Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

Ecuadoran soccer player Christian ‘Chucho’ Benitez dies at 27

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2013, 02:52 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Ecuadoran soccer player Christian ‘Chucho’ Benitez dies at 27

Afro-Ecuadorian soccer striker Christian "Chucho" Benitez died Monday at the age of only 27 of a heart attack. He played in Mexico too. Chucho is black so this for me brings up another subject for this cultural section.

I have had 4 girlfriends from Ecuador and I have always heard about Esmeralda, Ecuador on the coast of Ecuador where many Afro-Ecuadorians live. In fact where most of them live. One of my Ecuadorian girlfriends in fact was
black or mulata. It's just curious because when one thinks of Ecuador you think of Indians mixed with Spanish
people and not blacks. But Ecuador does have a large concentration of Afros. Out of a population of 13 million 1.2 million are black. And these are concentrated in one area on the coast in Esmeralda. So what does this mean as far
as culture goes? I have seen that they have a connection in music, dance and food to all the Afro-Hispanics in Colombia, Panama, Peru, Venezuela, Cuba, The Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and even Brazil that has the largest population of Blacks outside of Africa. Interesting for me since I like Salsa music Salsa dancing and have been to Cuba two times. Interesting to note too is that Peru the country right next to Ecuador has 2 million people of African origin. Here in California we have a Peruvian restaurant that has Afro-Peruvian dancers that preform while you eat Peruvian food.

Last edited by Villa; July 31, 2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Removed broken link.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: