Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Terminología Médica

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old March 14, 2013, 08:51 PM
Opal

Sarita08 is on a distinguished road
Terminología Médica

Quiero aprender más vocabulario de terminología médica. ¿Alguien me puede sugerir unos métodos de aprender listas extensas de palabras?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Try 'flash cards'. Write each word on a small card with a translation on the back. Each day, take half a dozen cards and keep testing yourself until you know them. Tedious, but for specific vocabulary it can be effective. It works for some.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:35 AM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Try 'flash cards'. Write each word on a small card with a translation on the back. Each day, take half a dozen cards and keep testing yourself until you know them. Tedious, but for specific vocabulary it can be effective. It works for some.
I've been doing this with English and Spanish. I used a text data instead of flash cards, it's just a matter of preference.
It worked for me.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:43 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Ah man, that's what I was hoping to avoid. I guess there isn't much of a choice when it comes to this stuff. Fortunately, a great number of medical terms are cognates.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Get to medical web sites in both of the languages you are planning in translating from/to and compare terms in order to avoid false cognates, or at least to get as acquainted with the terms as you can.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Get to medical web sites in both of the languages you are planning in translating from/to and compare terms in order to avoid false cognates, or at least to get as acquainted with the terms as you can.
Hah! It seems pretty simple to do that, right? I didn't really think of using just plain old medical websites. I actually took a course in medical Spanish, but I didn't learn much more than I already knew. I begged a Puerto Rican friend of mine to send me some of his nursing books, but he said they're all in English. Ugh. I already have three medical Spanish books, but they're kind of weak because they are designed mostly for people who just want a basic understanding of how to talk to a patient and name basic conditions and body parts. I just ordered a more advanced book that has real medical terminology. I'm hoping that will work out better than the others.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:43 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita08 View Post
Hah! It seems pretty simple to do that, right? I didn't really think of using just plain old medical websites. I actually took a course in medical Spanish, but I didn't learn much more than I already knew. I begged a Puerto Rican friend of mine to send me some of his nursing books, but he said they're all in English. Ugh. I already have three medical Spanish books, but they're kind of weak because they are designed mostly for people who just want a basic understanding of how to talk to a patient and name basic conditions and body parts. I just ordered a more advanced book that has real medical terminology. I'm hoping that will work out better than the others.

For sure it will, especially if you are already familiar with them in another language.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
A mí sólo me funciona leer, leer y leer... cuanto me quede cerca sobre el tema del que necesito vocabulario. Es más fácil aprender en contexto que haciendo listas para memorizar.
Hay varios artículos sobre temas médicos en línea. Sugiero que elijas un tema/procedimiento/padecimiento/tratamiento y leas el material que está publicado sobre él.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:54 AM
Opal

Native Language: Spanish from Spain
Jorgese is on a distinguished road
Hay una aplicación buena de flash card para Android. Se llama Ankidroid

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: