Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old May 11, 2010, 10:48 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.
Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.
"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."
The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.
"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.
The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."
"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."
But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.
"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."
As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'
"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."
The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:
The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.
The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

your views on this? I think it's stupid that they got kicked out like that.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
My question is, Galli wear all days, not only the five of may , an american flag and a bandana?

For me is ok, it's not necessary to make things hard. Other peaple you are living with are celebrating their pride's day, it's necessary to show them how you are dominating? it's just a little respect that is not hard to show.
This time it was a kid, but that blinded national feeling it's dangerous. But, obviously, if I'm leadering a country or a war, it's very useful, I'll win for sure with more people like Galli!

Now, letting all of this aside, for me, all kind of "pride" that is external to our owns actions(or inmediate society actions, that is influence by ours), is stupid, it's just trying to find something to fell identificated with, to escape (generally). And even this pride, our actions pride, is worth nothing, and can be as a broken mirror. The other day a friend told me he is pride of continuing fighting, another day, a friend told me he is pride of been alive. Another. is pride of his constancy. That's, for me, something that maybe you could call pride.
But yes, nationalism is necessary for a society to continue. Without Gallis would be difficult, Gallis are made, we are all day long been trying to be convert to a Galli, I'm proud of fighting all day long with it! (obviously, a child that is been socialize, can not expect to be something than a Galli, but can destroy that ache ilusion after that primary socialization)

"El orgullo engendra al tirano. El orgullo, cuando inútilmente ha llegado a acumular imprudencias y excesos, remontándose sobre el más alto pináculo, se precipita en un abismo de males, del que no hay posibilidad de salir"

"El hombre sólo pretende pretextos para vivir, es decir, elaborar una imagen de su orgullo."

"Qué orgullo descubrir que nada te pertenece: qué revelación. "
Nothing, even that beautiful land you love underneath your feets.

Last edited by ookami; May 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
My question is, Galli wear all days, not only the fifth of may , an American flag and a bandanna?

For me is ok, it's not necessary to make things hard. Other people you are living with are celebrating their pride's day, it's necessary to show them how you are dominating? it's just a little respect that is not hard to show.
This time it was a kid, but that blinded national feeling it's dangerous. But, obviously, if I'm leading a country or a war, it's very useful, I'll win for sure with more people like Galli!

Now, letting all of this aside, for me, all kind of "pride" that is external to our owns actions(or immediate society actions, that is influence by ours), is stupid, it's just trying to find something to feel identified with, to escape (generally). And even this pride, our actions of pride, is worth nothing, and can be as a broken mirror. The other day a friend told me he is pride of continuing fighting, another day, a friend told me he is proud of being alive. Another. is pride of his constancy. That's, for me, something that maybe you could call pride.
But yes, nationalism is necessary for a society to continue. Without Gallis would be difficult, Gallis are made, we are all day long been trying to be convert to a Galli, I'm proud of fighting all day long with it!

"El orgullo engendra al tirano. El orgullo, cuando inútilmente ha llegado a acumular imprudencias y excesos, remontándose sobre el más alto pináculo, se precipita en un abismo de males, del que no hay posibilidad de salir"

"El hombre sólo pretende pretextos para vivir, es decir, elaborar una imagen de su orgullo."

"Qué orgullo descubrir que nada te pertenece: qué revelación. "
Nothing, even that beautiful land you love underneath your feets.

There are more corrections, but i have to go...
Old May 11, 2010, 11:55 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
A ver: es un día para conmemorar una victoria contra los franceses en una guerra en la que EEUU se juntó al lado mexicano, y ¿llevar la bandera EEUUense ofende? Si llevaran la bandera francesa podría comprenderlo.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:58 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.
Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.
"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."
The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.
"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.
The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."
"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."
But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.
"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."
As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'
"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."
The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:
The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.
The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

your views on this? I think it's stupid that they got kicked out like that.
You don't see the stupid of the thread as you said before.
You see the opportunity to learn something else in your attempt about the Spanish, really if you wrote that text you did it well, you believe me.

I believe that the change that you've here with the learning each day in the website.

Good luck as Chileno said before.
You've made the best of your endeavor in the learning.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:00 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@pjt: El contexto es esencial para comprender la noticia.
Desde hace muchos años, ese día no es especialmente significativo en México, pero es una celebración que ha crecido mucho en importancia entre los latinos dentro de Estados Unidos. A nadie ahí le importa que se llevara a cabo una batalla contra el ejército francés.
Ahora bien, si se acaba de aprobar una ley violatoria de los derechos humanos, al permitir detener "sospechosos" sin previa comprobación de ser delincuentes, y en un día especialmente importante para una minoría de origen extranjero, el uso de una bandera estadounidense es, por decir lo menos, imprudente, a pesar de la libertad de expresión y todo lo demás.
No justifico a ningún bando, pero ni el uso de los colores estadounidenses ni la reacción de los latinos es gratuita.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; May 11, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:04 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I would never wear a t-shirt with the colours of a flag. That's unthinkable here.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
You don't see the stupid of the thread as you said before.
You see the opportunity to learn something else in your attempt about the Spanish, really if you wrote that text you did it well, you believe me.

I believe that the change that you've here with the learning each day in the website.

Good luck as Chileno said before.
You've made the best of your endeavor in the learning.
don't understand you. I don't have anything to do with this. I just think it's stupid that they got kicked off. This is America (where the high school is). not Mexico.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
Jason. is on a distinguished road
I agree with Jessica, this is very stupid
Old May 11, 2010, 04:23 PM

someone agrees with me. anyone else?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: