Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

What're some good young-adult fiction ("Literatura juvenil") books in Spanish?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old November 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
Opal

Native Language: English. I actually speak it pretty good.
droe82 is on a distinguished road
What're some good young-adult fiction ("Literatura juvenil") books in Spanish?

You know what I mean? Like, if you go into libraries--or at least most public libraries in the U.S.--there's a childrens' section, a sort of just-plain-books section, and then kind of a mid-level section for, like... teenagers. The "Young-adult fiction" page in the English Wikipedia links to the "Literatura juvenil" one in Spanish for whatever that's worth.

Like... um... they don't have to be as girly and crappy as, like, Twilight, but y'know. I'd prefer they be written in Spanish and not just translated from English, just 'cause.

(Es broma. ¿Sí? ¿Sí? Sí. Soy muy gracioso. )

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by droe82 View Post
You know what I mean? Like, if you go into libraries--or at least most public libraries in the U.S.--there's a childrens' section, a sort of just-plain-books section, and then kind of a mid-level section for, like... teenagers. The "Young-adult fiction" page in the English Wikipedia links to the "Literatura juvenil" one in Spanish for whatever that's worth.

Like... um... they don't have to be as girly and crappy as, like, Twilight, but y'know. I'd prefer they be written in Spanish and not just translated from English, just 'cause.

If it is an English author, then fat chance it won't be translated from English.

You better get Spanish authors.

Nothing like the original, be it English or Spanish.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:28 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I agree with Chileno, but there are good translations for all the "Classics" on these lists, so if you have read a good book in English, and take its Spanish translation, I don't think you have much to lose...

When I was 12 or so I read "Muerte en las nubes" ("Death in the Clouds" or "Death in the Air") in Spanish... and the English version just happen to fall in my hands... so I'll read the story, even if I know it, but just to practice English...
Old November 22, 2010, 09:05 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
I agree with Chileno, but there are good translations for all the "Classics" on these lists, so if you have read a good book in English, and take its Spanish translation, I don't think you have much to lose...

When I was 12 or so I read "Muerte en las nubes" ("Death in the Clouds" or "Death in the Air") in Spanish... and the English version just happen to fall in my hands... so I'll read the story, even if I know it, but just to practice English...
Of course, but nothing like the original...
Old November 22, 2010, 09:15 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
But of course!
Old November 23, 2010, 09:33 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
maravilloso is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you want books in English or Spanish, but El Bosque de los Pigmeos by Isabel Allende is a pretty good book. I am sure you can find an English version. Anything by Gabriel García Máquez is good as well.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:21 PM
Opal

Location: Just moved back to Nevada from Argentina and Chile, not sure where we're headed next!
Native Language: English
JenPeck is on a distinguished road
YA Fiction

I realize that it's best to choose books written in Spanish originally, but I had a great experience (and learned a ton of vocabulary) reading The Golden Compass (or La Brújula Dorada) by Philip Pullman. Personally I find that, while I LOVE GG Marquez, that in Spanish his words and use of language are SO poetic (and gorgeous, love it) that it's not really good reading for learning phrases and words to use in daily life. YMMV!
Old February 22, 2013, 10:16 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPeck View Post
I realize that it's best to choose books written in Spanish originally, but I had a great experience (and learned a ton of vocabulary) reading The Golden Compass (or La Brújula Dorada) by Philip Pullman. Personally I find that, while I LOVE GG Marquez, that in Spanish his words and use of language are SO poetic (and gorgeous, love it) that it's not really good reading for learning phrases and words to use in daily life. YMMV!
Correct.

In any event, if you were to pick and English author that more or less is the equivalent of GG Marquez, most likely he would use English that is not used in the daily life of anyone either.

Old February 26, 2013, 09:23 PM
Ruby

Queli is on a distinguished road
The Lola Lago detective series is good--
https://www.eurobooks.co.uk/language.../m4/c21/6/LLDE

So is the Manolito Gafotas series--I heard it called the "Wimpy Kid" series of Spain although it is not fair to compare it exactly since it is unique. But it does have that age appeal and fun to it--
http://www.clubmanolitogafotas.com/

Both series are written in Spanish, not translated.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
Opal

Sarita08 is on a distinguished road
I don't know about "young adult", but if you can handle it, Inés del Alma Mía by Isabel Allende is fantastic! Also, if you're feeling like reading more of a challenging text, I would suggest anything by Gabriel García Márquez -- Crónica de una Muerte Anunciada and El Amor en Los Tiempos de Cólera are great.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: