Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

Multiple Languages

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old April 29, 2010, 03:28 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
Multiple Languages

¡Hola a todos!

He decidido estudiar tres idiomas simultáneamente. Estudiaré cada idioma uno hora por día. La primera idioma es español, esto es obvio. La segunda idioma es francés porque es la segunda idioma oficial de mi país. La tercera idioma es latino. He elegido latino porque yo deseo entender mejor la taxonomía científica, lenguaje jurídico, y más. También, he querido siempre aprender latino.

Mi pregunta para todos es esto: ¿Qué pienses en estudiar idiomas múltiples simultáneamente?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Everyone,

I have decided to study three languages simultaneously, each for one hour per day. The first is Spanish, obviously. The second is French, because it is the second official language of my country. The third is Latin, which I have chosen so that I may better understand scientific taxonomy, legal terms, and more. Also, I have always wanted to learn Latin.

My question for all of you is this: What do you think of the idea of studying multiple languages simultaneously?

P.S. As usual corrections of my Spanish (or English for that matter) are welcome and very much appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 29, 2010, 04:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarential View Post
¡Mi pregunta para todos es esto: ¿Qué pienses en estudiar idiomas múltiples simultáneamente?
This depends on your age, I think. It also depends on the similarities between the languages. I myself would find studying French and Spanish together very confusing, but then at my age, everything is confusing.

Studying classical Latin will help you with French, but not much with Spanish vocabulary, which derives from vulgar Latin. This would be another source of confusion for me.

However, I guess that studying the grammar of Latin will really help with both French and Spanish grammar, and especially with verb conjugations in both languages. I wish you luck.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:12 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Good luck
Old April 29, 2010, 05:49 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Studying Latin doesn't make much practical sense unless you are interested in getting into Catholic heirarchy where knowledge
of Latin may be needed. Otherwise the Latin found in Romance Languages
may be all you may need for the "professions".
Knowledge of Spanish will open you up to the Americas, and I assume fluent knowlege of Canadian French may help you land a job in Quebec.
Incidentally good knowlege of traditional French in the U.S. will help get
you connected to a francophone community. In New York, French speakers are usually the 3 W's: well traveled, well educated, well heeled--not the worst people to associate with.

Have a look at this link and pay attention to the third stanza
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/ladyi...agaofjenny.htm
You know yourself, but for the majority of us, learning many languages a once is biting off more than one can chew.
Old April 29, 2010, 06:21 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Latin is good for those scientific names for animals. my brother loves animals and he really likes Rome and all that
Old April 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
I studied French, Latin, and Spanish simultaneously for three years, but I didn't start them at the same time. (I studied French in school years 1-5, Latin in years 2-5, and Spanish in years 3-7).

For the most part I managed to keep them separate.
Old April 29, 2010, 12:57 PM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Particularmente considero mejor que te centres en español y francés. Cuando consideres que tienes las bases de estos dos idiomas y no puedas aprender a un ritmo rápido, podrás empezar con el latín.
El latín es básicamente un idioma escrito, por lo que la metodología y el ritmo de avance es menor.
Saludos
Old April 29, 2010, 04:36 PM
Ruby

Tarential is on a distinguished road
Gracias a todos por tus contestaciones. No estoy estudiando el latín por razones prácticas; mi interés es académico. Una pregunta, por favor. ¿En español, la idioma es escrito latín o latino? Si es latín, me disculpo por mi error. He mucho a aprender.

Thank you all for your replies. I am not really studying Latin for practical reasons; my interest is academic. A question, though. Am I correct in assuming I have used the wrong form of Latin for the language (ie latín vs latino)? More specifically, am I correct in assuming that the former applies to the language while the latter applies as an adjective? If so I apologize for this mistake. I have still much to learn.
Old April 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Tarential: el idioma (it's a masculine noun)

And "Latin", for the language is "latín"; for the adjective it's "latino(a)".
Old April 30, 2010, 12:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Learning Latin is like learning maths. There is a lot of difference between learning a dead language or a living one. With living languages you'll learn not only grammar, but present-day matters, but with Latin you'll learn grammar and surely soon you'll translate from Latin to English.

I studied Latin, Greek, French, English and, of course, Spanish grammar at the same time and I had no problem. Anyway, as Perikles said, I was a teenager then.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: