Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Derechohabientes - Necesito ayuda

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old March 21, 2008, 05:33 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish, but more comfortable with English
gomey is on a distinguished road
Derechohabientes - Necesito ayuda

Hola,

No se como traducir la palabra "derechohabientes" Quizas sera "insured"?

Fue llevado a cabo en un centro médico de tercer nivel de atención de salud para derechohabientes registrados, nivel socioeconómico medio y medio bajo.

It was carried out at a third level health care center for registered derechohabientes, middle and middle low socioeconomic status.

Gracias,
Gomey

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 21, 2008, 09:56 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Derechoshabientes (derechos-habientes | derechos habientes) se traduce 'rights holders' o 'right holders' en inglés. Se puede escribir con guión, también.

Traduciría yo la frase así:

It was carried out at a third-level healthcare center for registered rights holders, mid- and low-mid-socioeconomic status.

Last edited by Rusty; March 22, 2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old March 22, 2008, 05:06 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
En español derechohabientes o derecho-habientes es una palabra muy rara. Sin duda es español exclusivamente jurídico.

El uso de haber por tener está muy anticuado.

Para resultar un poco más moderno y comprensible, el texto español debería sustituir derechohabientes por benefactores de la seguridad social, personas con derecho a la atención médica, asegurados (depende del contexto), etc. Es más largo, pero más claro.

Además, falta una preposición y sobra una coma:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomey View Post
Fue llevado a cabo en un centro médico de tercer nivel de atención de salud para derechohabientes registrados de nivel socioeconómico medio y medio bajo.

Last edited by Alfonso; March 22, 2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: correction added
Old March 22, 2008, 06:17 AM
Señor Speedy

Sí, si puede usar otra selección, como sugerió Alfonso, podría darle una traducción mejor. No suena bien decir 'rights holders' en esta frase.

Last edited by Rusty; March 22, 2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old March 22, 2008, 07:12 AM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Hola Gomey:

For your question.... what was carried out? Makes a difference in the translation as I need to know what was carried out.

"It was carried out at a third level health care center for registered derechohabientes, middle and middle low socioeconomic status"

Elaina
Old March 23, 2008, 12:50 PM
Ruby

Gracias por las repuestas. I translated the material as follows:

Material and methods
Prospective, longitudinal, open and observational study performed from August 1, 2006 to December 2006. It was carried out in a third level of care medical center for registered insured, of mid and low mid socioeconomic status. The diagnosis of strabismus was performed by the Department of Strabismus. The first phase of the study consists of the diagnosis of sensiromotor functions, visual motor skills, and depressive changes in children with strabismus. Included in the study were children 4 to 10 years of age, with diagnosis of recurrent strabismus, who had binocularity defect, cooperative, and with diagnosis of psychomotor developmental delay or aggregated systemic diseases.

Material y métodos
Estudio prospectivo, longitudinal, abierto y observacional, realizado del 1 de agosto de 2006 al 1 de diciembre de 2006. Fue llevado a cabo en un centro médico de tercer nivel de atención de salud para derechohabientes registrados, nivel socioeconómico medio y medio bajo. El diagnóstico de estrabismo fue realizado por el Departamento de Estrabismo. La primera fase del estudio consiste en el diagnóstico de las funciones sensoriomotoras, habilidades visomotoras y cambios depresivos en niños con estrabismo. Se incluyeron en el estudio, niños de cuatro a 10 años de edad, con diagnóstico de estrabismo recurrente, que cursaban con defecto de binocularidad, cooperadores y sin diagnóstico de retraso en el desarrollo psicomotor ni enfermedades sistémicas agregadas.

Gomey
Mexico
Old March 23, 2008, 02:31 PM
Señor Speedy

The first sentence is a fragment in both versions, so I guess that doesn't need addressed. However, the words "registered insured" don't make sense. Here is what I would suggest:

Quote:
Prospective, longitudinal, open and observational study performed from August 1, 2006 to December 2006. It was carried out in a third-level healthcare center for insured individuals, of mid- to low-mid-socioeconomic status. The diagnosis of strabismus was performed by the Department of Strabismus. The first phase of the study consisted in the diagnosis of sensorimotor functions, visual motor skills, and depressive changes in children with strabismus. Included in the study were cooperative children, 4 to 10 years of age, with a diagnosis of recurrent strabismus who often had problems with binocularity, and without a diagnosis of psychomotor developmental delay or aggregated systemic diseases.
The hyphens are necessary in proper English.
I believe the past tense should have been used, since the study occurred in the past.
I moved 'cooperative' to a more logical position and removed superfluous commas.
I opted for 'often had problems with' as a clearer way to say cursaban con defecto de.
Finally, the word sin was not translated correctly in your version.

Last edited by Rusty; March 23, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old March 23, 2008, 03:01 PM
Ruby

Thank you Rusty for your help. This is a very awkwardly written medical paper, which will need more brushing up once I do the first draft. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Gomey
Old March 23, 2008, 07:59 PM
Señor Speedy

Un placer. Buena suerte con lo que resta.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:54 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Wow Rusty, I think yours is a great translation. It's clearer than the Spanish text. So you didn't only translate it, you also improved it.

Regarding Gomey's work, I guess that maybe you're hired only to do a more or less literal translation, a first draft, and that there will be, after your work, a corrector de pruebas (I don't know what to call this in English, it's a specific job at editorial companies), who would have the task of brushing up your work.

Rusty, your explanations about your decisions are also really interesting. I've learnt a lot!

Last edited by Alfonso; March 24, 2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Correction thanks to Mxchana

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: