Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

British English vs. American English

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old August 10, 2011, 11:47 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Inglés
funkcanna is on a distinguished road
I am originally from the North East of England. The dialect we speak there can literally be completely different in possibly 80% of the vocabulary in a given conversation to that elsewhere. Its an odd mix of Scottish/Yorkshire/English and even some Irish! Thats not even to mention our accent!

"Areet wor lad, yee gannin doon toon th'neet? A divvint kna. Aye nee bosh nowts a botha"

Obviously a lot of the words can be understood but coupled with our accents, a lot of other English speakers find it hard to understand us. I also find that the further south you go in England, the easier people are to understand and the more uniform their accents (excluding Cockneys!). In my experience, people from England have the largest variation of dialects amongst English speakers, but I am not familiar much with American dialects. However, I now live in the UAE and the Americans I know all seem to be very similar in regards to their vocabulary as opposed to the Brits I know.

Last edited by funkcanna; August 10, 2011 at 11:50 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 15, 2011, 10:43 AM
Pearl

Esperar is on a distinguished road
I don't think the differences are very big at all. They're very minor. I've never had any problems speaking with Americans. If you learn English English, or American English, you can speak to anyone who speaks in English.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:19 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperar View Post
I don't think the differences are very big at all. They're very minor. I've never had any problems speaking with Americans. If you learn English English, or American English, you can speak to anyone who speaks in English.
.... provided the speaker makes concessions for you. I have notices that some native speakers speaking amongst themselves can be very hard to understand to strangers. If you ever visit New Orleans, you will notice this.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
.... provided the speaker makes concessions for you. I have notices that some native speakers speaking amongst themselves can be very hard to understand to strangers. If you ever visit New Orleans, you will notice this.
I totally agree with you.

Old August 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
If you ever visit New Orleans, you will notice this.
Indeed. But General American English, and RP are quite intelligible, and all though they have some phonetic differences, they are very minor. Whenever I watch a show where the people use RP (or something close to it), after a few minutes, I stop even noticing that they are speaking with a different accent. It just sounds normal.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that the easiest accent in Spain to understand, are people from the Canarian islands, which is ironic, because a lot of people from Spain complain about the Canarians' accents. The s aspiration thing doesn't bother me at all anymore, because I've heard it so much from Latin Americans.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:53 PM
Diamond

Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
Interestingly enough, I noticed that the easiest accent in Spain to understand, are people from the Canarian islands, which is ironic, because a lot of people from Spain complain about the Canarians' accents. .
What ???? It's more of a speech defect than an accent. They just miss out all endings, some beginnings and some middles of words, making them sound demented. I have to try and live with it, and fail miserably.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
What ???? It's more of a speech defect than an accent. They just miss out all endings, some beginnings and some middles of words, making them sound demented. I have to try and live with it, and fail miserably.

I feel for you.

Old August 21, 2011, 10:12 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
It sounds very much like Caribbean Spanish.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Let's see. As far as I can gather, they often aspirate the s's (or change the vowel quality before the s) at the end of words. So, what? They do the same in Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, etc. All you have to do is mentally re-add the s's, which I have to do anyway when I listen to Spanish from most parts of South America.
They elide the -d-, just like they do in Chile and other countries.
-They have seseo, like all dialects of Spanish in the world, except for part of Spain.
-They elide -r- in parece, quieres, padre, and madre (which can be heard in other places too like Andalusia)
-They drop some final consonants, which happens in lots of other countries in Latin America.
-Some pronounce ch as sh. They do that in Chile, and several other countries.
-Some l's and r's are interchanged.
-They soften their j sound.
-The vocabulary and grammar are much like Latin American varieties.

The most noticeable difference between a Canarian Spanish and a "Latin American neutral" (basically the Mexicans-speaking-more-carefully) accent, is the -s at the ends of words, either being pronounced like h, or the vowel quality changing to indicate the s being elided. The other features really aren't as frequent.

It's pretty much like a lot of Latin American accents. It sounds a lot more familiar to me than in places with distinción or ceceo, which give me pause, as I have to mentally transpose all voiceless th sounds as s's. Canarian Spanish sounds awfully smooth. Even when they speak fast, it's usually not very difficult to understand it.

I really don't see why people think it is so difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post

I feel for you.

Hmm. You're one to talk. Understanding Chilenos is a lot harder. Most Chilenos I've heard also aspirate their s's too, elide intervocalic -d-, which are pretty much the most salient differences between pronouncing Spanish as spelt, and a Canarian accent. However Chileans also have the Chilean voseo, and a ton of slang words that I can't understand peppered into every conversation. I even have trouble reading Chilean forums on the internet, much moreso than Argentine ones, Mexican ones, Venezuelan ones, etc.

Quote:
It's probably because you're used to the Castillian accent. But really, it's no harder than understanding Carribean Spanish, and Spanish in much of Central and South America, because they share many of those features.

Last edited by Caballero; August 22, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old August 22, 2011, 11:22 AM
Diamond

Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
Let's see. As far as I can gather, they often aspirate the s's (or change the vowel quality before the s) at the end of words. So, what? .
Call me conservative if you like, but this leads to confusion which I can't cope with. For a start it effectively removes any difference between 2nd and 3rd person singular (or 2nd formal) present in verbs. Manageable on its own, perhaps, but combined with other omissions, such as not bothering to close the mouth when attempting an 'm', in fact not bothering to move any facial muscles at all when speaking, you get the TV news reported pronouncing más o menos as a-o-en-o.

The perfect tense is never used, and I have yet to hear any moods other than indicative and imperative. I could go on ....The fact is that a fluent speaker might well find it easy to understand, but a learner is struggling like a Spaniard would who tries to learn English on the Outer Hebrides or Glasgow.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: