Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Nitpicky questions about an exercise

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old May 31, 2010, 05:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Nitpicky questions about an exercise

I have some sentences that I was translating and have some nit-picky questions about a couple of them...

1) English: Lina gets angry when she works too much.
Spanish: Lina se pone brava cuando trabaja mucho.
Two questions:
- I used the word "enojada" (I had never heard "bravo/a" used as "anger" before). My dictionary says that "bravo/a" is a Latin American usage. Is it the more common way of expressing anger in Latin America?
NOTE: There was also a sentence that was supposed to be "Do not get angry!" and the book translated it as "¡No te pongas bravo!", thus leaving me with the same question.
- I originally said "cuando trabaja demasiado". Would this also be correct? If not, when is "demasiado" used and when is it better to use "mucho"?

3) English: People become crazy when there is a party.
Spanish: La gente se vuelve loca cuando hay fiesta.
My question:
- I have such a problem figuring out when to use an article and when not to. When I translated this, I wrote "una fiesta". Ugh! Why is there not an article here?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I have some sentences that I was translating and have some nit-picky questions about a couple of them...

Two questions:
- I used the word "enojada" (I had never heard "bravo/a" used as "anger" before). My dictionary says that "bravo/a" is a Latin American usage. Is it the more common way of expressing anger in Latin America?
NOTE: There was also a sentence that was supposed to be "Do not get angry!" and the book translated it as "¡No te pongas bravo!", thus leaving me with the same question.
- I originally said "cuando trabaja demasiado". Would this also be correct? If not, when is "demasiado" used and when is it better to use "mucho"?

My question:
- I have such a problem figuring out when to use an article and when not to. When I translated this, I wrote "una fiesta". Ugh! Why is there not an article here?
This how I use all this, así que no te enojes.

Lina gets angry when she works too much = Lina se enoja cuando trabaja mucho/demasiado. (correct)

Lina gets angry when she works too much = Line se pone/vuelve enojona cuando trabaja mucho. (colloquial)

People become crazy when there is a party. = La gente se vuelve loca cuando hay (una) fiesta

Cualquiera de las dos está bien. Con "una" o no.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post

Two questions:

My question:
Hello.

I liked so much this translation, the word Brava is mostly used in my country.

He gets angry when loss money in the bus.
El se pone bravo cuando pierde dinero en el autobus.

Suggests above.

Take care.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:41 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
This how I use all this, así que no te enojes. <-- This is the "vos" conjugation, right?

Lina gets angry when she works too much = Lina se enoja cuando trabaja mucho/demasiado. (correct)

Lina gets angry when she works too much = Line se pone/vuelve enojona cuando trabaja mucho. (colloquial)

People become crazy when there is a party. = La gente se vuelve loca cuando hay (una) fiesta

Cualquiera de las dos está bien. Con "una" o no.
Okay, so in Chile you're saying that they don't really use "bravo/a"? The exercise was about ponerse/volverse/hacerse, so "se enoja" would have been incorrect.

Which part is colloquial? The "mucho" instead of "demasiado"? Or the "se pone/vuelve"?

Thanks, Crotalito, for the comment about using "bravo/a" in Mexico.

Other parts of Latin America? Do they use "enojado/a" or "bravo/a"?
Old May 31, 2010, 09:49 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Both enojado and bravo are used in Central America. Enfadado is also used.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:55 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
The word Enfadado sound more polite than bravo.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
Pearl

wafflestomp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Both enojado and bravo are used in Central America. Enfadado is also used.
I've heard enfadado a lot in songs from Latin America. I'd say it's more popular than enojado.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:04 AM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I heard it used a lot; that's why I mentioned it.

@Lou Ann: no te enojes is the negative imperative of enojarse. There are lots of verbs that have the 'become + adjective' meaning built into them. Hernán just introduced you to 'to become angry'.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:53 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Here we don't use bravo in that sense. We only use enojado. (bravo would be for a "macho" or "wild" caracteristic of something, as "un caballo bravo"). Enfadado is not either used. (is this ok?)

We use a lot "calentar" to say that someone is angry, but is very colloquial, and it has to be use with care for foreigners because it can have sexual connotations. But we use it a loooot more than "enojar":

"I get angry when he talks to me like that" "Me calienta/enoja que me hable así/de esa manera"
"¡No te enojes!" "¡No te calientes!" (I have to point out here, that we usually use for vos another conjugation that is not in RAE, maybe a deformation because of the big use we do of this kind of expressions with calentar: "calentés" instead of "calientes": ¡No te calentés!)
"Estoy re caliente por lo que hizo fulanito" "I'm very angry because of what fulanito has made".
I've to say this again: is very colloquial and in written language it doesn't sound too nice.

In this case, you can choose to use "una" or not, but I think that is widely more common to use the article in this specific situation.

*** the vos imperative conjugation of enojar is "enojés" in Argentina.

Last edited by ookami; May 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:03 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Here we don't use bravo in that sense. We only use enojado. (bravo would be for a "macho" or "wild" caracteristic of something, as "un caballo bravo"). Enfadado is not either used used either. (is this ok?)

We use a lot "calentar" a lot to say that someone is angry, but it is very coloquiall, and it has to be used with care for foreigners because it can have sexual connotations. But we use it a loooot more than "enojar":

"I get angry when he talks to me like that" "Me calienta/enoja que me hable así/de esa manera"
"¡No te enojes!" "¡No te calientes!" (I have to point out here, that we usually use for vos, another conjugation that is not in RAE, maybe a deformation because of the big use we do of (would sound better to say "how much we use") this kind of expressions with calentar: "calentés" instead of "calientes": ¡No te calentés!)

In this case, you can choose to use "una" or not, but I think that is widely more common to use the article in this specific situation.
Thanks, Ookami, especially in light of my upcoming travels. I think I'll stay away from "calentar" for now.

By the way - I thought that "vos" conjugations are in the RAE. If you click on the blue "conjugar" button next to the main word at the top of a page about a verb you get the conjugation page, and next to the 2nd person verbs there are two conjugations. I thought those were the vos conjugations. Are they not? If not, then what are they?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: