Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Adverb placement with multiple adverbs

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old June 12, 2016, 06:35 PM
Opal

Jorriss is on a distinguished road
Adverb placement with multiple adverbs

I wish to understand the placement of an adverb in the following two sentences. Let me first say that, as I understand, an adverb follows a verb, unless said adverb modifies another adverb, or if an adjective is being modified.

Continuing, "Ya se que ella esta aqui." In this sentence, there are two adverbs - ya, aqui. Aqui follows the rule I would expect it to, it modifies esta and hence is placed after esta. However, Ya is more confusing to me. Is ya modifying aqui in this instance, and is thus placed before se?

Similarly, "El siempre hace bien su tarea." The two adverbs are siempre and bien. Bien is placed where I would expect it to be. Is siempre modifying bien then?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 12, 2016, 07:53 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
It isn't true that an adverb must follow a verb. That is often the case, but it isn't always the case.

In your first sentence you have two clauses, separated by 'que'.
The adverb 'ya', in the first clause, modifies ''. It sounds better if said prior to the verb.
In the second clause, the adverb is 'aquí'. It may follow the verb or precede the verb, but because the subject pronoun is present, it may be better left the way it is.

In your last sentence you have a valid case of multiple adverbs, since there is only one clause. The first adverb, 'siempre', is one of frequency. The other is an adverb of manner (how something is done). It doesn't sound good to use these two together (that is usually only done when adverbs modify adjectives or adverbs or adverbial phrases), so they are located on opposite sides of the verb. The frequency adverb sounds better prior to the verb. The manner adverb sounds better after the verb.

By the way, there is an 'Accents' drop-down menu just above where you type where you can select the special characters needed to write in Spanish. There is a change in meaning between 'se' and '', 'esta' and 'está', 'El' and 'Él'. Also check the spelling of 'aquí'.
Old June 12, 2016, 11:07 PM
Opal

Jorriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It isn't true that an adverb must follow a verb. That is often the case, but it isn't always the case.

In your first sentence you have two clauses, separated by 'que'.
The adverb 'ya', in the first clause, modifies ''. It sounds better if said prior to the verb.
In the second clause, the adverb is 'aquí'. It may follow the verb or precede the verb, but because the subject pronoun is present, it may be better left the way it is.

In your last sentence you have a valid case of multiple adverbs, since there is only one clause. The first adverb, 'siempre', is one of frequency. The other is an adverb of manner (how something is done). It doesn't sound good to use these two together (that is usually only done when adverbs modify adjectives or adverbs or adverbial phrases), so they are located on opposite sides of the verb. The frequency adverb sounds better prior to the verb. The manner adverb sounds better after the verb.
Thank you, this is very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
By the way, there is an 'Accents' drop-down menu just above where you type where you can select the special characters needed to write in Spanish. There is a change in meaning between 'se' and '', 'esta' and 'está', 'El' and 'Él'. Also check the spelling of 'aquí'.
Yeah I know they are different, I just didn't know how to make the accents (in hindsight, I should have looked harder) . Thanks for letting me know how to do it!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: