Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Help understanding a few sentences

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old June 22, 2011, 04:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Help understanding a few sentences

I am working in my book on the subjunctive, and I got the following questions correct (because of the grammar), but am not sure about their meanings.

1) Los jugadores habían ganado antes de que el otro equipo saliera a la cancha.
My thinking is: "The players had won the game before the other team left the field." But that doesn't seem right because of course the winning team won before the other team leaves the field. How else can a team win. I keep thinking it should say "Los jugadores habían ganado antes de que el otro equipo llegara a la cancha." What am I missing?

3) Ellos preferían ver películas que tuvieran que ver con lo sobrenatural.
My thinking is: "They preferred to see movies that they had to see with the supernatural." That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I am working in my book on the subjunctive, and I got the following questions correct (because of the grammar), but am not sure about their meanings.

My thinking is: "The players had won the game before the other team left the field." But that doesn't seem right because of course the winning team won before the other team leaves the field. How else can a team win. I keep thinking it should say "Los jugadores habían ganado antes de que el otro equipo llegara a la cancha." What am I missing?

3) Ellos preferían ver películas que tuvieran que ver con lo sobrenatural.
My thinking is: "They preferred to see movies that they had to see with the supernatural." That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated!
#1 You got one of the pet peeves I have about going out into the garden/patio. (Is this enough clue?)

#2 in this case "to see" would be "to do" in English. (one of those things you have to live with, unless there is a grammatical explanation, if so, I would like to know too!)
Old June 22, 2011, 08:02 AM
Diamond

aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
#1. "Habían ganado .... antes ...... salieran" means the match was somewhat meant to be that way before it was played, presumably because of the superiority of one team.

# tener que ver = to have to do, to relate to
Old June 22, 2011, 09:22 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
1) salir = to go out (onto the field)
This is the meaning you haven't explored. The team left one place (salir = leave) to go out to another place. The clue is in the preposition that follows it. Salir has many meanings besides 'leave'.

Last edited by Rusty; June 22, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old June 23, 2011, 05:34 AM
Diamond

1) I understand about "salir" meaning to "go out", but I don't understand why the sentence uses "a" and not "de". Shouldn't it be "Los jugadores habían ganado antes de que el otro equipo saliera a la cancha."???

3) Chileno - I have no idea how that makes the sentence any clearer... I'm assuming that you mean the second "ver", and not the first ... right?? And that you mean "to do" as in "about" (not "to do something"). So, "they prefer to see movies that have to do with the supernatural." As in "ver" = "sobre" like "... películas sobre el sobrenatural"? Is that some special construction with "ver con lo"???? It doesn't make sense to me...... The word "ver" is here ( http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...3&LEMA=interno ) in RAE. Can you point me to the meaning that has "ver" = "to do"?
Old June 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
Diamond

Quote:

Quote:
1) I understand about "salir" meaning to "go out", but I don't understand why the sentence uses "a" and not "de". Shouldn't it be "Los jugadores habían ganado antes de que el otro equipo saliera a la cancha."???

3) Chileno - I have no idea how that makes the sentence any clearer... I'm assuming that you mean the second "ver", and not the first ... right?? And that you mean "to do" as in "about" (not "to do something"). So, "they prefer to see movies that have to do with the supernatural." As in "ver" = "sobre" like "... películas sobre el sobrenatural"? Is that some special construction with "ver con lo"???? It doesn't make sense to me...... The word "ver" is here ( http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...3&LEMA=interno ) in RAE. Can you point me to the meaning that has "ver" = "to do"?
That link goes to interno.

And you are right, you cannot see what I consider a problem for us Spanish speakers.

The fact that in English you can go out into a patio, is somewhat bothersome in our minds, I would understand easily onto.

In this case: The players had won the game before the other team came out into the field.

In Spanish "tener que ver con" = "it has to do with" = It is related to...
Old June 23, 2011, 07:49 AM
Diamond

aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
To those who do like to read:

«Barcelona “sobró” el partido, por más que Guardiola haya dicho en la previa que los jugadores debían estar concentrados, y no creer que el partido ya estaba ganado antes de saltar al campo de juego, dentro de la cancha se vio otra cosa.»

Corregir "a" a "de" en la frase original es tan informativo como decir "el sol se puso antes de que hubiera noche cerrada".
Old June 23, 2011, 08:03 AM
Diamond

Sorry - I find that the RAE website always hangs on to a URL that was used many clicks ago. Here is what I meant: http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...BUS=3&LEMA=ver
Old June 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Sorry - I find that the RAE website always hangs on to a URL that was used many clicks ago. Here is what I meant: http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...BUS=3&LEMA=ver
I understand. Thaht's why I included the following line up there.

Last edited by Rusty; June 24, 2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old June 24, 2011, 04:41 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I understand. Thaht's why I included the following line up there.

So is that mostly things like plays and books and movies, etc.? Do you see it on the RAE definitions?

Last edited by Rusty; June 24, 2011 at 06:48 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: