Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Words ending in "-il"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old April 22, 2011, 07:49 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Arrow Words ending in "-il"

Are they adjectives?

I am reading an article that has the following sentence: Juan tiene un problema ratonil. My online Spanish-English dictionary doesn't have the word ratonil. But the RAE says "ratonero". It all makes sense in context, but I don't know that I've run across many adjectives ending in "-il".

Would it be possible for you to give me some examples? It's difficult to look up words by their endings.

Thanks!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Let's see: two common ones are fácil and difícil. And there's the near homonym to my first name, vil.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
Diamond

So is "-il" an indicator that a word is an adjective? Or is it just these few words that happen to end in "-il"?
Old April 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
So is "-il" an indicator that a word is an adjective? Or is it just these few words that happen to end in "-il"?
There are also a few nouns that end in "-il". It is not an indicator of what the type of word is.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:55 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are they adjectives?

I am reading an article that has the following sentence: Juan tiene un problema ratonil. My online Spanish-English dictionary doesn't have the word ratonil. But the RAE says "ratonero". It all makes sense in context, but I don't know that I've run across many adjectives ending in "-il".

Would it be possible for you to give me some examples? It's difficult to look up words by their endings.

Thanks!!
Yes, there are adjectives ending in "-il" but you're right, they're not very common. A couple come to mind:
"febril" = "feverish" // "monjil" = "prudish"(comes from "monja" = nun")

You know adjectives in Spanish have a lot of endings. Some are more common than others. When we want to "adjectivize" a noun, we tend to use the ending "oso/osa" : Trabajo = trabajoso // Fatiga = fatigoso.

And of course there are adjectives ending in "-avo" (bravo), "-ave" (suave), "-evo" (nuevo), "-ive" (inclusive), "eve" (breve)

Another common ending is "ivo", also used sometimes when making an adjective out of another word, usually a verb:Ahorrar = ahorrativo // Vengar = vengativo

Needless to say there are several other endings.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Luna Azul; April 22, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
Diamond

Yes, all of what you've both said helps very much!! I'm trying to find ways of giving myself mental clues as to what part of speech a word might be in, even if I don't know the word, and if context isn't helping me too much. I don't have much of a vocabulary yet (working on that), but I'm trying to do more and more reading. Recognizing word endings, suffixes, and even prefixes, etc., will be helpful.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Yes, all of what you've both said helps very much!! I'm trying to find ways of giving myself mental clues as to what part of speech a word might be in, even if I don't know the word, and if context isn't helping me too much. I don't have much of a vocabulary yet (working on that), but I'm trying to do more and more reading. Recognizing word endings, suffixes, and even prefixes, etc., will be helpful.
At this rate you'll be speaking Spanish better than me in a few months

You know, I don't have much opportunity to speak Spanish where I live and I'm actually forgetting the words... can you believe it? When I talk to my family or friends on the internet I get so embarrassed when I don't remember a word and I have to look it up in the English-Spanish dictionary..

Old April 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Azul View Post
At this rate you'll be speaking Spanish better than me in a few months

You know, I don't have much opportunity to speak Spanish where I live and I'm actually forgetting the words... can you believe it? When I talk to my family or friends on the internet I get so embarrassed when I don't remember a word and I have to look it up in the English-Spanish dictionary..
I doubt I will ever speak Spanish better than a native speaker, especially one who is educated! But I have an ongoing concern about studying the academics of the language so much that I end up sounding more like a textbook, and that I won't be able to handle colloquialisms.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
Emerald

Quote:
I doubt I will ever speak Spanish better than a native speaker, especially one who is educated! But I have an ongoing concern about studying the academics of the language so much that I end up sounding more like a textbook, and that I won't be able to handle colloquialisms.
I can understand that concern..

Old April 23, 2011, 03:24 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
-il is an adjectival ending derived from Latin -ilis 'of, capable of': civil; fabril; juvenil; pueril; viril. I give these examples, because with an added -e they are almost the same in English.

Some nouns have the same ending, but perhaps they started off as adjectives. Has portátil become a noun in this computer age?

Tags
-il, -ile, adjective, mobile, noun, word endings

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: