Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Airport Scanners - Cochlear Implant User

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 17, 2017, 04:25 AM
Opal

carlmorris1977 is on a distinguished road
Airport Scanners - Cochlear Implant User

Hi everyone,

I am really hoping you can help me.

Basically, I am deaf and use a cochlear implant which means I cannot go through airport scanners as it scrambles the map and may leave me unable to hear.

I am travelling to Bolivia, Brazil, Chile and Argentine and will be using a lot of connecting flights and I know I will encounter problems, especially since many of them won't know what a cochlear implant is.

I have a letter from the Auditory department which explains why I cannot go through but this is in English.

I am petrified of being forced to go through and thus potentially losing my hearing.

Would someone be as kind please as to translate the following;

Many sincere thanks in advance..
Carl
___

Carl has a Cochlear Implant.

This is a special type of hearing aid for severe to profoundly deaf adults and children.

A cochlear implant has both external and internal parts. The external parts consist of a speech processor, microphone and transmitter coil. The internal part is implanted in the mastoid bone behind the ear and then leads to the cochlea.

The security system at airports produces magnetic fields, which can damage the speech processor. It should, therefore, be passed round the outside of the system.

The internal parts of the implant may activate the alarm so the person or child should be checked using the hand scan.

During the flight the speech processor should be turned off for take off and landing while the plane has the "Fasten Seatbelts" sign illuminated.

Please refer to the Identity Card for further information or contact the Yorkshire Auditory Implant Service, Telephone No: 01274 364853.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: