Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Checking an introduction for accuracy

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old September 12, 2012, 03:21 AM
Opal

al.khwarizmi is on a distinguished road
Checking an introduction for accuracy

On a language learning profile on another site, I have the following as an introduction. My native language is of course English and I want to have an idea of how accurate the Spanish rendition is:
¡Hola! Creo es hora de aprender un idioma que se habla en el área. Ves (ve?), ya sé dos idiomas aparte de inglés. Específicamente, alemán y sueco. Pero, mientras que no es fácil en absoluto encontrar un diario como Dagens Nyheter aquí, es muy fácil encontrar "El Hispano". (Vivo a un poco menos de 150 km de New York City.) Así que se me occurrió que debería aprender español. En todo caso, me encantaría tener una lengua romance al lado de esas lenguas germánicas...

(Greetings! I think it's time to learn a language actually spoken in my area. You see, I already know two languages other than English. Namely, German and Swedish. But, while it's hard to find a newspaper like Dagens Nyheter here, it is quite easy to find "El Hispano". (I live a little less than 150 km from New York City.) So I thought I should learn Spanish. It would be nice to have a Romance language alongside those Germanic languages, in any case...)
Now I wrote this with the aid of a grammar and dictionary, Googling to see if people actually use phrases I came up with ... I am very novice.

Where it says (ve?), I'm not sure which conjugation of "ver" should be used on the Internet. I know that, in German, using the Sie form (which is pretty similar to usted) on the Internet, even though there are many strangers, would just come across as snide and sarcastic.

If it helps I plan on talking mainly to Latin Americans.

Thanks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:26 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums!

You did very well for a novice.
Some notes:

Instead of literally translating 'you see', omit it. 'Ya sé ... aparte del inglés, específicamente el alemán y el sueco.' If you must use something, it would be something like 'A saber, ...'.

ocurrió

Instead of using 'lengua', keep with 'idioma' in the last part of your introduction.

Last edited by Rusty; September 12, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old September 12, 2012, 07:48 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums! I agree with Rusty; you did very well for a novice.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Wow, welcome to the forums!

You are novice and nobody helped you to write with such fluency?

I wonder how would you express yourself when you are a master...

(If I sound in incredulous is because I am... but if you wrote this by yourself, only helped by Internet... more power to you!)

You will always have people willing to help you with any questions here...

Note, you can use "¿ves?" informally and "¿ve?" formally... but the "you see" that is so common in English is probably omitted in Spanish... "o sea" could be a cliché used in Spain and other areas... "¿sabes?" or "¿sabe?" (you know?) could be also used, but in oral expression, rather than in writing...

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: