Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Is it normal for Spanish teachers to not teach Vosotros?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old May 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about the way one writes pronunciation, but what is pronounced like an "ssssssss...." (like a snake) in Latin America seems to be sometimes pronounced like a "th" sound in Spain. Right?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperar View Post
Apart from one or two minor spelling differences, I am not aware of any differences betweem AmE, and BrE. Maybe someone can correct me?
"I'm just off to smoke a fag."
Old May 28, 2010, 02:03 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
"I'm just off to smoke a fag."
Oh, yeah - that wouldn't go over well in the US.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish (spain)
Bolboreta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I forgot about the c and s sounds. "Benitez" will be pronounced as "Benites" in LA Spanish right?
Yes, and in a few regions of Spain: The Canary Islands, Andalucía or Extremadura
Old May 28, 2010, 02:24 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
hahaha

Just read around these forums and you'll notice the differences between the languages. English and Spanish.

As for sounding as King James's English. You would have to read the bible in Spanish and then you might be able to "see" my point of view.

Nothing wrong with that though.

Just like in English,some people from "here" or from "there" might get very dizzy when trying to "make out" what the other might be saying... etc. Depends on accent (drawl) and usage (verbiage) and also very important, education/erudition. Same thing(s) happen(s) with Spanish people.

It is no biggie.

EDIT: @pjt33 Minor differences...

Nevertheless we can understand each other

Last edited by chileno; May 28, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:41 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Inglés
Esperar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Oh, yeah - that wouldn't go over well in the US.
It could be interpreted in many ways.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
hahaha

Just read around these forums and you'll notice the differences between the languages. English and Spanish.

As for sounding as King James's English. You would have to read the bible in Spanish and then you might be able to "see" my point of view.
I do read the Bible in Spanish.... I still think that there is a huge difference between current AmE and King James' English. My question is really if the difference between LA Spanish and Spain-Spanish is as great.

Quote:
It could be interpreted in many ways.
You know, "fag" also refers to "bassoon"........
Old May 28, 2010, 03:06 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Inglés
Esperar is on a distinguished road
http://artiewayne.files.wordpress.co...02/faggots.jpg

Old May 28, 2010, 11:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I do read the Bible in Spanish.... I still think that there is a huge difference between current AmE and King James' English. My question is really if the difference between LA Spanish and Spain-Spanish is as great.
I have read king James's version of the bible too, and it isn't terribly difficult.

Don't be overly concerned with the differences in LA Spanish vs. Spain Spanish.

It has already been established that is pretty much like the differences between AmE vs BrE.

You say tomato...bit?
Old May 29, 2010, 01:57 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
spacemaker is on a distinguished road
In Perú we learn all forms of pronouns: Yo, Tu, El, Nosotros, Ustedes/vosotros, Ellos. But in general "vosotros" is not very used. My mother is from Cuzco and use "vosotros" and "ustedes", it doesn't matter which. But I always use "ustedes" maybe because i live in Lima all my life and here everybody says "ustedes". And sometimes I used "vuestro" instead of "su" in my diary speech.

In other words "ustedes" and "vosotros" is still used in South America but in smaller scale. Even so we understand the both forms perfectly.

In primary I learned to pronounce the "Z" like spanish from Spain, that is like "th". But in a everyday life I pronounce the "Z" like "S" just for comfort.

Well, they are minimal diferences. I don´t see great problems there. For example I see that in EA they don´t use "have got". And these doesn´t make the EBr more difficult, but some different for have in mind when talks another person.

En Perú aprendemos todas los pronombres: Yo, Tu, El, Nosotros, Ustedes/vosotros, Ellos. Pero en general "vosotros" no es muy usado. Mi mamá es del Cuzco y ella usa "vosotros" y "ustedes" indistintamente. Y a veces yo uso "vuestro" en lugar de "su" en mi habla diaria.

En otras palabras, "ustedes" y "vosotros" son aún usados en Sudámerica pero en menor medida. Aún así entendemos las dos formas perfectamente.

En la primaria aprendí a pronunciar la "Z" como los españoles, o sea como "th". Pero en la vida diaria comúnmente pronuncio la "Z" como "S" solo por comodidad.

Bueno, son diferencias mínimas. No veo mucho problema en ello. Por ejemplo yo veo que los estadounidenses no usan el "have got". Y eso no hace al inglés británico más difícil, sino algo diferente a tener en cuenta al escuchar a mi interlocutor.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: