Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Fonetica y Fonologia

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old March 23, 2015, 07:34 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Roxerz is on a distinguished road
Fonetica y Fonologia

I´m trying to see if I am understanding the rules correctly. For example the letter /b/ sounds like Alófono oclusivo when [b] it starts, after pause, after letter M or N? From my understanding from asking the teacher, only after the letters M or N but with these kinds of questions, I don't phrase it very well in Spanish nor I understand the response too well in Spanish.

The alófono /b/ is fricativo [ß] when it is between vowel (or) after L, R?

The đ sounds like the English "D" but the regular spanish "d" sounds more like a "th"? For example the world quality or caliđad? I had it backward and thought the first letter "đ" was the "th" sound and the last "d" was the English sound until I asked a local to say it.

Old March 23, 2015, 08:41 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Besides the 'b', 'g' and 'd' covered in your text, there are other consonants you don't have quite right in your answers. For example, the 's' (or 'z' in Latin America) before a 'd' (and certain other consonants) changes to an English 'z' sound, and the IPA symbol is '/z/'.

Both the first and the second 'd' in 'cualidad' are pronounced the same way-only the first 'd' is correctly rendered.

The sentence "Mi padre está descansando en la cama" is correct.
The sentence "En ese lugar hay muchos duendes" has two incorrect symbols-the 'g' in 'lugar' and the 's' in front of the word 'duendes'.
The sentence "La taza de plata está vendida" is correct.
The sentence "No puedes decirme lo que tengo que hacer pues soy un adulto" has an incorrect symbol for the 's' in 'puedes'.
The 'n' in 'tengo' is also incorrect. It should be '/ŋ/' (velar nasal).

If you'd like citations for the corrections given, just ask.
I don't know if other consonants have been discussed in your classes, but suffice it to say that there are more rules than just the page you're studying.

Last edited by Rusty; March 23, 2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old March 23, 2015, 09:38 PM
Ruby

Roxerz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Besides the 'b', 'g' and 'd' covered in your text, there are other consonants you don't have quite right in your answers. For example, the 's' (or 'z' in Latin America) before a 'd' (and certain other consonants) changes to an English 'z' sound, and the IPA symbol is '/z/'.

Both the first and the second 'd' in 'cualidad' are pronounced the same way-only the first 'd' is correctly rendered.

The sentence "Mi padre está descansando en la cama" is correct.
The sentence "En ese lugar hay muchos duendes" has two incorrect symbols-the 'g' in 'lugar' and the 's' in front of the word 'duendes'.
The sentence "La taza de plata está vendida" is correct.
The sentence "No puedes decirme lo que tengo que hacer pues soy un adulto" has an incorrect symbol for the 's' in 'puedes'.
The 'n' in 'tengo' is also incorrect. It should be '/ŋ/' (velar nasal).

If you'd like citations for the corrections given, just ask.
I don't know if other consonants have been discussed in your classes, but suffice it to say that there are more rules than just the page you're studying.
Thank you for the quick and detailed response. When I did this exercise, the only Fonemas we learned were P, T, K, B, D, G. The ones we did after these were F, S, X, (j symbol I cant find), M, N, ŋ, L, R, RR.

I wasn´t aware that the English Z sound existed in the Spanish language. Here in Mexico, majority of the class are English speakers and we´ve been fighting to get rid of the English Z sound in our pronounciation since we have had that habit since day 1.

This may sound stupid but what is an IPA? I can't think of anything besides Indian Pale Ale beer.

Although this chapter covers two different Alofonos of B, for the letter V, we are told it is going to be a variation of the letter B but in our minds, many of us still here the letter V pronounced from native speakers. When I say Vamos, I say it like /bamos/ but when I say Voy, I hear the English V. For me, it doesn´t sound like /Boi/

Also, I would like to know the references purely to better myself with pronounciations or if you could point me to any books. I had a hard time finding this kind of stuff online besides youtube.
Old March 23, 2015, 10:15 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Roxerz: IPA = International Phonetic Alphabet.
Old March 23, 2015, 10:37 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
IPA = International Phonetic Alphabet
(and the organization that upholds it-International Phonetic Association)

I looked but couldn't find a website that covers all the rules, but here is a pretty good one and here is one that describes every nuance in linguistic terms.

I can't find it right now, but there is a forum thread where I specifically mentioned that an 'n' is pronounced like an 'm' before 'b', 'f', 'm', 'p' or 'v'. For instance, 'invierno' is pronounced as if it were spelled 'imbierno' (I threw in the 'b' because there is NO difference between a 'b' and a 'v' in most of the Spanish-speaking world).
Both 'vamos' and 'voy' begin with the same sound.

The letter 's' sounds like the English 'z' before 'b', 'd', 'g', 'l', 'm', 'n' and 'v'.

I think you'll love this converter. Type in a properly accented sentence, provide the math equation result and see the IPA conversion!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: