Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Translate to English please...

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old April 29, 2020, 10:38 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Waitforme is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking the time to explain, I think I understand what you are meaning.

one last thought – if we now take this out of the Social Media context totally

and assume Anne typed the text herself as an SMS to another Spanish friend

and added the words ‘Le encanta’ followed by my original text in quotation marks:

Le encanta "Thank you Anne - like yours, it was a nice but also a very different birthday. Look after yourself, stay safe and have a Happy Easter!"

– in this scenario/context what do you think she could possibly be trying to say about my original text message.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 29, 2020, 12:08 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
If Anne added "Le encanta", put quotation marks around your original text message, and sent it to another person, the Spanish opening would be asking the recipient if they like/love the message, but it would be poorly written because there are no opening and closing question marks. I don't think it happened that way, do you?

Perhaps you should just ask Anne why you got this message.
Old April 29, 2020, 12:21 PM
Opal

Thanks…

I did text Anne at the time– but didn’t get a reply back (wonder if she is embarrassed) …which is when I thought I would try and google it to try and work it out.

May be there was a previous message to that one – which did go to the correct person…and this one came to me in error

From all I read on various online translators and example sentances, I thought ‘Le encanta’ meant things like: ‘she loves’, ‘he loves’, ‘he loves it’

So not sure what to make of it all…please do let me know if you any more thoughts.
Old April 29, 2020, 12:32 PM
Señor Speedy

Correct translations for third-person address. I haven't included a subject pronoun because none existed in the opening remark.
The opening remark, because it wasn't formulated as a question, was most likely a computer-generated notification rather than something a person would write to another individual.
Old April 29, 2020, 12:46 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Correct translations for third-person address. I haven't included a subject pronoun because none existed in the opening remark.
The opening remark, because it wasn't formulated as a question, was most likely a computer-generated notification rather than something a person would write to another individual.
ok, thanks..I didnt quite understand the first part of your post so will try and read again later - i'm not very famliar with the terms like pronoun etc (but happy to learn)

I guess my main concern (and reason for opening this thread) was - to work out if anything bad was being said about my original text....
Old April 30, 2020, 07:32 AM
Opal

I read the whole thread again last night and just had a couple of thoughts I wanted to ask your opinion on to help my learning please.

And I apologise first, if I am just not grasping what you have previously said.

I see why you think its most probably computer generated, but a couple of things then raised more questions in my mind

Firstly, I don’t use any form of social media at all

Second, my text to Anne and her reply were using normal/standard text messages and not on any SM

So, I was wondering how my text would have got on SM (unless Anne was sharing it with someone on her SM),

but even if that were the case – how or why would I have got a text notification from her SM that she liked/someone else liked my text – so just a bit confused as to why/how I would receive the notification via text.

When I first received the message and used a couple of online translations – I thought Anne was trying to say to her friend that ‘He loves Easter’ or ‘He loves’ something else from within my original message. But based on your explanation on how the actual Spanish language works, I think I would be wrong to think that.

Look forward to your thoughts when you get time…thanks again (and sorry if I am not being too clever).
Old April 30, 2020, 07:52 AM
Señor Speedy

I know nothing more than you, my friend, as to what really happened.
The translation you found all by yourself is correct. It is what someone would say to someone else, expressing that (he/she) loves something. The something that was liked a lot was the message you sent to Anne, enclosed in quotation marks.
That's it.
I tried a couple of scenarios in my mind, but ultimately you'll need to ask Anne what happened.
Old April 30, 2020, 08:20 AM
Opal

Thanks Rusty, I hear you - hopefully when/if Anne replies all will become clear....but it has been fun learning something new.

Hopefully my final question for you, where you say 'expressing that (he/she) loves something'

Am I correct in that the 'he/she' in this scenario would then be me and not Anne....

but then to me her saying to someone that 'He likes his text' seems a bit odd too.

Thanks again.
Old April 30, 2020, 09:12 AM
Señor Speedy

It would be Anne that likes/loves the text in quotation marks.

Under the covers the Spanish phrase means "someone loves something" (here, 'love' means 'taking delight in something' - do not confuse this with affection). The "someone" isn't provided (there is no person mentioned). The "something" is your message.
Here is the Spanish phrase model (the model is not conjugated, and must be in order to convey meaning): encantarle algo a alguien

No one would compose the SMS text you received. That's why I believe it was computer-generated. It isn't the way a native speaker would write.

The conjugated phrase that you received (which doesn't contain all of the components of the model):
le = (to) someone (the word 'le' stands in for, or represents, the person indirectly liking the "something" - 'le' was tacked onto the end of 'encantar' in the model, but when the phrase is conjugated, it is moved prior to the verb)
encanta = loves (likes a great deal - delights in)
algo = something (that something is provided in your text (enclosed in quotation marks))

Missing from your text:
a alguien = (to) someone (this is where "a Anne", or "a ella" could have appeared) (This missing part could have preceded 'le' or followed the verb, prior to or following the 'algo' part of the message. It's not a requirement to have this missing piece, especially when both involved in the conversation know who is indirectly affected by the "something".) (It's also not a requirement to specify the "something" part. In English we have to say "it". That little word isn't used in Spanish (not in this case, at least). So, 'le encanta', all by itself, is translated into English as 'Someone loves it'.)

I hope this information helps.

Last edited by Rusty; April 30, 2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old May 01, 2020, 07:39 AM
Opal

Thank you Rusty - for your patience and time in explaining it to a novice. I have read your last post a few times and think I am getting there.

I now have a desire to learn a bit more.

I think what you are saying is

a) If the message was computer generated it means ‘Anne Liked it’ – as in Anne liked the sentiment of my text message.

b) If Anne had typed the message herself (‘Le encanta’ followed by my text in quotation marks) – whilst grammatically incorrect, it means ‘Anne likes it’ – as in Anne likes the sentiment of my text

So in either case a or b - it has a nice meaning about my text – would you agree?

Where I get a bit lost is here:

Previously, before I posted on this forum - I had looked at links like this: https://context.reverso.net/translat...ish/Le+encanta

Which gave me examples like:

Le encanta comer melón y le encanta pintar. He loves to eat melon and he loves to paint.

Le encanta hablar de cosas técnicas. He loves to talk about technical stuff, particularly rendezvous.

Le encanta cada minuto de ello. He loves every minute of it.

Le encanta trabajar en la casa. He loves working on the house.

Le encanta, es su show favorito. He loves it, it's his favorite show.

Le encanta Pedro y el lobo. He just loves Peter and the Wolf.

Which is what made me think Anne is telling her friend that it’s me who likes something within my own text, whether it be Easter or my birthday etc. and so I thought Anne is quoting my message and saying to her friend ‘he loves it’

Could you please explain what the difference is between a), b) - and what the context.reverso site is translating to, as it looks like I am still missing some nuance of the language.

Thanks again.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: