Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Este verano en Buenos Aires????

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old April 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Ookami - your statement was perfectly fine. I will keep your e-mail address handy! If you want to go ahead and delete from the message above, I've saved it elsewhere.

I'll be studying at the Universidad Belgrano: http://www.ub.edu.ar/ - are you familiar with it?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I like different parts of Buenos Aires for different things. Montserrat is interesting for its impressive buildings. Palermo is nice for it's houses along tree lined side streets and vast parks, but I don't like Palermo Hollywood because it seems too much like a highway zone. I don't like la Costanera del Norte. La Recoleta reminds me Paris. Barrio del Norte along Santa Fe is good for shopping as is Microcentro. San Telmo is nice on the weekends around Plaza Dorrego. Corrientes is great for theater and book stores. It's a good town, and it's a little bit slower paced that other cities of its size, and people speak more slowly too which makes it easier for me to understand.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
Diamond

Thanks, Poli - very helpful. Anyone other general comments about Buenos Aires would be greatly appreciated!
Old April 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Wow, you know a lot about Bs.As! I'm in Palermo, near Santa Fe and Corrientes
Have you traveled outside Capital Federal?

The really beauty of Argentina is on the provinces, there you've almost all kinds of weathers and landscapes, but for that you need a lot more time. For example, two weeks ago I went to Iguazú waterfalls, and that's an unforgetable place.

laepelba, I know UB by name and by some friends that go there, but not much more than that. Here the mayority of people (even rich ones) goes to public universitys, that are completely free. (UBA, that is only in Capital Federal, has more than 25% of all the students of the country) From my friends UB seems like a very good university. If I had to study in a private university, it would be an important option.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:55 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Hello laepelba! So, you are coming here! Where are you going to take the course? (the address or name of the institution) Where are you going to stay? It's a wonderful opportunity for you, and you know you can count on me for anything. (Hmm, is this well said?) About the weather, the normal thing in winter is near 4-10 centigrades in the morning, then 14 - 18 centigrades, or something like that, without wind and not dry (windy and humid).

PD: poli, witch zone have you liked the most? (?)
Quote:

The real beauty of Argentina is its provinces, there you've almost all kinds of weathers and landscapes, but for that you need a lot more time. For example, two weeks ago I went to Iguazú waterfalls, and that's an unforgettable place.

laepelba, I know UB by name and by some friends that go there, but not much more than that. Here the majority of people (even rich ones) goes to public universities, that are completely for free. (UBA, that is only in Capital Federal, has more than 25% of all the students of the country) From my friends, UB seems like a very good university. If I had to study in a private university, it would be an important option.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the corrections
Old April 13, 2010, 05:13 AM
Diamond

By the way, I didn't answer your question about where I'm going to stay. The program that I'm participating in (through a local university here in the DC area) arranges for home stays with local families (walking distance to Belgrano). What is that neighborhood/section of the city like?
Old April 13, 2010, 06:20 AM

Belgrano is a densely populated newer neighborhood at a far end of Buenos Aires. There's lots of stores, plenty of restaurants and it has Chinese community.
The neighborhood has a subte (subway) stop. It takes a little more than a hakf an hour to get to the center of town.

Last edited by poli; April 13, 2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:55 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Belgrano is a densely populated newer neighborhood at a far end of Buenos Aires. There's lots of stores, plenty of restaurants and it has Chinese community.
The neighborhood has a subte (subway) stop. It takes a little more than a hakf an hour to get to the center of town.
Thanks, Poli! This information is most helpful!!
Old April 13, 2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:

The really beauty of Argentina is on the provinces, there you've almost all kinds of weathers and landscapes, but for that you need a lot more time. For example, two weeks ago I went to Iguazú waterfalls, and that's an unforgetable place.

laepelba, I know UB by name and by some friends that go there, but not much more than that. Here the mayority of people (even rich ones) goes to public universitys, that are completely free. (UBA, that is only in Capital Federal, has more than 25% of all the students of the country) From my friends UB seems like a very good university. If I had to study in a private university, it would be an important option.
Todos los argentinos que me hablaron de su pais dice lo mismo. Las provincias son muy especiales. Me dicen que el sur es muy especial y las fotos que habían de Patagonia no me dicen que no. Una vez cogí (sé que en Argentina coger no es el verbo mejor en este contexto pero verdaderamente no conozco otro verbo más acceptable) un tren a Tigre, y el rio alli parece verdaderamente sudamericano. Eso fue mi gran viaje afuera de BA.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: