Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

English - Portuguese or Spanish translation

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old September 01, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Portuguese
jan is on a distinguished road
English - Portuguese or Spanish translation

Hi!
Several members have taken a look, but nobody wanted to help me...
I'll be looking for your comments.
Thanks
Jan

Hi!
I'm working on a English - Portuguese translation.Could you please help me to find a good translation for those below hilighted words? If nobody knows Portuguese, I believe that a spanish translation would be helpful.
Thank you!
Regards
Jan

Rmk: I learn English.Sorry for any mistakes.

"Information disclosed to receiving party that is specific shall not be deemed to be within any of the exceptions of Paragraph 4 merely because it is embraced by more general information that is in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public. Any combination of features disclosed to receiving party shall not be deemed to be within the exceptions merely because individual features thereof are separately in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public".

a) receiving party acknowledges that the samples are of a developmental nature and that the disclosing party makes no representation, express or implied, that the samples will be supplied on a commercial basis;

b)receiving party shall not analyze the samples for chemical composition, or cause to have them analyzed for chemical composition
Shall the receiving party not anlyse the samples by itself nor have them analyzed by others? is it the point?

Last edited by jan; September 02, 2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: No coments up to now!Please....!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 05, 2011, 02:30 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
I'll try but it's very difficult legal jargon. At least it will give you an idea and give someone else the chance to correct me!

Any combination of features = cualquiera combinación de asuntos

Indivdual features = asuntos individuales

Makes no representation = no hace representación ninguna

Receveiving party shall not analyze = Recipiente no hace ningun análisis

Have them analyzed = Permitir algun análisis

It must be remembered that this is legal jargon, written by lawyers and only meant to be understood by lawyers. They say it's wholly unambiguous English, but it isn't - it's just the way the legal profession keeps itself in highly lucrative employment!

Não escrevo bem o portugués! Mas em este assunto é mais ou menos igual!

Last edited by Rusty; September 05, 2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: merged
Old September 05, 2011, 02:41 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Hi!
Several members have taken a look, but nobody wanted to help me...
I'll be looking for your comments.
Thanks
Jan

Hi!
I'm working on a English - Portuguese translation.Could you please help me to find a good translation for those below hilighted words? If nobody knows Portuguese, I believe that a spanish translation would be helpful.
Thank you!
Regards
Jan

Rmk: I learn English.Sorry for any mistakes.

"Information disclosed to receiving party that is specific shall not be deemed to be within any of the exceptions of Paragraph 4 merely because it is embraced by more general information that is in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public. Any combination of features disclosed to receiving party shall not be deemed to be within the exceptions merely because individual features thereof are separately in receiving party’s possession or generally available to the public".

a) receiving party acknowledges that the samples are of a developmental nature and that the disclosing party makes no representation, express or implied, that the samples will be supplied on a commercial basis;

b)receiving party shall not analyze the samples for chemical composition, or cause to have them analyzed for chemical composition
Shall the receiving party not anlyse the samples by itself nor have them analyzed by others? is it the point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panther View Post
I'll try but it's very difficult legal jargon. At least it will give you an idea and give someone else the chance to correct me!

Any combination of features = cualquiera combinación de asuntos/caraterísticas

Indivdual features = asuntos/caraterísticas individuales

Makes no representation = no hace representación ninguna/no representa

Receveiving party shall not analyze = Los Recipientes no deberan analizar

Have them analyzed = hacerlos analizar

It must be remembered that this is legal jargon, written by lawyers and only meant to be understood by lawyers. They say it's wholly unambiguous English, but it isn't - it's just the way the legal profession keeps itself in highly lucrative employment!
Nah! I would say it is the legal way for them to do what otherwise would be illegal for the rest of the population.
Old September 05, 2011, 05:16 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Estoy de acuerdo con "características" por "features".
"Asunto" es más sinónimo de "tema", "negocio", "caso"...

"Cualquiera combinación de características"

Quote:
Los recipientes no deberán analizar
Creo que "destinatarios" o "receptores" se comprendería mejor.
En México, un "recipiente" es un contenedor o un utensilio para guardar cosas.
Old September 05, 2011, 06:09 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
makes no representation = no hace ninguna declaración | representación

Last edited by Rusty; September 05, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old September 06, 2011, 02:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Yes. You can't get someone else to analyse them and then say "The contract only prevents me analysing them".
Old September 08, 2011, 10:25 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Any combination of features = cualquiera combinación de asuntos/características

Indivdual features = asuntos/características individuales
Sorry I have to disagree with that Chileno, there are several definitions of "Features" in both English and Spanish; but the translation as "Caraterísticas" in this context of a legal document is, I think misleading. A more accurate translation would be "Particulares" I would say, i.e. "Cualquiera combinación de particulares" and "Particulares individuales".

Basically the whole document is written in very abstruse English, intentionally devised to confuse in my opinion.

Last edited by Sancho Panther; September 10, 2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old September 09, 2011, 08:04 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Sorry I have to disagree with that Chileno, there are several definitions of "Features" in both English and Spanish; but the translation as "Caraterísticas" in this context of a legal document is, I think misleading. A more accurate translation would be "Particulares" I would say, i.e. "Cualquiera combinación de particulares" and "Particulares individuales".

Basically the whole document is written in very abstruse English, intentionally devised to confuse in my opinion.
I understand. In your case the first would fit nicely, but the second not. So I decided to level it with características (I made the mistake first) on both.
Old September 10, 2011, 04:53 AM
Emerald

'Particulares individuales' is fine - it refers to several individual (seperate) features as opposed to groups (combinaciones) of features.
Old September 10, 2011, 08:27 AM
Diamond

Quote:
'Particulares individuales' is fine - it refers to several individual (separate) features as opposed to groups (combinaciones) of features.
Correct. But not in context to what the OP wanted to know.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: