Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Three sentences

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old November 20, 2009, 04:12 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Beto is on a distinguished road
Three sentences

If I say in Spanish, "Durante la visita ella habló a si misma", is that correct to say that, "During the visit she talked to herself?"

Also, I want to say, "I like to keep up with sports." "Me gusta mantenerme a los deportes.", or "Me gusta informarme sobre los deportes". By "keeping up with" I mean by reading the sports pages in the newspaper.

And number 3, I want to say, "Before arriving at my mother-in-laws, we visited with my wife's sister." How about: " Antes de llegar a mi suegra, visitamos con la hermana de mi esposa."

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 20, 2009, 04:44 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
My suggestions:

Durante la visita ella se habló a si misma.

Me gusta informarme de los deportes.
Me gusta ponerme al día de los deportes.

Antes de llegar donde vive/a la casa de mi suegra, visitamos con la cuñada (la hermana de mi esposa).
Old November 21, 2009, 10:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
If I say in Spanish, "Durante la visita ella habló a si misma", is that correct to say that, "During the visit she talked to herself?"

Also, I want to say, "I like to keep up with sports." "Me gusta mantenerme a los deportes.", or "Me gusta informarme sobre los deportes". By "keeping up with" I mean by reading the sports pages in the newspaper.

And number 3, I want to say, "Before arriving at my mother-in-laws, we visited with my wife's sister." How about: " Antes de llegar a mi suegra, visitamos con la hermana de mi esposa."
Hello.

How are you?

In the fist sentence is Me gusta manterme en forma this way sound more nature and it's more correct.

In the second Me gusta leer sobre deportes en los periodicos in this phrase I had to added something else for that the sentence make sense in the same aspect.

In the three way should be so Antes de llegar con mi suegra visitaremos a mi cuñada, I'm not very sure if you want to say the last phrase in present or past, therefore I wrote it in past.

I hope that can help you in something.

Have fun.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
If I say in Spanish, "Durante la visita ella se habló a si misma", is that correct to say that, "During the visit she talked to herself?"

Also, I want to say, "I like to keep up with sports." "Me gusta mantenerme al día con los deportes.", or "Me gusta informarme sobre los deportes" . By "keeping up with" I mean by reading the sports pages in the newspaper.

And number 3, I want to say, "Before arriving at my mother-in-law's, we visited with my wife's sister." How about: " Antes de llegar con mi suegra, visitamos a la hermana de mi esposa."
Old November 22, 2009, 02:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I'd say "antes de llegar a casa de mi suegra", instead of "con mi suegra" (unless you wanted to say: "we arrived with my mother-in-law)
Old November 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I'd say "antes de llegar a casa de mi suegra", instead of "con mi suegra" (unless you wanted to say: "we arrived with my mother-in-law)
It merely is the same of the that I said before, but it's well said.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:51 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Correctísimo.

Pero....

Me quieres decir que uno no puede decir por ejemplo cuando uno está hablando de que va uno de viaje a ver a la suegra pero, "antes de llegar con ella, pasaremos a visitar a mi cuñada"

¿Ni menos entender eso?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: