenguado", "desenrollado", "enladrillado", "encorsetado" y "desplomado".

Si estás hecho un plomo, échale teatro.
I guess there would be a picture of a bar of lead, or something like that. The meaning is something like:
If you're a pain in the neck (if you're extremely boring), add theater.
Then you'll be desplomado (not such a pain in the neck or so boring).

I'm sure a native could explain this better and in more detail. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I am really impressed. How did you resolve this? You must have a sixth sense to realise that polmo is plomo. Have you been to Madrid lately or do you read Spanish newspapers?
Old June 16, 2008, 09:24 AM
Señor Speedy

I'm a clever (Iris's word) researcher. I've never been to Spain, but found several websites that talked about the slogan. I hope I did it justice.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:32 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
I couldn't explain it better than Rusty.
This campaign is going on right now in Madrid, but I haven't seen a lonely advert on it (and I travel by metro!).
Jane catches meanings and things I would never pay attention to. She's going through Madrid with widely open eyes and mind. I wish to be she and see as many new things as she's seeing now.

Échale teatro is used here with a double meaning:
  • It's commonly used for hacer teatro: Echarle teatro a la vida es comportarse de manera dramática, mentirosa, falsa, exagerada.
  • The campaign takes advantage of the phrase, but changes its common meaning to a new one: go to the theatre.
Jaimito has dead this morning (Q.E.P.D.). He is been living with us for sixteen years. This little time has been enough to make us happier and better persons. He used to sign like an angel when he was young and healthy. Last months of his brief life were hard and quiet. This morning, I found his little body in the bottom of the cage. His two wings had a very strange disposition. his eyes were in blank. I beg a praying for the soul of my dear Jaimito. Hope to see you sometime in birds heaven.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
Señor Speedy

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your bird, Alfonso.

I learn a lot from you.
Q.E.P.D. (Que En Paz Descanse) = R.I.P. (Rest In Peace)

Last edited by Rusty; June 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old June 16, 2008, 10:11 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
This campaign is going on right now in Madrid, but I haven't seen a solitary advertisment for it (and I travel by metro!).
Jane catches meanings and things I would never pay attention to. She's going through Madrid with open eyes and mind. I wish to be like her, and see things with fresh eyes.

• It's commonly used for hacer teatro: Echarle teatro a la vida es comportarse de manera dramática, mentirosa, falsa, exagerada.
  • The campaign takes advantage of the phrase, but changes its common meaning to a new one: go to the theatre.
Jaimito has dead this morning (Q.E.P.D.). He is been living with us for sixteen years. This little time has been enough to make us happier and better people. He used to sing like an angel when he was young and healthy.The last months of his brief life were hard and quiet. This morning, I found his little body in the bottom of the cage. His two wings had a very strange position. his eyes were in blank. Please pray for the soul of my dear Jaimito. Hope to see you sometime in birds heaven.

-----
The last two sentences of your first paragraph were correct but rather unconventional. I put your words in more conventional English, and I don't believe I changed the meaning. I'm sorry to hear about you bird's death.
Sixteen years is a long time to be together.

Last edited by poli; June 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:35 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
This campaign is going on right now in Madrid, but I haven't seen a single advert on it (and I travel by metro!).
Jane catches meanings and things I would never pay attention to. She goes through Madrid with her eyes and mind wide open . I wish I was like her and could see as many new things as she's seeing now.

Jaimito has died this morning (RIP). He is been living with us for sixteen years. This little time has been enough to make us happier and better people. He used to sing like an angel when he was young and healthy. The last months of his brief life were hard and quiet. This morning, I found his little body in the bottom of the cage. His two wings were in a very strange position,his eyes were blank. I ask you to pray for the soul of my dear Jaimito. Hope to see you sometime in birds' heaven.
Did you really have a bird or is this some kind of elaborate joke?
As you like initials, I suppose you'll know RIP stands for rest in peace.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Did you really have a bird or is this some kind of elaborate joke?
Can be both?

Thank you very much, Poli and Gemma, for your corrections!

Tags
plomo

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: