Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Self introduction paragraph

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old December 21, 2010, 07:16 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
dreax is on a distinguished road
Self introduction paragraph

Hello
This homework is about my family and myself. It´s of beginner´s level so it´s full of short and simple sentences. All contexts are from my textbook so please pardon me for my paragraph. Need some help in word usage and grammar since I cannot point out my mistakes/errors myself

¡Hola! Me llamo Andrea.Soy estudiante de Feng Chia. Soy singapurensa de Choa Chu Kang, la afuera en el occidental de Singapur. Hablo inglés, mandarín y un poquito español. Tengo 23 años. Estoy soltera con compromiso. Esta es la fotografía de mi familia, mis padres, mis hermanos y mi hermana. Mi papa es taxista. Trabaja en su coche alquilado. Gustamos comida japonesa, por ejemplo sushi y sashimi. Esta comida vale $85. Yo y mi hermana gustamos fondue de chocolate. Mis padres gustan el café con leche. Mi segundo hermano gusta el café de moca con hielo. Mi tercero hermano gusta el batido de mango. Mi hermana gusta el batido de uva. Vivimos en un piso en Singapur. Está a quince minutos a pie de la estación de metro. ¡Espero veros pronto! Gracias.

Please feel free to point out my mistakes!
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 21, 2010, 07:48 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreax View Post
... It´s at a beginner´s level so it´s ...

Soy singapurensa de Choa Chu Kang, la afuera en el occidental de Singapur. If you're trying to say 'out in the east of Singapur', you don't need to translate so literally. Just say 'situated in ...'.
Mi papa es taxista.
Gustamos (missing article) comida japonesa, por ejemplo, (missing article) sushi y (missing article) sashimi.
Esta comida vale $85. Yo y mi hermana gustamos (missing article) fondue de chocolate. Mis padres gustan el café con leche. Mi segundo hermano gusta el café de moca con hielo. Mi tercero hermano gusta el batido de mango. Mi hermana gusta el batido de uva.
The majority of the problems marked in red have to do with improper use of the verb gustar.
This verb takes an indirect object. The subject may precede or follow it, but most people place it behind the verb. The verb does not translate as 'to like'. You should think of it as 'to be pleasing to'. The thing that is pleasing to someone is the subject. To whom it is pleasing is the indirect object. In Spanish, when you use an indirect object, you must use an indirect object pronoun. The indirect object itself, which isn't always required, is preceded with the preposition a.
I like chocolate. = Me gusta el chocolate.
Notice that the subject (el chocolate) is following the verb. In English, chocolate is the direct object, but in Spanish, the subject is 'what is pleasing'. To whom it is pleasing is the indirect object. I wrote only the indirect object pronoun (which precedes a conjugated verb in Spanish). I omitted the indirect object a mí because it is evident from the pronoun I used that I was referring to myself.
My sister likes Japanese food. = A mi hermana le gusta la comida japonesa.
Here is an example of a sentence with the indirect object included. It is preceded by the preposition a. The ambiguous 3rd-person le usually requires the indirect object (at least until the person has been established). Once the person is known, the indirect object can be omitted, but not the indirect object pronoun.
If the food is pleasing to us, we write nos gusta la comida. If the subject is plural, as in apples, we write nos gustan las manzanas. The conjugated verb must agree in number with the subject.

Last edited by Rusty; December 21, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old December 22, 2010, 06:47 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
dreax is on a distinguished road
Thank you Rusty!
You have been a great help!
I understand the point of missing articles now!
Thank you so much!
Will get on to my revision of text!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: