Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Era/fue divertido

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Closed Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 01:37 PM
Pearl

gramatica is on a distinguished road
Era/fue divertido

Hola a todos:

¿Me podrían decir si están bien estas frases, por favor?

fui a un museo. Era/fue muy divertido porque.../Vi una película. Era/fue muy interesante porque

Gracias

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:30 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry to say this, but I think this question has been replied to several times before.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:22 PM
Pearl

Thank you, but these particular sentences have not been already checked. Could you or someone else please verify that they are correct?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2010, 10:25 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
They are both correct, using either of the proposed verbs in the past tense. It depends on what you intend to say. If you're about to go into the 'details', use the imperfect tense. If you're eager to move on to the next topic and gloss over the details, use the preterite.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
Pearl

Thank you very much

You could replace it with any adjective, right?

Fui al museo. Era/fue muy dificil de llegar porque estaba en las montanas y nadie sabia/supo (cuando se lo pregunte) dar buenas dirreciones.

Just for an example...

Thanks

Last edited by gramatica; May 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatica View Post
fui a un museo. Era/fue muy divertido porque.../Vi una película. Era/fue muy interesante porque
From my viewpoint, in these particular examples, while both are "ok", as a common usage in this very context I would not use "era"
Fui a un museo. Fue muy divertido porque.../ Vi una película. Fue muy interesante porque...

Rusty is totally on point, though. My understanding with "fue" is that "the fact of having gone to the museum" was fun... If I say "era", what was fun was the "fact of being at the museum". Again (progressive, durative idea).
"Fue" = The film was interesting. "Era" = The fact of seeing the film was interesting.
(This is the way I perceive it.) And yes, we have answered this topic, but I undertand you need to see more specific examples... (I hope this helps.)
Old May 26, 2010, 01:20 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm not sure if a museum is funny (maybe some specific museum)

I'd say something like:

Fui a un museo y lo encontré muy interesante (I went there just once). Había (imperfect, because the pictures usually are there and you're doing a description) muchos cuadros de pintores famosos. Me encontré a mi vecino (at that moment) y estuvimos hablando de muchas cosas. Me dijo que trabajaba mucho (narration), que dormía poco, que estaba muy cansado. Después nos fuimos a tomar algo juntos (at that moment).

Cuando estudiaba en la universidad, iba a menudo a los museos (narration; something is repeated from time to time), los encontraba muy interesantes. Un vecino mío solía venir conmigo y siempre me hablaba de lo mucho que trabajaba y de lo poco que dormía. Después siempre nos íbamos a tomar algo juntos (narration).

El otro día estaba visitando el museo y me encontré a mi vecino (I was doing something when something happened). Cuando estaba hablando de lo mucho que trabajaba y lo poco que dormía, me fui y allí se quedó con la boca abierta (siempre me cuenta lo mismo ).

Imperfect: narration, description, something habitual (siempre, a menudo, alguna vez,...)
Simple perfect: string of events, isolated events (entonces, ese día,...).

I hope it helps
Old May 26, 2010, 11:53 PM
Diamond

Well, Irmamar, I think your explanation and examples are very good, I hope they are helpful for 'Gramatica'.

By the by, to me, any museum is a lot of fun... (diversión) (not necessarily "funny" [gracioso]) But that's maybe because I like ART in all its forms, scientific specimens [knowledge, knowledge, knowledge!] and objects of permanent value... I used to go to the ATARAZANAS museum at the Barcelona harbour (Les Dressanes in Catalonian) with my dad and sometimes the kids of his school... and we would spend hours on end watching the ships in miniature, the big galley used by Juan de Austria (real size) and the many things that were there... I was not bored at all... and none of the other kids were... to tell you the truth it was real fun... But same happens with the Picasso museum, or the Dalí one at Figueres (I have not been at the Cadaqués one). I mean... sometimes is better than watching a movie... [although nothing tops having some discussion in this forum... ]

It could also be that "Museum" is Latin for "place sacred to the Muses" and I must like to muse [meditate; contemplate] about the Muses...
Old May 27, 2010, 12:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
No tenía ni idea de que Drassanes (creo que es con a ) significaba Atarazanas, como siempre he visto drassanes (aunque tampoco sabía qué significaba atarazanas, ahora ya lo sé).

Para mí "divertido" se refiere a un ámbito más festivo, de buen humor, risas, etc. Otra cosa sería entretenido, interesante, disfrutar de algo (porque puedes disfrutar mucho de una visita a un museo), por ejemplo. Supongo que sería como "funny" y "enjoyable" o "amusing").

And I agree with you about the connection between museum and muse with the meaning of contemplation and meditation.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:38 AM
Diamond

Sí, "Drassanes" es más común, aunque también se escribe con "e" (más arcaico... debe ser mis viejos recuerdos...). Es curioso que el término venga del árabe (of all things! = ¡quién lo iba a decir!)

Bueno, "divertir" según DRAE "entretener, recrear". Pero entiendo lo que dices. A veces decimos "fue una gozada" de forma coloquial, y puede ser una cosa o la otra, dependiendo de la experiencia sujetiva... digo, suBjetiva, de cada sujeto, de cada cual o de cada quien... (Le escribré a la Academia para que incluyan "sujetivo: relativo al sujeto; personal e intransferible")
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: