Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Hardest thing for you learning a new language?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I find listening the most difficult thing when learning English. When I study Italian, the worse thing is writing, because they use a lot of doubled consonants, and Spanish doesn't. Maybe it depends on the language you're learning

I think I had to say "the Spanish" instead "Spanish", I wanted to say "los españoles". . Anyway the sentence is not very clear, I think, since I say "they" but I didn't say "the Italian". Sorry.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 27, 2009, 05:46 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Most Americans have trouble speaking Chinese correctly and getting the right tones.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:41 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
Most Americans have trouble speaking Chinese correctly and getting the right tones.
Intonation is most everything in a language. It tells where the person comes from.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:15 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
The hardest thing about learning language is reaching functional fluency-- meaning the ability to express most things you want or need to say.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:02 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I find listening the most difficult thing when learning English. When I study Italian, the worse thing is writing, because they use a lot of doubled consonants, and Spanish doesn't. Maybe it depends on the language you're learning

I think I had to say "the Spanish" instead "Spanish", I wanted to say "los españoles". . Anyway the sentence is not very clear, I think, since I say "they" but I didn't say "the Italian". Sorry.
Yes, you are right in the leaning of the languages most Chinese or Russian they are most hard to learn sometimes for the people, in my case is most prone when I'm speaking English with someone, still I can't to talk with someone or more well, I'm not able to have a conversation with somebody at English first one because I haven't with who to practice the English to oral way, and second one because sometimes the words leave my head in both cases my hand forget some words and when I'm speaking with someone the word that learnt before in that moment I don't remember.

jijij.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:15 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
The hardest thing about learning language is reaching functional fluency-- meaning the ability to express most things you want or need to say.
It's true when you try to have a language fluency.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:26 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Yes, but realize that if you have fluence in one language, there is no reason why you shouldn't have it in another. So it comes back to your mind being your worst enemy.

Until then, you're slave of your own mind.

Oh, I can't such and such.
It's hard for me, because...
I don't have time...

etc.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Yes, but realize that if you have fluence in one language, there is no reason why you shouldn't have it in another. So it comes back to your mind being your worst enemy.

Until then, you're slave of your own mind.

Oh, I can't such and such.
It's hard for me, because...
I don't have time...

etc.

The times is one of the worse element in the learning of some language.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:37 AM
Diamond

irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
I think that everything is difficult when learning Chinese: listening, speaking, writing, reading... and the tones. One friend of mine lived with a Chinese who changed her name to a Spanish name because nobody here could say correctly her name and she didn't understand when someone pronounced it.
Old April 28, 2009, 02:33 PM
Emerald

Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
The mind certainly is your best friend or worst enemy. Like a psychologist friend of mine said "El coco dá pá mucho".
Anyone out there bilingual, having learnt two languages (if not more) from childhood or are there any of you who have bilingual children? It is really interesting to watch them develop. I've always talked to my son in English. From about the age of 1.5, although he couldn't speak very well, he was able to discern what language was the most appropriate. He spoke Spanish to the neighbours and English to his mum and dad. From lack of vocabulary, he mixed both languages for a while until the day when, when stuck for a word, he said "Mummy, how do you say ......?
Children don't have our hang ups. They just get on with it.
Watching my cousins when they were small - two bilingual Spanish/English, two bilingual Spanish/French and two Spanish speakers. They soon realised that the language they had in common was Spanish but it was amusing to see them playing the first day, mixing languages. It was a real tower of Babel.

Tags
hardest thing

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: