Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Reflexive verbs

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old February 09, 2010, 03:01 AM
Opal

Johntan is on a distinguished road
Reflexive verbs

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about reflexive verbs. When using, for example, levantarse and wanting to say "my family and I woke up", would you say "mi familia y yo nos levantamos"? or can the nos be left out? Basically what I'm asking is do you always need to include me, te, se etc. when using reflexive verbs, past, present and future?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 09, 2010, 03:33 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English English!
xchic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntan View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about reflexive verbs. When using, for example, levantarse and wanting to say "my family and I woke up", would you say "mi familia y yo nos levantamos"? or can the nos be left out? Basically what I'm asking is do you always need to include me, te, se etc. when using reflexive verbs, past, present and future?

'levantar' is to lift or raise something

'levantarse' is to lift or raise oneself - i.e. to get up

When using a reflexive verb you have to use the me, te etc., or the verb is no longer reflexive & the inference is that the action is being performed on something else. Reflexive verbs by their very nature infer that the action is being performed by someone to themselves.

Last edited by xchic; February 09, 2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old February 09, 2010, 03:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
A temporary response until somebody posts who knows what they are talking about:

Edit: that doesn't refer to xchic: he/she got in before me.

Yes, you always need the reflexive pronoun, otherwise the verb could be transitive, so you and your family lift something else up in the morning, not yourselves. (Just to confuse things, the Spanish talk of pronominal verbs more than reflexive ones)

levantar al abuelo de la silla: to get grandpa out of his chair
Old February 09, 2010, 04:05 AM
Opal

Johntan is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, sorted out my problem post haste. Just another quick question; I am trying to say "we started preparing". Would this be empezamos preperar, empezamos a preperar, or empezamos preperando? Whichever one it is, will this apply to all sentences involving "we started something" or "we ran something" etc.
Thank you
Old February 09, 2010, 04:19 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
A temporary response until somebody posts who knows what they are talking about:

Edit: that doesn't refer to xchic: he/she got in before me.

Yes, you always need the reflexive pronoun, otherwise the verb could be transitive, so you and your family lift something else up in the morning, not yourselves. (Just to confuse things, the Spanish talk of pronominal verbs more than reflexive ones)

levantar al abuelo de la silla: to get grandpa out of his chair
she

& there was me thinking the 'chic' was clue
Old February 09, 2010, 04:23 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks guys, sorted out my problem post haste. Just another quick question; I am trying to say "we started preparing". Would this be empezamos preperar, empezamos a preperar , or empezamos preperando? Whichever one it is, will this apply to all sentences involving "we started something" or "we ran something" etc.
Thank you
If in doubt, an infinitive is the best bet in Spanish, especially when the alternative in English is with an infinitive: we started to prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchic View Post
she

& there was me thinking the 'chic' was clue
I had noted the clue, and was 90% sure, but people get amazingly touchy if you presume wrongly.

Edit: Note to post-police: I can't help it if others post at the same time.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; February 09, 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old February 09, 2010, 04:25 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Thanks guys, sorted out my problem post haste. Just another quick question; I am trying to say "we started preparing". Would this be empezamos preperar, empezamos a preperar, or empezamos preperando? Whichever one it is, will this apply to all sentences involving "we started something" or "we ran something" etc.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
If in doubt, an infinitive is the best bet in Spanish, especially when the alternative in English is with an infinitive: we started to prepare.
I agree with Perikles, but empezamos a preparar

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: