Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Question about reflexive verbs and pronouns

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old November 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Inglés
funkcanna is on a distinguished road
Question about reflexive verbs and pronouns

Hello all, I have a question

Ok, I know that there are normal verbs and reflexive verbs, I will use Lavar (to wash) and Lavarse (to wash oneself). There are 3 parts to my question:

1. Can only reflexive verbs be reflexive? This sounds obvious but there are alot of verbs which you can do to yourself, but I cant find reflexive alternatives in my dictionary.
  2. What if I wanted to say I was doing the verb to someone else? For example, "I dont want you". So here the subject of the verb is "you" but I am doing the action "not wanting". So can I say "No te quiero"? LIkewise with other things such as "I buy it" - would that be "Lo Compro" or "Comprarlo"? "I eat it" would that be "lo como"? I assume in all of these cases I just use the direct object pronoun and the conjugated verb? How do I know if I should put the pronoun on the end of the verb or before? I.e. Ayudarte (I help you)
  3. Basically I want to know when to use a reflexive verb or use the direct object pronoun. But I guess spelling wise it would make no difference and all would use the same pronoun anyway...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
This answer applies to both questions 1 and 2.
A pronoun is suffixed to an infinitive, but precedes a conjugated verb. (At times, these rules are loosened up a bit.) When used with a gerundio, the pronoun can precede or be suffixed to the structure.

The reflexive verb is a subset of the pronominal verbs. All pronominals have the clitic 'se' suffixed to the end of the infinitive. When conjugated, the clitic (pronoun) precedes the verb.

lavarse
me lavo, te lavas, se lava, nos lavamos, os laváis, se lavan
me lavé, etc.; me lavaba, etc.; me lavaré, etc.; me he lavado, etc.
me estoy lavando
estoy lavándome
quiero lavarme

Your second question is talking about direct objects (or indirect objects, as the case may be).
lo como = I eat it (something masculine) -or- I'm eating it
la como = I eat it (something feminine)
lo compro = I buy it -or- I'm buying it
te lo compro = I'm buying it for you
te quiero = I love you
nos quieres = you love us
te ayudo = I help you
ayudarte = to help you

The reflexive pronouns are not exactly the same as the pronouns used for direct objects. Nor are direct object pronouns the same as the pronouns used for indirect objects. Some are the same, but the pronouns in the third person vary.
There are many web sites that show the Spanish pronouns in tabular format. Check them out.

Last edited by Rusty; November 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old November 11, 2010, 06:33 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
This kind of topics are better dealt in a web forum by asking a few aspects departing from examples or specific doubts. Don't hesitate in asking here the same topic many times, chunk by chunk.

About pronominal verbs, you'll find different entries when there are different meanings, for instance, "ir" (go), "irse" (leave). When the meaning is the same but you can perform the action on yourself, you'll find a note on that (in Spanish dictionaries U.t.c.prnl. -Also used as a pronominal verb-), for instance, "lavar, caer", which includes "lavarse, caerse". Sometimes a verb has a group of usual meanings but its pronominal use refer to a new meaning, for example, "consumir" (consume, use, buy) and "consumir (prnl)" (waste away).
Old November 13, 2010, 03:42 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Inglés
funkcanna is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: