Old May 10, 2009, 02:24 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I don't understand this!

GENETIC DISCRIMINATION

While most Americans are optimistic about the use of genetic information to improve health, many are concerned that genetic information may be used by insurers to deny, limit or cancel health insurance, and by employers to discriminate in the workplace. They are worried that some insurers may choose not to insure people who are healthy but genetically pre-disposed to future disease: such people incur more health-related costs for the insurance than people who are not predisposed. Similarly, they fear that some employers might only hire or keep people who are not pre-disposed to future disease onset, since healthy individuals are more productive.

Questions that society will be forced to deal with include:
Who should have access to personal genetic information, and how will it be used? Will taking genetic tests be required?

In addition, how will personal genetic information affect an individual and society’s perceptions of that individual?

DO THE BENEFITS OF GENETIC TESTING OUTWEIGH THE RISKS OF HAVING THE TESTS DONE?

YES or NO?

What I don't understand is the question in bold print!! my side is "no" and I don't know if that means AGAINST discrimination or FOR discrimination. And I don't know what to write!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 10, 2009, 03:34 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
¡Esta artícul me hace múy, múy enfermo! Yo odio el sistema de salud aquí en Los Estados Unidos. Los médicos/FDA/ no nos parecen precocuparse a la personas. Ellos quieren dinero. La comañíos de seguros valor dinero sobre humano vida, es triste, pero verdad

Pienso, ellos deben hacer el experimentos, pero Congress necesita hacer leyes prohibiendo discriminación.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:23 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I need to explain why genetic testing does more harm than good
Old May 10, 2009, 06:46 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
If I understand well, this paragraph is saying that genetic information of individuals can be used with non-ethical purposes. Suppose your genetic features can be listed and that everyone can have access to this information...
Think about the implications on law, politics, social issues, etc...
Consider, for example, who will decide what features are acceptable and which are not for the population. In an individual case, if your genetic profile says you can develop a heart disease in the future, maybe insurance companies will refuse to give you any service, employers won't be sure about how productive you will be, or even maybe there will be a law that will forbid you to marry someone because your children could inherit his genetic "weaknesses" as well as yours... things like that...

Good luck.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: